E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Newby Estate Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 11:26 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535xi w/sports package
Default Newby Estate Questions

Idaho Greetings,

Have just aquired a '08 E61 535xi to replace the wifeys WRX. This will be her daily driver and our primary snow car. Wanted a manual but.......kinda a search for the holy grail.

I have lots of NOOB questions but will start slow (I hope). Car has an extendered warranty w/service but not for long. Approx 73k - fuel & water pumps have been replaced.

1. Anybody you would recommend for continued extended warranty? We once packed a turbo impeller w/mormon crickets (long story) so strange stuff seems to happen. Obviously not looking for service just a little peace of mind.

2. Service intervals - none too impressed with the I Drive recommends - (thing is very clunky). What is recommended? Would like another 75k of use. Is this a reasonable/attainable goal?

3. Have all service records but have not waded through. Dealer service is scheduled for early Dec - can I march in w/$50 and request a full fluid change along w/blow out of the 4 sunroof drains? The advisor seems reasonable but what does the service warranty get us in real life?

4. Car has optional 18" rims. Plan on going down to 17"s for snows - have had awesome performance w/studs on the Sube - tall and narrow. What size rims/tires - I'm not well schooled here. 16's an option? Used cheap rims from? Anyone of you low profile sticky rubber Dudes wanna sell a set?

5. Check engine - emission light just went on. I'm betting that this is due to the very crappy gas at the local C-Store Mrs. Snow frequents (has happened before). No obvious knocks or stutters. Any issues w/ limited driving until our service?

Thats all for now - I'll shut my pie hole. The Estate is awesome - we are happy potato people. Gonna getto with a rack, box and a 2" receiver - ( like the Tork Lift folk - another world - has anyone had a hitch buillt with them recently?)

Thanks for the advice fella's.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:15 PM
New Members

90 views but no love? Tough crowd.

1. Ordered some 17' wheels and sticky studable rubber for the local shop to spoon on. Any suggestions on alignment? Tires that came with the car worn on the inside - I'm thinking toe???

2. Extended warranties. A lot of third party options. Any provider/seller recommends?

Thanks. JT
Old 12-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Congrats on the car.

If you use search in the forum, lots of your questions would be answered, which is perhaps why noone's biting.

Extended warranty - it's insurance. Some buy, some don't. There's no rule. If you can afford to fix the car, I say fix it. Extended warranties are there to make the insurance company money overall. If you buy, see who your dealer recommends, since that's where you'll get it serviced, and see what package you want to buy. There's lots of fine print and things not covered. It's not just like an OEM one that's extended.

Are you asking if the car will last you 75k with maintenance? That's an odd question...

Noone can answer your service warranty question since noone knows what you have and its details. Why don't you ask your advisor? I don't see how blowing air thru sunroof drains is a warranty item though...

Check out Tire Rack for wheels and tires and play around with the combos. It will tell you the smallest size you can go.

Solid check engine means you can keep driving it til you get it checked out. It's in the manual too.

Hitch - there's a big thread on here about it. Again, search.

Enjoy the car.

Last edited by Lotus99; 12-05-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 530XiT
Model Year: 2006

Some of the service intervals according to iDrive are a joke, oil changes being the most hilarious. Don't trust that one. Pollen filter and brake fluid have been spot on, thought.

Trans & diff fluids are considered "lifetime" but that officially means 100k miles. A reputable indie shop can take care of those sometimes more easily than a dealership (who will insist the fluids will be good for ever and ever.)

My experience with BMW service ad visors is to make your requests reasonable and then stare them down. They won't change the "lifetime" fluids under the service warranty unless something goes wrong with the drive train (my experience).

Be careful when changing the wheels as the AWD system is picky about rolling diameter sizes. It will trigger warnings. I know nothing about any of it so you are better served to search the E61 forum. As goes for the trailer hitch. I've seen 911s with trailer hitches so there must be one for a BMW.

Enjoy your wagon. They are very nice cars.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Originally Posted by h2o_snow
90 views but no love? Tough crowd.
Really?

How about a thanks afterwards?

PS If you're going to log in and read the thread (your public profile shows your last login), might want to at least thank those who've replied...

Last edited by Lotus99; 12-10-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:06 PM
New Members

Two Petal - thanks.

Re: wagon.

1. Our first trip to the dealer was a bit of a joke. The "Advisor" manage to get fired between bringing in and picking up the car. My thread questions revoved around what to expect w/a BMW service contract. Answer - need to wait until at least 1,000 miles within a "recommended" oil change for service. I don't believe in "lifetime fluids" so I called a recommended local indie shop and will be headed there. Roof drains are clear.

2. Still considering a longer term third party warranty. Past experience with failing turbos, pistons & bearings prompted this question. Its a gamble but I'm interested in others E61 upper mileage experiences. Fuel & water pumps, and a few coils/plugs have been replaced. Sue likes her wagon so we will see how it fairs as a family ski ride. Is 150 - 175K with significant winter use a reasonable life goal? I don't know.

3. Car is now on 17" rims w/studded snows. Scheduled for alignment with a recommended shop. Prior inner tire wear issues. Interested in your thoughts. Toe?

4. Lotus - I have done my homework and read applicable threads. Entering into ownership of a new ride and am trying to gather some forum thoughts. Our decision was: no SUV, AWD, 4 person comfort, some carrying capacity and a little performance. Drove a 535 and liked it. Have no idea if the car will be capable for the long term or a huge pain in the ass (and yes, I'm into maintainence).

5. Very interested if anyone else has put another 2" reciever on an estate and/or used Torklift. We have fab shops here in town but we are weighing options. Intended use is pulling a light <600lb boat - we sail beach cats. Departure angle is a definate issue.

Thanks again & happy holidays. JT
Old 12-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 530XiT
Model Year: 2006

Hi h20_snow. Happy to help.

1. Wow, that is a bit of a joke. My first dealership experience consisted of two weeks to program a new battery. The advisor told me it was fine because it is a "Ultimate Driving Machine." I almost walked out. Good that you found an indie shop.

2. My family has a 1997 525 with 112k miles that has weathered many a Boston winter (salt, salt, and more salt) with rust just beginning to show on the bottom of the driver's door. All in all, a very winter-worthy vehicle (with snow tires).

My 2006 has 84k miles and the only major driveability problem I have encountered was a failed coil pack. With routine and preventative maintenance, I would imagine your car will last well beyond 175k miles. I have not experienced rust issues. My indie shop has a customer with 215k on a 2001 7 series.

BMW inline-6 engines are very strong and durable. It is true that the turbo version has had issues with the turbos but also the high pressure fuel pumps. You might have more lucking searching for 535xi HPFP and turbo problems than from anything I could tell you.

3. Prior inner tire wear. Hmm, I am not sure. The only thing I can think of is bad alignment or maybe a failing control arm.

4. I am keeping my 530 for the long term. It's maintenance seems more of a pain because so much of it was designed to be a PITA like the lifetime fluids. One needs a computer to check coolant level and has to use iDrive to check oil level. I hear the new "F" series BMWs will garner some creative F-based nicknames.

5. Again, I know nothing about towing but your manual should tell you how much weight it can tow. Keep in mind the rear suspension is air-based.