E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Problem with '06 E61 tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my wife's 2006 530xi wagon's tailgate started acting up...it latches upon closing but then there is an extra "pull" from the hydraulic system that puts everything out of alignment and it doesn't seal correctly - interior lights stay on and I get a "trunk open!" warning. Dealer says I need a whole new hydraulic system and is quoting $2k!

In a act of desperation I unhooked the battery for a day, and after rehooking it up everything was fine - felt I was $2k richer. But after a day, the problem is back.

Help!

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D Tourer - Pre LCI

As in it drops to lock and then the system tugs it up again slightly stopping it from locking?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 1Animal1
As in it drops to lock and then the system tugs it up again slightly stopping it from locking?
YES. but it tugs more to the left (where the power strut thing is) so the hatch is not aligned. It's locked, but the system thinks it's not closed because it is not aligned properly. Put another way, it closes straight down. Then at the last second it gets pulled tighter on the left side, creating a larger gap on the right.

Anyone ever see this?

Any help is hugely appreciated.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Once saw this behaviour except it didn't (visibly) pull to the side when rising again when supposed to lock.
This was caused by faulty triggering of the turning latch (the hook) part and which turned to much thus either blocking the tailgate from coming down completely or lifting it up against the locking pin. Same pin where the latch/hook should 'curl' around.

If the turning of the latch is even more unsynchronized I could envision it hooking only partly around the pin and then pushing off against it instead of hooking 'round, thus making the tailgate move sideways. Hope that description makes some sense?

Anyways, this particular problem was solved by exchanging the gateway body module, some 200-300 bucks I believe certainly not as costly as the quoted 2K. This solved the problem instantly and I believe permanently.

Good luck
Old 03-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Theo
Once saw this behaviour except it didn't (visibly) pull to the side when rising again when supposed to lock.
This was caused by faulty triggering of the turning latch (the hook) part and which turned to much thus either blocking the tailgate from coming down completely or lifting it up against the locking pin. Same pin where the latch/hook should 'curl' around.

If the turning of the latch is even more unsynchronized I could envision it hooking only partly around the pin and then pushing off against it instead of hooking 'round, thus making the tailgate move sideways. Hope that description makes some sense?

Anyways, this particular problem was solved by exchanging the gateway body module, some 200-300 bucks I believe certainly not as costly as the quoted 2K. This solved the problem instantly and I believe permanently.

Good luck
Thanks...is the body gateway module located under the spare tire? I'm tempted to try replacing it. Desperate here.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:38 AM
Members
Senior Members

I agree, the boot replacement seems a bit drastic considering the body module or indeed the lock could be at fault..... sometimes i wonder if these dealers know anything at all other tyhan to pick the most expensive unobvious option
Old 03-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Members

I agree, the boot replacement seems a bit drastic considering the body module or indeed the lock could be at fault..... sometimes i wonder if these dealers know anything at all other tyhan to pick the most expensive unobvious option
I know what you mean...when I asked the dealer if they could "adjust it" they nearly laughed. Clearly replace, replace, replace until they figure it out.

Anyway, here is the photo of the gap if it helps (orientation is wrong - sorry). I went out on a limb and ordered a body module and have my fingers crossed. Hopefully here at the end of the week. Will report back then.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Problem with '06 E61 tailgate-photo2.jpg  
Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Members
Senior Members

yup fingers crossed fella

You do know the body module will need coding dont ya?
Old 03-21-2012, 03:15 AM
Members

yup fingers crossed fella

You do know the body module will need coding dont ya?
Crap. Back to the dealer I guess...I'll try a different one this time.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:18 AM
Members
Senior Members

I don't know if i am reading this right and im no expert given my short BMW history... but my gut instinct is telling me your locking mechanism is at fault.

Quick Reply: Problem with '06 E61 tailgate