E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Panoramic sunroof rattles - driving mad

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

My baby is back in for a service on Tuesday (after another 1k weekend trip!).

I have asked them to have another go at stopping the perpetual rattling from the panoramic sunroof. It is driving me nuts.
The rattle is coming from the back, left hand corner of the big front panel. If you can get the rear passenger to hold their hand on this peace resumes - but passengers seem to object on a 500 mile run.

The dealer took the panel out and refitted at last service - but rattled all the way home.

As ever, THEY don't know how to fix it - do YOU ?
Old 03-15-2006, 01:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i HUD, comfort seats, PDC, moon roof, Logic 7, Nav, Steptronic, K7 and diffusers, Aux-in for iPod!

when my sunroof was rattling, they put a strip of sticky backed velvet along the whole metal strip. the rattle has not returned since. maybe you want to give this a try.

good luck. I lived with it for weeks before finally driving to the service center.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY 2004 545i Touring, High Executive Line, Comfort Line II, Vision Line II (Dutch specced Packages), Color: Oxford Green. Interior: Black/Black leather. Trim: Dark Popular wood. Gear: Steptronic 6-speed Other options not incuded in above packages: M-Sport aero kit, sports suspension, heated steering wheel, rear side-airbags, front screen with green upper part, panorama roof, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels with Dunlop RFT's, HiFi Pro/LOGIC7, alarm class 3, heated seats rear and voice recognition. Waiting for february delivery of 325i Touring and 130i

my panorama sunroof only rattled when it was very cold; the same roof on our 325iT is very silent (also in the cold).
Old 03-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Senior Members

An update. They decided to replace the whole sunroof - lent me a car for 4 days whilst the parts came and were fitted (quite a job I gather).

So far so good - almost silence when travelling (except for the minor rattles and creaks previously masked). Will keep you posed if it stays this weay after a few weeks.

Impressed with the service this time.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i Touring, M Sport, build date 10/05, Silver Grey, Black leather, Maple Anthracite, Anthracite roof lining, panorama roof, M Aerodynamic, M Steering wheel, M Sport suspension, sport seats, shadow line, 135 M wheels, Goodyear NCT 5 runflats, and some other stuff too.

Mine too. A tiny ticking rattle. Will see if it gets worse. Never happened in my Audi
Old 05-05-2006, 06:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d touring eletta 2006: 272 HP (560 Nm), A08 Silver Gray, LCSW black leather (dakota), 522 bi-xenon headlights, 402 panoramic sun roof, 508 PDC, 589 17" styling 122, 609 navi prof & dvd, 205 steptronic (standard), 488 lumbar support, 502 headlight cleaning system

Originally Posted by mwsu545i' post='255345' date='Mar 16 2006, 12:58 AM
when my sunroof was rattling, they put a strip of sticky backed velvet along the whole metal strip. the rattle has not returned since. maybe you want to give this a try.

good luck. I lived with it for weeks before finally driving to the service center.
hi everybody,

well actually mine does too .... but only when it's opened (in both cases, i mean both interior shade opened and glass opened, and interior shade opened and glass closed), since my car will be in for maintenance in two weeks, do you have any pics of the modification applied to your ? i could bring those to bmw in italy and
ask for the same thing.

thanks so much for help, alberto
Old 05-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='255334' date='Mar 15 2006, 05:34 PM

I have asked them to have another go at stopping the perpetual rattling from the panoramic sunroof. It is driving me nuts.
The rattle is coming from the back, left hand corner of the big front panel. If you can get the rear passenger to hold their hand on this peace resumes - but passengers seem to object on a 500 mile run.

The dealer took the panel out and refitted at last service - but rattled all the way home.

We took ours in complaining about the sunroof and to our surprise they took it out and replaced it - all fine so far. Except for a new rattle caused by the roof lining banging against the roof behind the sunroof now. So it's back in again next week. And this after a delivery rattle from the bulkhead and creaking front doors (both fixed - the latter by replacing both door seals).
Old 05-14-2006, 08:28 AM
Members

[quote name='Mike.Allen' date='May 6 2006, 12:55 AM' post='278668']
We took ours in complaining about the sunroof and to our surprise they took it out and replaced it - all fine so far. Except for a new rattle caused by the roof lining banging against the roof behind the sunroof now. So it's back in again next week. And this after a delivery rattle from the bulkhead and creaking front doors (both fixed - the latter by replacing both door seals).

Latest on this is that the new roof lining rattle is the product of poor clips between the lining and roof rearwards of the sunroof. They are to be replaced but have had to be ordered by the dealer.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Members

My Ride: e39 525i Touring, will order e61 as soon as I can decide on engine and options...

Mine does not rattle but when driving at 80-90 km/h the air starts to wobble in the car (wobwobwobwob-sound) as if the air deflector was not raised high enough. Is it supposed to raise gradually whe driving at high speed?

/M

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='255334' date='Mar 16 2006, 12:34 AM

Old 07-20-2006, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

The full sunroof was replaced on warranty - off the road for 3 days but so far has been a perfect cure.

Provided only opened to first position, I don't have any problem with wind buffeting even up to 80-90 MPH. But if slide fully back then get that noise you refer to from just 30-40 MPH (50-60KPH) - I assume the fully back position is just for when parked or in slow traffic jam

Quick Reply: Panoramic sunroof rattles - driving mad