E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Problems closing panorama roof

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 E61 520d

Hello,

When I try to close the roof from the tilted position (by pushing or moving the button), it closes but immediately opens again into the tilted position.
After trying to close it for a lot of times it is finally closed but now I don't dare to open it again.
Any solutions or comments to solve this?
Do I have to re initialize the roof?

Thank you very much already for all you inputs,

Dino
Old 03-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

Dino I have exactly the same problem.

I reinitialized it but it did not solve the problem. Have not spoken to the dealer yet as I'm not using this function usually.

In case you want to use it and obviously be able close it until it's fixed, here's what works with me:
You push the "close" button only for a split second and the roof moves down just a bit, probably 5 mm. Then you do it again, and again, in small steps, until the roof closes. When I do it this way in my car, it does not activate the "anti-trap" funcion in the final stage and does not open up again.

I suspect that a sensor for this function is misaligned and that's why the roof always reopens. When I look at the roof panels from above, they all seem to be perfectly aligned (gaps are even everywhere), so I don't think thats the problem. So something with the sensor must be wrong. And its funny that it does not learn with the reinitialization... maybe its completely broken?

Anyone having solved such a problem?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Members

Hi Guys,

Although I cannot comment from personal experience, I have read on Dutch forums this problem occurs frequently with the panoramaroof. I happens because the guide rail systems wears pretty fast. When that happens, the roof does not close smoothly and the safety system thinks something is blocking the roof (like a hand or arm) and automatically returns to open.

There are a number of solutions:

Temporary:
1. do not use the roof ;-)
2. apply some heavy duty grease to the railing system, so opening and closing goes more smoothly

Permanent (expensive)
1. go to dealer, who will charge about 3.000 Euros to replace the roof
2. there is a company here in Holland that will replace all the mechanical parts of the roof with upgraded parts for about 1.000 Euros

Reading about this issue, it was the main reason for me to look for a touring without this feature.

Good luck!

Liam
Old 03-20-2010, 02:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by Liam
Hi Guys,

Although I cannot comment from personal experience, I have read on Dutch forums this problem occurs frequently with the panoramaroof. I happens because the guide rail systems wears pretty fast. When that happens, the roof does not close smoothly and the safety system thinks something is blocking the roof (like a hand or arm) and automatically returns to open.

There are a number of solutions:

Temporary:
1. do not use the roof ;-)
2. apply some heavy duty grease to the railing system, so opening and closing goes more smoothly

Permanent (expensive)
1. go to dealer, who will charge about 3.000 Euros to replace the roof
2. there is a company here in Holland that will replace all the mechanical parts of the roof with upgraded parts for about 1.000 Euros

Reading about this issue, it was the main reason for me to look for a touring without this feature.

Good luck!

Liam
Liam, thanks - good post! Could you please direct me to the Dutch forum where this is discussed? I'm not a master of het Nederlandse Taal, but I manage...
Old 03-20-2010, 06:28 AM
Members

Narvselius,

Check out this long post, Google translate should be able to help

http://www.autoweek.nl/autoreview/20...High-Executive

For relatively cheap repair of the roof, call these guys in the east of the Netherlands:
Wubbe Engineering,
* ing. W.J. Herlaar,
* Leemansweg 10a,
* 6827 BX Arnhem,
* Mobile Phone: +31 64 66 30 289

he has an ad describing it all (in Dutch) but should good for Dino too.
http://link.marktplaats.nl/328915083

Regards,
Liam
Old 03-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Thanks... do you know if his car is pre 10.2005? BMW changed the sunroof from 10.2005 which helped a bit.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Members

no clue - I don't know him personally
Old 03-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my roof. I now know the following:

1) The full BMW fix is a new sunroof and it takes about 9 hours to fit so it's a major job. Cost around £3000 at a dealer!!!
2) BMW may look sympathetically if the car is only just out of warranty because it's a common fault. You'll still have to pay quite a bit to get it fixed though. I think I recollect BMW pay for the parts and you pay 50% of the labour (if you're lucky).
3) Cleaning and lubing the rails didn't help my car.
4) BMW "fixed" mine. What they actually did was recalibrate it so that it only opens to about half tilt. That means it closes just fine. I was happy with that.
5) I've just heard that there's a chap in Bristol (UK) who has developed a fix and the Bristol dealer actually uses him to fix roofs!

Good luck (I avoid using the tilt on mine now).
Old 03-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

Liam, Jason,

can something else go wrong with these rails if they are not fixed? E.g. the whole roof not opening/closing?

I'm not a big fan of the tilt function anyways and I'm just fine with ignoring the problem, unless of course I am about to have a bigger problem with the roof resulting from this?
Old 03-21-2010, 04:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 E61 520d

Hello Everybody,

Thank you very much for all your answers.
I will first try to lubrictate it and then try to re initialise it.

I hope this will work!

Dino

BMW E61 520d (11/2006)

Quick Reply: Problems closing panorama roof