E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Post a NEW picture(s) of your E61

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY05 E61 535dA

Originally Posted by mmitev
It can get even better - if you get the 16s OEM wheels for the E61 (What you have now are wheels from the 7-series E65..)
Yep I figured I got 7-series wheels. The 16s look a little small IMHO and I doubt they will clear the (larger) brakes on the 535d?
Old 07-26-2010, 03:03 AM
mvd
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E63 650i

Stages 1 & 2 done. No pictures yet. Tinted all windows exp. windshield. M5 mirrors installed.

I think i have lost my Lamin-X....
Old 07-26-2010, 03:07 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by mvd
Stages 1 & 2 done. No pictures yet. Tinted all windows exp. windshield. M5 mirrors installed.

I think i have lost my Lamin-X....
Sounds good
But you know you need to share some pictures!
Or other mods first?
Old 07-26-2010, 06:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Laur3ns
Thanks all!

Pics? Are you trying to get rid of them?
I do need another set of wheels for the winter and I could dedicate the current wheels for that.

OTOH, I have two race cars and want all the comfort I can get on the street So quite happy with 17's.
I might just as well get another set of exactly these wheels

FWIW, I'm trading my Alfa Romeo 159 2.4JTDm automatic for this one, all for the better

Yes I have them already off the car. (8 months old)
They are in perfect condition with great tyres.

Here's a link to my car when they were still on.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/990...&#entry1178040
Old 07-27-2010, 01:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Laur3ns
Yep I figured I got 7-series wheels. The 16s look a little small IMHO and I doubt they will clear the (larger) brakes on the 535d?
correct! did not think about the brakes when I wrote this
Old 07-29-2010, 01:32 AM
mvd
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E63 650i

Originally Posted by xBMWx
Sounds good
But you know you need to share some pictures!
Or other mods first?
Actually..i need to wash her first then i can take few pics..."little" bit of bugs on front....gotta love Finland
Old 07-29-2010, 05:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by mvd
Actually..i need to wash her first then i can take few pics..."little" bit of bugs on front....gotta love Finland

I still can't the bugs off of my car after my last visit to Germany -- if you hit them at 250km/h they seem to become ingrained into the paint I need to find some better cleaning products

Good luck getting yours clean and look forward to seeing the pics...
Old 07-29-2010, 06:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by xBMWx

I still can't the bugs off of my car after my last visit to Germany -- if you hit them at 250km/h they seem to become ingrained into the paint I need to find some better cleaning products

Good luck getting yours clean and look forward to seeing the pics...
high speed bug splashes (in hot weather) are the most horrendous contaminant I have experienced so far

Here my bug removal routine:
1. wash car front with water and shampoo, then continue to soak really well with water and shampoo, for 15 min with multiple wettings
2. wash again with mitt, dry, spray with anti-insect spray (I have Nigrin, a german brand)
3. keep wet with this chemical and gently (really gently) rub with the special insect sponge, the one wrapped with nylon net. this net will damage the paint if you rub hard, so very carefully here, then wash down what has come off
4. now use your fingernail to break the few large remaining spots of bugs guts.
5. one last wash with shampoo and it should be fine
6. ideally wax it so that bugs are removed easy next time

obviously this is a lot of work, but if the car is really splattered, this is the only way to clean it without damaging the paint. I have done this 3 times so far, but not waxed yet. I hope the wax will help.

you can take shortcuts of course, but be careful - i had pieces of clear coat come off my bumper after being too rude with some seemingly innocent bug splatters.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Black E61 530Xd - M-sport - Comfort - Advantage

Originally Posted by mmitev
high speed bug splashes (in hot weather) are the most horrendous contaminant I have experienced so far

Here my bug removal routine:
1. wash car front with water and shampoo, then continue to soak really well with water and shampoo, for 15 min with multiple wettings
2. wash again with mitt, dry, spray with anti-insect spray (I have Nigrin, a german brand)
3. keep wet with this chemical and gently (really gently) rub with the special insect sponge, the one wrapped with nylon net. this net will damage the paint if you rub hard, so very carefully here, then wash down what has come off
4. now use your fingernail to break the few large remaining spots of bugs guts.
5. one last wash with shampoo and it should be fine
6. ideally wax it so that bugs are removed easy next time

obviously this is a lot of work, but if the car is really splattered, this is the only way to clean it without damaging the paint. I have done this 3 times so far, but not waxed yet. I hope the wax will help.

you can take shortcuts of course, but be careful - i had pieces of clear coat come off my bumper after being too rude with some seemingly innocent bug splatters.
Just leaving to the garage to clean my car.
The easiest way to clean the front is to use Swisswax Cleaner Fluid (I´m using medium) after the wash. Then put new wax on and thats it. It takes 15 min to clean and rewax the front, but hey atleast the clear coat will shine like new
Old 07-29-2010, 07:27 AM
Contributors

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated

I have another trip to Germany planned at the end of August, so will do a proper lengthy clean after that -- maybe even have it done professionally. Until then, the advice you gave should get rid of the worst of it.

Quick Reply: Post a NEW picture(s) of your E61