E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

phenryiv1's 530xiT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 05:51 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xiT, 2001 325ciC, 1989 325iC
Model Year: 2006

Cooling woes continue. I drove the car to work yesterday (with a jug of distilled water in the back just in case) and things were fine. No puddles under the car that I could see, but as I got ready to head home I got a "Coolant too low" warning. I topped it off and drove home.

Once there, I checked the level (still good) and put the car up on ramps.

I took off the lower splash cover https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_5089 in an attempt to find the leak but no luck. I let the car run for over 30 minutes and never saw a drop of coolant. I checked the tube over the radiator and it was completely dry, and checked every hose connection that I could while I was under the car.

At that point, I assumed 2 things:

1. The drop in coolant level was the result of the car "burping" and the level dropping accordingly, and,
2. The small amount that I saw under the car was the result of spillage when removing and/or refilling the tank, since some coolant was on top of the splash shield.

At least one of these assumptions were incorrect.

I decided to try to drive the car to work today (it is supposed to be 97* today) and the E30 - though a convertible - lacks A/C (and if it rains, driving in 97* weather with no A/C and the windows up is a bit uncomfortable) but as I left me development I realized that leaving the front splash shield off was not going to work, as the back panel is held in place by the screws from the front panel. I turned around with plans to install the crews or the whole shield (while on a dirty garage floor, dressed in work clothes, no less) but I saw more coolant pissing out of the lines near the radiator. At least I could now locate the source of my leak.

Based on this https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_0742 it looks like I need at least 17127521778

And maybe some hoses from here, if I find anything else wonky: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_3755

Last edited by phenryiv1; 07-13-2017 at 04:44 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:03 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by phenryiv1

Based on this https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_0742 it looks like I need at least 17127521778

And maybe some hoses from here, if I find anything else wonky: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_3755
jesus, i had no idea there were that many coolant lines on these cars.

sorry to hear about your issues, but i'm glad you've potentially tracked down the problem.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:14 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by BostonJon
jesus, i had no idea there were that many coolant lines on these cars.

sorry to hear about your issues, but i'm glad you've potentially tracked down the problem.
Me neither. I tried to explain it to a buddy of mine who (like me) has an E36. He recommend that I just replace all the lines on the front of the cooling system, just like most older BMW owners do. The E30/36 has a limited number of hoses. This thing is a mess. I was over $600 in hoses alone.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:17 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

Me neither. I tried to explain it to a buddy of mine who (like me) has an E36. He recommend that I just replace all the lines on the front of the cooling system, just like most older BMW owners do. The E30/36 has a limited number of hoses. This thing is a mess. I was over $600 in hoses alone.
i'm used to an upper/lower hose and heater core hoses and that's about it.

sadly, it's probably easier to replace some of them together rather than dig in there a few different times to replace them one by one.

are you positive that the leak you're seeing is due to a faulty hose/clamp and not a abnormal buildup in pressure that is finding the path of least resistance to escape?
Old 07-12-2017, 10:04 AM
New Members

i'm used to an upper/lower hose and heater core hoses and that's about it.
Same here. Hoses to/from the radiator, coolant overflow tank, and the thermostat/housing/water pump, plus the routing to the heater core. That is it.
sadly, it's probably easier to replace some of them together rather than dig in there a few different times to replace them one by one.
I considered that but to be quite blunt, I am spread pretty thin on disposable income (read: car money) right now. I run a side business in addition to my real job and things have been slow. All car money comes from the side gig, plus I just got back from vacation (where I dipped into car funds for some fun stuff). I just dropped money into doing the cooling work on the E30 and am still trying to finish my E36 this summer, but that may be back-burnered even further.

I ended up ordering the offending hose and a few fasteners that were missing from the splash pan, plus a new radiator drain plug (those tend to fail). If this fix does not work then I will just run down the list of hoses on RealOEM and replace them all. The one that looks to have failed is actually fairly easy to access. If I have ot start doing other ones then the mess of interconnections are probably best served with a total replacement of all of them. And with 130K on the car right now it might not be a bad idea anyway, but I would like to see what this hose does for the problem.
are you positive that the leak you're seeing is due to a faulty hose/clamp and not a abnormal buildup in pressure that is finding the path of least resistance to escape?
At this point I am not really sure about anything. I still have no idea how it ran for 30 minutes last night with zero leaks and then it ran for less than 3 minutes today and was hemorrhaging coolant.

Logically, one might deduce that there is a blockage caused by the thermostat failing to open but I don't know how likely that is. I have seen leakage after being parked, and the thermostat should have opened last night during 30 minutes of idling in a garage when ambient air temperatures were 90* or better.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:49 AM
New Members

Added my photos to the post above.

Also, while I was under the car and awaiting drips that never materialized I did go ahead and install some Nokya yellow fog light bulbs. The off-white color of the stock bulbs always bothered me, given the contrast with the HIDs. No more:

On a not-so-happy note, there was a LOT of oil on the underside of the motor:

Old 07-19-2017, 01:44 PM
New Members

So the replaced coolant tank did not solve the problem. After almost a week of waiting for the replacement lower radiator hose it finally arrived.

I give up on the picture links. I'll post them later.

Last edited by phenryiv1; 07-19-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:00 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

I give up on the picture links. I'll post them later.
Yeap because your pictures are never visible
Old 07-21-2017, 04:45 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by pocholin
Yeap because your pictures are never visible
All of the links are broken in the whole thread or just the more recent ones?

I use PhotoBucket and my early posts have the PB links. Recently I tried Google Photos. I can see all but my most recent post.

Do do any of them work for you?
Old 07-21-2017, 05:09 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

All of the links are broken in the whole thread or just the more recent ones?

I use PhotoBucket and my early posts have the PB links. Recently I tried Google Photos. I can see all but my most recent post.

Do do any of them work for you?
Cannot see any of them...not a single one, just to be redundant ;-)