E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

PLEASE HELP! E61 Power Tailgate Problem With Unique Symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 02:57 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e61 530xiT
Default PLEASE HELP! E61 Power Tailgate Problem With Unique Symptoms

Hello all,

I have already read basically everything that available about this problem but have yet to find someone who had the same problem as me. Since I have owned it, the tailgate on my '06 530xiT will resist opening and closing, making it very difficult to use. When I press the button on the inside of the trunk, it will move up or down about an inch at a time, but that's it. The electric latch works and I have replaced all of the wiring leading to the trunk in order to eliminate the chance of this being an electrical issue.

For the hydraulic pump, I completely drained and replaced the old fluid, but I am now am experiencing no resistance from the tailgate, as it does not stay in place and falls due to its own weight. I have even tried using a separate pump (AND hydraulic strut outside of the car) and have experienced the same results: the pump only engages for a second and then stops working (except now it won't move the strut an inch like it used to). I can see the hydraulic fluid leave the reservoir but no strut movement as a result.

I've ordered a new gas strut for the passenger's side because the outer plastic is cracked, and am hoping that this better supports the hydraulic strut on the driver's side. If anyone has any suggestions or advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2020, 05:22 AM
New Members

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Touring 6MT, 2001 325i 5MT
Engine: N54, M54

I replied to you on Bimmerfest but missed the point there where you said the reservoir empties but the arm does not move... that’s really weird. Does it fill back up again? Or is it just pumping the fluid out and making a big puddle somewhere under the pump? If you press the button while pulling or pushing the liftgate does it run for more than a second? I’m curious if the pump is sensing too much resistance and stopping so see if you can remove that resistance yourself by assisting.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:58 AM
New Members

My Ride: e61 530xiT

Originally Posted by kd7iwp
I replied to you on Bimmerfest but missed the point there where you said the reservoir empties but the arm does not move... that’s really weird. Does it fill back up again? Or is it just pumping the fluid out and making a big puddle somewhere under the pump? If you press the button while pulling or pushing the liftgate does it run for more than a second? I’m curious if the pump is sensing too much resistance and stopping so see if you can remove that resistance yourself by assisting.
The reservoir will fill up fully when i close the trunk again, and I am not losing any fluid. I just don't understand where it could go if it is not powering the hydraulic strut. I made sure to fully bleed the system and make sure there were no air bubbles when i put it back together. I have held the button but the pump only activates for a quarter of a second and then shuts off. I have tried guiding it up with my hand using the button but with no success. The only way I have been able to make it somewhat function is hooking the pump up to 12V power and guiding it up, bypassing the car's electronics. My plan from here is to replace the gas strut on the other side as well as the HKL module. If that does not work then I am wondering if the hall sensor in the strut is defective, and is preventing the strut from knowing where to move.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:06 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 BMW 530xi Wagon
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54

I had a different tailgate problem and had my shop convert my tailgate to manual open & close. I had my shop perform the conversion from this thread on Bimmerfest. WOrks great, no more issues.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...t=e61+tailgate

Old 07-13-2020, 01:36 PM
Probation Members

My Ride: E61 530 xdat cli -07

My 4M bolt version to The top of The ball... just Be carefull no to drillpdrill too deep to be able to put The screw in... well... Much cheaper eather way than new one since cylinder is working fine. Does The replacing The non hydraulic Strut ease The wearing and prolong The lifespan of expensive hydraulic... Meaby changing that too since it's original from 2007... Just need to find The Part number...
Old 08-06-2021, 03:33 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61 Plat Grey

Any update on your tailgate. I just replaced my pump and fluid. Everything works but when it's in the open position it cannot support its weight and slowly closes
Old 08-06-2021, 05:57 AM
New Members

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Touring 6MT, 2001 325i 5MT
Engine: N54, M54

Originally Posted by Zacurry95
Any update on your tailgate. I just replaced my pump and fluid. Everything works but when it's in the open position it cannot support its weight and slowly closes
Are you sure that your secondary strut is still working? Might need to refresh that one.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:47 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61 Plat Grey

Originally Posted by kd7iwp
Are you sure that your secondary strut is still working? Might need to refresh that one.
Yep refreshed the strut as well.. wasn't an issue until I rebleed the system
Old 02-27-2023, 09:17 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61

Originally Posted by Zacurry95
Yep refreshed the strut as well.. wasn't an issue until I rebleed the system
Hi! Sorry for answering old post but did anyone find solution why E61 automatic tailgate starts to drop after opening?

Everything else works perfectly opening, closing, locking