E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Self Leveling Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 520d

Originally Posted by vesil' post='514300' date='Jan 6 2008, 04:27 PM
I have been following my car behavior. It's definitely sure that door locking triggers compressor to start. Compressor starts always three secondsafter locking doors first time after driving. It does not restart if I open and lock doors again without starting engine. It does not matter if I step out from car and lock doors immediately after stopping or if I wait five minutes. Still compressor starts three seconds after locking doors. It seems for me that this is a program failure, not a mechanical problem.
Problem solved with new control unit. First they upgraded progman, but it did not help and then they ordered new control unit. I never got any error messages to iDrive, but still the control unit was found defective.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:52 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 525d Tourer, Mystic Blue, beige Dakota leather, 18" alloys, xenons, etc

I have been watching this with interest as mine too is intermittent. Has anyone with a privatley bought, out of warranty car tackled fixing the suspension and if so how much was it to fix? Does the computer diagnose which bit is at fault?
Old 01-25-2008, 04:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

In my case, there were some stored faults but they were of little help in the diagnosis. The SA at my dealership had pre-ordered the air pump as it was a 2 week delivery to Canada from Germany. Popped the new pump in and the problem was solved. In my case it was a situation where the pump could not maintain the required pressure due to an internal leak.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Members

My Ride: december 2011 525d SE
Hi There, I am New to your site but I hope This Helps.
I have an E61 which is still under warranty and I have experienced the same problems with the self leveling suspension as you have.
Bmw changed both bellows on the suspension and said it was cured, but after driving just two miles after picking the car up the warning light again appeared with the same problem.It was taken straight back and after further diagnostics were carried out the suspension pump was changed. This Has Cured The Problem, and so far has Not come back.
Cheers
fifthinarow
Old 01-31-2008, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i SMG , Oriental Blue, Congiac Leather Interior, Nav., Park Assist, Logic 7, Sports Pkg, Cross drilled slotted rotors, ceramic pads, SS Brake lines, free flow air filter and a supercharger (coming soon)etc.....all the good stuff

Originally Posted by ademitt' post='485050' date='Oct 23 2007, 12:29 PM
With the advent of the cooler weather, I have noticed the air compressor for the self leveling suspension running more frequently and for 30 to 40 seconds, particularly after starting the car up from cold. On three separate instances, a warning came up in iDrive indicating a system failure, both while stationary and while driving. It went away after turning off the ignition and restarting the vehicle.

For the previous year, I have not noticed (heard) the pump operating or had any failure warnings. Have any other E61 owners experienced these issues?

I have booked a service appointment but the dealership is several weeks out with their bookings. My concern is that I will bring the vehicle in and they won't find anything wrong or will have to order parts and the car will sit for two weeks.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
What did the warning say exactly?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:30 AM
Members

My Ride: december 2011 525d SE
Originally Posted by SMG353' post='525485' date='Jan 31 2008, 08:24 PM
What did the warning say exactly?
Hi There, It Came Up As
"Self Leveling System Failure"
Cheers
Old 01-31-2008, 02:38 PM
Members

A bit late on this one, but I had the same (especially in cold weather). In the end I had 3 warnings in 3 weeks and a compressor noise running under the back of the car for 40 seconds after turning off. In UK the check control says "level system failure"

Fixed under warranty: new relay, compressor and bag in one of the suspension units.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 05' 525DAT

Originally Posted by TT535d' post='525571' date='Feb 1 2008, 12:38 AM
A bit late on this one, but I had the same (especially in cold weather). In the end I had 3 warnings in 3 weeks and a compressor noise running under the back of the car for 40 seconds after turning off. In UK the check control says "level system failure"

Fixed under warranty: new relay, compressor and bag in one of the suspension units.
I have also the same problem and warnings, but a bit more often. Most frequent in cold weather (0-4d.C.) I'm going to the workshop later this month to have it checked. Last month they had to change the whole panorama sunroof, and now this self level failure. I soon have an "brand new car". And yes, it's warranty left on my car
Old 03-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT Titanium Silver, 6-speed Manual, new style Start/Stop ignition, Black Dakota Leather, anthracite maple wood trim, heated seats front and rear, heated steering wheel, headlight washers, automatic tailgate, auto dimming mirrors, Logic 7, 6-disc changer, sport seats, shadow line trim, rear sun blinds, PDC, adaptive xenons, 18" style 123 wheels, , navigation, voice control, bluetooth, BMW roof rack + bike attachments,

I have been getting a self-leveling system failure warnings of and on for the past month. I took it in today and they said it has a faulty air bag on the drivers side. They had to order the part, and booked me for next week to replace faulty unit. Hopefully that will take care of the problem.