E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

pdc

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 05:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 525i touring 2004

Hi Guys,

Recently engaged reverse gear on my e61 525 and two of the distance sensors are indicating red as if something was right next them and emitting a solid beep. The rest of the system seems to be functioning fine , i have not had an idrive failure message to inform me of a fault. I have cleaned them with iso propanol and checked them for the clicking sound and they don't appear to be any different from all of the other normal functioning sensors.

Im a bit confused as two what may be the problem, i guess i could it could be the control module, but if that was the case the rest of the system would have failed..

I was wondering whether any of you guys had experienced anything similar and could point me in the right direction

thanks

ads
Old 08-28-2012, 06:04 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530d 2005 M sport, individual, shadow line

Mate,

This is kind a common problem with PDC. I am having right now exactly same problem, with 1 sensor, which always engaged, showing an obstruction, but there isn't any. in my case it was an easy fix, PDC the last on left, i could change it without removing bumper.
There are plenty aftermarket sensors, but i recommend original one.

Good luck and do not loose faith with BMW!

Originally Posted by ads500
Hi Guys,

Recently engaged reverse gear on my e61 525 and two of the distance sensors are indicating red as if something was right next them and emitting a solid beep. The rest of the system seems to be functioning fine , i have not had an idrive failure message to inform me of a fault. I have cleaned them with iso propanol and checked them for the clicking sound and they don't appear to be any different from all of the other normal functioning sensors.

Im a bit confused as two what may be the problem, i guess i could it could be the control module, but if that was the case the rest of the system would have failed..

I was wondering whether any of you guys had experienced anything similar and could point me in the right direction

thanks

ads
Old 10-01-2012, 02:12 AM
New Members

I've viewed forum as guest in past - very very helpful. I think my 2005 e61 has reached the wiring in the tailgate problems time. Central locking not working and posts and advice on that have been very helpful. I've got a local garage having a look at that for me today.
However this is an ask for advice on pdc problem. The pdc mostly doesn't work. The light in cockpit flashes, the pictogram shows - but no beeping or flashing lights on pictogram.Nor is there any continuous beep indicating fault on sensor. EXCEPT - if it's been dry, warm and sunny, I get the whole system working again. In Scotland, dry ,warm and sunny doesn't happen a lot! I read about water in boot under spare wheel storage and investigated. That whole area of electronics appears very dry. My question? Has anyone had similar problem and where should I look, what should I try next?
Appreciate any help.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

jbhibee - activate the PDC and put your ear close to the sensor. There should be a quiet click-click sound, and if there isn't the sensor is faulty.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:15 AM
New Members

Thanks. I'll try that tomorrow.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:47 AM
New Members

I've tried listening for clicking noises but can't hear. Seems to be a slight buzzing noisa from them. After the car stood in relatively warm sun for an hour last week, the PDC system worked again! Unfortuneately it stopped working after a 30 minute journey. The details are - as I started the journey, the PDC was working - FULLY - correct visual display and warning noises. I parked again after 15 minutes and on restarting tried PDC again - working FULLY. Got home after a further 15 minutes - tested PDC again and not working. Does anyone have any ideas on the likeliest place to look for this erratic fault?
Old 10-16-2012, 01:12 AM
Members

Not quit sure, but sounds to me that the wires have a problem, could be broken, have heard that about the PDC
Old 10-17-2012, 11:49 AM
mop
Members

Same Error here and I have just received a new cable for the rear sensors as Holtz also suggested. It is about 50 Euro.

It will be installed in the next 14 days so I hope that would cure the fault.
Btw It is raining today and I noticed that all 4 sensors were dry so they are on the system somehow :-)
Old 10-24-2012, 11:35 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

I needed to get 3 rear sensors replaced on my car. PITA