E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Panoramic Sunroof stuck with both panels tilted up

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 03:56 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 525d manual touring. Beige comfort leather, panoramic sunroof, hifi and blinds option.

I shouldnt have put it through all its different positions ? anyway, yesterday I put both panels of the roof tilted up. Since then one of the rear corners of the rear panel is blocked up. It tries to close, and three of the four points (2 on the front panel, and one on the rear) go down smoothly .. problem is that the final corner doesnt budge, and the motors immediately reverse back to full tilt. I can get it to clsoe with 3 points closed, but that?s twisting the rear roof panel...

Any help gratefully received. I have TIS DVD installed on the PC, so will look there (not so easy) .. Am hoping there is a relatively easy fix..

Have tried a moderate ampount of force both up and down from insisde and out during various attempts .. No joy...

It was working so beautifully !

No way can I afford to have BMW waste 3 hours and tell me it needs taking completely out ... am going to try manual allan key manoevers ? but thought there may be others who have already tackled this fault ?

(2005 E61 525 d)
Old 03-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E91 sport + touring

My panoramic roof jammed in the tilt position on Friday and after a couple of hours I managed to get it down(manually) and closed but,took it into the dealer this morning and they say the cable that pulls the chock type things that tilt the rear section has snapped and therefore a complete module needs to be replaced at a cost of over 2k UKP.Needless to say I didn't get it repaired and I'm going to contact BMW although the car is over 4 years old I feel a component that doesn't exactly get used a lot should fail in this manner.The cost of the roof option when the car was new = 1150 UKP so I can't get my head around this 1500 UKP just for the module with motor and cables comes from at all?
Old 03-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Members

Update on my stuck sunroof,after a visit to Douglas Park's bodyshop in Glasgow the guy who checked out the fault on my roof submitted a goodwill claim to BMW on my behalf for a replacement sunroof module and two new motors.
After a week they came back with an offer of 100% goodwill payment on the parts.So I'm delighted with that and Parks have agreed with me that the 10 hours for changing the roof over will be charged to me at ?37.50 per hour.

Car goes in on Weds this week for a couple of days(free courtesy car from DP's) and instead of a bill around 2.5k I now have a very very respectable ?450 inclusive of vat etc.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by colb666' post='829549' date='Mar 29 2009, 07:21 AM
Update on my stuck sunroof,after a visit to Douglas Park's bodyshop in Glasgow the guy who checked out the fault on my roof submitted a goodwill claim to BMW on my behalf for a replacement sunroof module and two new motors.
After a week they came back with an offer of 100% goodwill payment on the parts.So I'm delighted with that and Parks have agreed with me that the 10 hours for changing the roof over will be charged to me at ?37.50 per hour.

Car goes in on Weds this week for a couple of days(free courtesy car from DP's) and instead of a bill around 2.5k I now have a very very respectable ?450 inclusive of vat etc.
Up-date on roof problem. The dealer replaced the "module" and two motors so all is well again and they only charged me ?396 inc vat. Think they were a little shocked when I gave them back the new Mini Clubmans key which they'd leant me for three days as it went from 11miles to 784 miles in that short time.Guess it's nearly run in for the next person
Old 05-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525d manual touring. Beige comfort leather, panoramic sunroof, hifi and blinds option.
Originally Posted by colb666' post='837556' date='Apr 6 2009, 01:26 AM
Up-date on roof problem. The dealer replaced the "module" and two motors so all is well again and they only charged me ?396 inc vat. Think they were a little shocked when I gave them back the new Mini Clubmans key which they'd leant me for three days as it went from 11miles to 784 miles in that short time.Guess it's nearly run in for the next person
Quick update from me .. I also managed to get the roof down manually, and as it all works just fine (except for the tilt), and as I dont fancy spending ?400 minimum, plus all the hassle .. am going to live without tilt ..

Rest of it is all just perfect .. !
Old 05-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Members

My 2004 E61 Touring has a similar problem. Open the panaramic roof on tilt and it won't close. It tries and gives up.

Haven't approached the dealer yet. But plan to this week.

Using the manual winder you can bring it down, but gently does it as it's stiff. Interestingly the sunroof initialisation (hold the lift button for 75 seconds+ with the ignition on) does bring it down so I think mine's the anti-trap sensor/mechanism or it's all just too stiff....
Old 05-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Members

Been to the dealer today. My sunroof would have been under a BMW insured warranty but the dealer told me they reprogrammed it on the computer and it's fine.

It is but what they've done is limit the travel on the lift. On an initialisation cycle it can lift say 4 inches and you can see the runners and how it is supposed to do that. It now lifts say 2" but it closes fine.

I'm actually happy with that but I think I'll use it from time to time to stop it seizing up again.