E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

new guy's questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased 2006 350xit. so fun to drive and it's really rare in S. Cali.
My friend asked me "They have bmw 5 series wagon?"...
anyways, I have few questions to ask, please feel free to comment, I need some help.

1. I'm planning on purchasing VMR VB3 sometime next month.
Some say get all same size wheels because it's AWD but some told me I can have staggered set up
19 x 8.5 front and 19 x 9.5 rear. is that correct?
if it is possible, what about the tire sizes?
can I run different size tires and not have any problems with AWD sensors? if they have such thing?
I'm asking because one of the wheel shop tech told me it can have problems.
please clarify for me, totally new to BMW.

2. Lowering issue.
My brother also has an e60. but his car is lot lower than my car. he said he purchased
sport package which comes with sport suspension.
I am planning on lowering my e61 but same wheel guy told me that Wagons come with some kind of
sensor for the rear suspension and it can't be lowered. is that correct?
if not what method is the best way?
I'm don't have money to purchase coil-overs. i'm probably gonna go with
springs. which springs will work the best which will provide the look I want and provide the best comfort?

thanks for your time.

switching over from Lexus to BMW is so confusing but loving the drive.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 530i with some mods

to the boards....... I'm sure someone with a wagon will chime in to answer your questions... Be sure to post pics of your new (to you) ride!
Old 12-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Congrats on the new car and enjoy the forums!! I'm sure our E61 guys will chime in here very soon!
Old 12-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

What's a "350XiT"?

kiddin'

Congrats on the purchase! Best of luck with it.

About your questions:

1. Yes, you can run staggered setup on the X-drive, but you have to make sure that your overall rolling diameters of front and rear wheels are as close to one another as humanly possible. 245/35/19 and 275/30/19 seems to be the best combination. Maaaaaybe 285s in the back, but that's pushing it. Google "overall tire diameter calculator" or smth like that - you'll find it (I think its at 1010tire.com).

IMPORTANT: Make sure you get the right offsets for your car. On X-drive, the best staggered offsets seem to be ET33 front and ET35(maybe ET38) in the rear. Stock offset is ET43, but as you see, your wheels are sitting really deep in the wheel wells, so you can go a lot more aggressive.

2. Lowering an X-drive is already tricky. A sedan's suspension is different - the wagon has a self-leveling feature (I think) in the rear, which makes it even more complicated. Forget about springs. Just forget it. You may indulge yourself in extensive research, but you will come up to the same conclusion I'm about to give you: springs do not work when lowering the X-drive cars. You will only be asking for trouble. Get the coilovers - your choice (if you can call it "choice") is simple - ONLY KW V3 is available for this car. Make sure you order the ones that are for the E61, not the sedan. And contact member macfly - he's got the best prices on the KW's.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1074474' date='Dec 16 2009, 12:19 AM
What's a "350XiT"?

kiddin'

Congrats on the purchase! Best of luck with it.

About your questions:

1. Yes, you can run staggered setup on the X-drive, but you have to make sure that your overall rolling diameters of front and rear wheels are as close to one another as humanly possible. 245/35/19 and 275/30/19 seems to be the best combination. Maaaaaybe 285s in the back, but that's pushing it. Google "overall tire diameter calculator" or smth like that - you'll find it (I think its at 1010tire.com).

IMPORTANT: Make sure you get the right offsets for your car. On X-drive, the best staggered offsets seem to be ET33 front and ET35(maybe ET38) in the rear. Stock offset is ET43, but as you see, your wheels are sitting really deep in the wheel wells, so you can go a lot more aggressive.

2. Lowering an X-drive is already tricky. A sedan's suspension is different - the wagon has a self-leveling feature (I think) in the rear, which makes it even more complicated. Forget about springs. Just forget it. You may indulge yourself in extensive research, but you will come up to the same conclusion I'm about to give you: springs do not work when lowering the X-drive cars. You will only be asking for trouble. Get the coilovers - your choice (if you can call it "choice") is simple - ONLY KW V3 is available for this car. Make sure you order the ones that are for the E61, not the sedan. And contact member macfly - he's got the best prices on the KW's.
Thanks! I wrote...350...wtf...530xi...
Old 12-16-2009, 01:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by smpzone' post='1074514' date='Dec 16 2009, 05:05 AM
Thanks! I wrote...350...wtf...530xi...
If there was a 350, I'd definitely get it in a coupe variant for sure

Anyway, I (and apparently, everyone else) totally got what you meant, so no worries - I was just busting some newbie chops

Hope I didn't turn you off from your new purchase with my previous comment, but I really can't stress the importance of researching the springs enough - we've had several members with X-drive cars drop their cars with springs alone and I've spoken to every single one of them via PM to get the most detailed impressions. Everyone - 100% - says the ride gets ruined - maybe not all are using the same words, but I get the point. Personally, I place a huge amount of attention to the ride and handling, because I take my car to the limit. But even if I didn't, I'd still want my BMW to drive like a BMW.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Welcome to the forums as well!!!
Old 12-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 06' 530xi E61 Saphire Black / Dakota Black - aluminum 11' A4 Avant 2.0T Brilliant Black / Black - aluminum

Welcome to the board!

We are in the same situation as we picked up a used 2006 530xit as well last week. I've been trying to figure out what wheels to get for next summer, I was debating CSL style wheels also (VMR VB3 or AluFelgen SF71), I have a set of 230's laying around too and was recommended the style 128's which look good imho!!!

Staggered is fine from the info I've read, it really is a matter of personal preference.

Check out some pics in my post and please post pics of findings or when you get your set of wheels!

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=90382

Cheers!
Old 12-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Members

Thanks therussian. appreciate your help.
so I'm not going to lower it since I don't want to mess with quality of ride.

another question.

I noticed the rear height is same with my brother's 5 but his front is lower than mine.
is taht only for sport package?

while i'm at it, let me shoot out some more questions.

So, all picture of wagons I saw on forum is not dropped?
So if I fit 19's, it will fit and look good? not riding too high?

Maybe it's because I drove lowered Lexus IS, i'm not use to it yet.

can oyu guys post some picture of your e61? especially the ones not dropped but with 19" wheels
for me to see and believe that it looks good?

when I get the mtec kit, VB3, black kidney grill, and shadow line trim...i'll be broke for a while.

Quick Reply: new guy's questions