E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Self Leveling Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Faulty pump, unable to maintain pressure. Replaced under warranty.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:46 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d

Originally Posted by vesil' post='485067' date='Oct 23 2007, 08:07 PM
I have not received any warnings, but I have noticed that compressor operates often then I park and lock car. That happens also on flat ground. Compressor keeps running for about 5-7 seconds. I have considered it normal behavior, but for me it does not make sense at all. Why consume battery when engine is not running
Now my car run compressor about 15 seconds after locking doors and the rear goes up about 2cm. I thought that self leveling keep level always std... I reported this to my dealer and they said that behavior of my car is not normal. Self leveling system did not report any errors and system does not leak, so they could not do anything. I keep on monitoring how car behaves and I'll take it back to garage when I know more.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

I had a fault stored which indicated a problem with the compressor hence the replacement.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:56 AM
jcp
Members

My Ride: 530i M Sport Touring LCI. Platinum Gray. Beige Dakota leather. Brushed Aluminium trim. Media package. Side blinds. Auto dim mirrors. Comfort seats. Storage compartment pack. Extended interior light package. HUD. DVD prep in rear. IPOD interface.

Mine has just been in for repair. They replaced the control unit.

Also got a software upgrade which fixed the fact that the steering wheel had stopped moving up out out of the way when the ignition was turned off.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

Yesterday mine raised the back of the car slightly after I shut the engine off. What's the point of that?!
Old 12-30-2007, 07:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 525DTM

Originally Posted by phelix' post='499350' date='Nov 26 2007, 10:58 PM
Yesterday mine raised the back of the car slightly after I shut the engine off. What's the point of that?!
to help you unload luggade from the boot... it is perfectly normal, mine does the same every time...
Old 01-06-2008, 05:27 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d

Originally Posted by vesil' post='498796' date='Nov 25 2007, 05:46 PM
Now my car run compressor about 15 seconds after locking doors and the rear goes up about 2cm. I thought that self leveling keep level always std... I reported this to my dealer and they said that behavior of my car is not normal. Self leveling system did not report any errors and system does not leak, so they could not do anything. I keep on monitoring how car behaves and I'll take it back to garage when I know more.
I have been following my car behavior. It's definitely sure that door locking triggers compressor to start. Compressor starts always three secondsafter locking doors first time after driving. It does not restart if I open and lock doors again without starting engine. It does not matter if I step out from car and lock doors immediately after stopping or if I wait five minutes. Still compressor starts three seconds after locking doors. It seems for me that this is a program failure, not a mechanical problem.

Does anyone has a similar experiences? I have booked new time to my dealer to solve this problem, but it seems that they don't have much ideas what to do.

BTW: This kind of behavior does not help unload luggage. Tailgate is already locked three seconds earlier.....
Old 01-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

I too have noticed an intermittent level control warning. Tends to happen after parked when very cold (at least for here, below 0 C). So far has always cleared after restarting.

Regaring the tendency to pump up a bit after parking, I occasionally get this - but I wondered if it is when I have bashed on the handbrake a bit soon before actually stopped. This makes the back end go down, hence needs to pump up to be level.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Happened to me this morning for the first time. I noticed a strange huming sounds I haven't heard before, and then.. boinggg. If it happens again; hello dealer!
Old 01-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Members

This evening I posted on this topic in the DIY section. My '04 545i has the warning come on in very cold weather. I can reset the warning by turning the engine off then back on as has been mentioned. I also noticed the power steering/suspension oil (CHS11S Oil) was low and was asking if I need to get this specific oil or can I use power steering fluid from the local auto parts store to top the fluid up. Did anyone who had this problem check to see if the fluid was low? If so, did filling the fluid up fix the problem?

Quick Reply: Self Leveling Suspension