E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Park Distance Control (PDC)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 04:28 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530d Sport Touring (E61). Silver Grey, Automatic, Professional SatNav, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Folding Mirrors, 6CD changer, Bi-Xenons, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by sumu' post='466219' date='Sep 5 2007, 04:40 PM
Though I'm no expert, it is my understanding that faults are logged along with a code allowing the dealer to see whether faults have occured and what they were.
That's good to hear - there's nothing worse than trying to describe a random fault to a dealer in the hope that they will fix it!
Old 09-06-2007, 08:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Mike:

The sensor delivery times are pretty variable. I was told that it would be a couple of weeks for mine to arrive - they turned up two days later!! The Dealer had a lead time of 10 days before I could get the car in the workshop, so I took the sensor off his desk and swapped it outside his door in 30 seconds!! - but it was one of the easy ones to get at I must say.

Mike
Old 09-07-2007, 05:24 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 525I SE Touring, Silver, Black Leather, bluetooth prep, 18" 8J runflats

Hi Mike,

I had the same on my 04 reg E61 back last winter.

fault was intermittent but its all logged on the diagnostics and I had the rear left sensor replaced
under warrenty.
No problems from BMW getting it done even though it never faulted when it was at the dealer!

took just under 2 weeks for mine to turn up and be replaced.

Paul.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:33 AM
Members

My Ride: (June '05) E60 530d Sport, Silver Grey, Blk leather, Auto, BT, Comms package, 6-disk multichanger,.......£1302 for a dealer fitted towbar.........

Originally Posted by Mike O' post='461703' date='Aug 23 2007, 03:37 PM
No, I thought it got sorted when I had the software updated but now it's back and as bad as it was before. It always clears itself and sometimes I can see that the sensors are working even when the warning message is being displayed. As with your car, a restart on its own isn't enough to clear the warning.

Quick update: Car went in yesterday for a few bits and pieces to be sorted, couldn't get the bloody PDC to fail for the technician, but he later found that one of them was faulty anyway.

3week leadtime for a new one.

Simon.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring (E61). Silver Grey, Automatic, Professional SatNav, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Folding Mirrors, 6CD changer, Bi-Xenons, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by TACTRAS' post='479473' date='Oct 9 2007, 05:33 AM
Quick update: Car went in yesterday for a few bits and pieces to be sorted, couldn't get the bloody PDC to fail for the technician, but he later found that one of them was faulty anyway.

3week leadtime for a new one.

Simon.
I've got my car booked in for another problem to be checked out so I'll ask if they can look at the parking sensors as well, but guess what, my recurring PDC failure warning has failed to recur at anytime over the past month! Hopefully something will have been logged by the car that the technicians can look at instead.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Reading this thread with great interest.

Learned a lot, thanks guys and give hell to your dealers if they do not co'operate.

I'm just wondering how the PDC is going to work in our winter?
Old 10-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Members

Please keep us up to date on this issue
Old 07-23-2009, 12:30 AM
jer
Members

Originally Posted by Mike O' post='449592' date='Jul 19 2007, 12:55 AM
I keep suffering from an apparent intermittent failure of my PDC, i.e. almost very other time I use the car I get the failure warning chime and a big '!' mark on the dashboard. Most times the PDC is clearly working despite the warning and the fault nearly always clears itself when I restart the car.

Anyone else suffered the problem or even know what the cause is. I know that if I take the car to my dealer it will work perfectly and I won't be able to replicate the fault!!

Ditto bought one off Ebay in right colour. Began wrestling with nearside rear sensor clip that's hidden behind a plastic guard that is part of the bumper. As it was difficult decided to double check word of mecahnic with respect to which sensor was not working. All tick. Try the car and it works fine. A wiggle of the cables at least in the short term fixed it.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Members

My Ride: E91 sport + touring

I was getting the same warning and the master tech in my local dealer after I'd been in a couple of times with the car(fault never appeared while at the dealer)told me to clean out the rear sensors with WD40....

So I thought may as well give it a go as I had nothing to loose,one can of WD40 with the tube bit attach to the nozzle and gave it plenty of sqoosh around the sensors....and two months later the fault has never reappeared since.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Senior Members

I've just had the same problem with my E61. Seems to be worse when car is wet. I've read that failure can be PDC unit in boot, wiring short, paint-off-the sensor, failing sensor - not sure what to believe, guess I should take it to dealer.

Quick Reply: Park Distance Control (PDC)