E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

OMG my Aircon's not working...let's get it regassed....

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 05:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

It's odd isn't it? I've lost so much faith in this car with all the things that have gone wrong with it, that when something isn't quite right, you aotomatically assume the worst.

So it was recently with the aircon. We'd had a warm spell after it'd been cold for a while and I wanted the car cold. Turned it right down and it was still blowing warm air out. Started thinking about getting it regassed or taking it somewhere to be looked at.

It was only a couple of days later, I remembered that you can control the temp of the centre vent and I'd put it to warm, as it had been so cold.

D'oh.

THere's no real moral to this, other than sometimes it's not the car's stupid fault, it's mine.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad that you resolved the issue

This has happened to me quite a few times though, actually even today, in the reverse form! In the freezing cold morning I was wondering how much fu***ng time will the car need to warm up the coolant and start blowing warm air through the vents? I was already blaming myself why I did not change the main thermostat before the winter, and how can the engineers not only construct a thermostat that fails so often, but also make the car's heating dependent on it...??? I was MAD ....

... until I realized that my dash vents are set to the coldest setting in the iDrive.
And the car was blowing warm air through the feet vents all the time.... which were set to "minimum strength"!

To me though, the fault does not lie with us, but with the Munich Geniuses. Consider the following:
1. E90 cars have a physical hot/cold temp button on the dash, that changes the temp of the dash vents, plain and simple.
2. E60 LCI cars have a shortcut that automatically gets you the iDrive menu with the dash temp settings when you adjust the aircon.
3. F10 has TWO (!) temperature adjuster wheels (plain, smple, mechanical) on the dash, one for the driver and the passenger.

Conclusion? Our pre-LCI cars are just not properly thought through (i.e. crap) in this respect, and BMW knows that pretty well! :thumbsdown:

PS. Excuse the rant, I love my car so much that sometimes I get really angry.