E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

New to BMW - Chuffed

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Touring E61

Hi all,
I just bought a 2006 535D Touring and am really chuffed.

On the drive back picking it up (about two hundred miles) it averaged 40 MPG (OK, it was 39.8, but as the wife will tell you, I'm prone to exaggeration).

It is a lovely Metallic Burgundy colour, which I haven't seen many of.

It seems to have loads of extras - Sat Nav Professional, Voice activation, Heads up display (that is way cool, never seen it before, but now I have it, I would want it every time!!), Cruise, CD Drive & CDC, BlueTooth, Memory seats with the extra comfort controls, Automatic boot opening/closing, Auxiliary heating, M-Sport Alloys, Auto lights and wipers, Parking sensors on the screen, iDrive, Service pack indicator, Tyre pressure sensors, Dual Zone A/C plus all the usual gear (some of that may be standard anyway, I wouldn't know) and a couple of things I haven't figured out yet.

Plus - it goes like a train. Wow.

The ride is a bit lumpy, plus it follows the road lines quite noticeably, but I'll check the tracking and I'm going to do away with the run flats, as they have such stiff side walls I'm convinced they ruin the ride.

Did about a hundred mile run today with more brisk driving and still managed around 34 MPG.

Always been a huge Audi fan (and always will be - love Quattro), however I couldn't afford the new shape Allroad I wanted and saw this, so decided to jump in. Pleased I did.

Do all of my own repairs generally as I used to be an RTE (Renault Technical Expert), but I'm getting old, fat and forgetful, so am learning the art of asking others for advice (or as I believe it's called - being lazy).

Can someone tell me where on the car the sticker (if it has one) is that lists all the extras fitted to the car is.

Also, it seems to link to my iPhone for calls via bluetooth, but does anyone know if I'm able to listen to music that way also, or do I have to use the little aux in 3.5mm socket in the back for that?

Thanks for your time.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by Muppet_Man
I just bought a 2006 535D Touring and am really chuffed.
Great choice! No wonder you're a very happy man.

The ride is a bit lumpy, plus it follows the road lines quite noticeably, but I'll check the tracking and I'm going to do away with the run flats, as they have such stiff side walls I'm convinced they ruin the ride.
That's what you get with RFL. After you ditched them you will be amazed; the difference is huge. Also, don't forget to buy a mobility kit to make up for the loss - BMW has one; works excellent but it's pretty expensive.

Can someone tell me where on the car the sticker (if it has one) is that lists all the extras fitted to the car is.
You won't find that on the car; what you need to do is to contact your nearest dealer and let them print the full list of your car; on that list you'll get the production date and which plant it was made in.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:22 AM
Members

Thanks for all of the info.

I'm off to the dealers next week.

I've managed to buy the spare space saver wheel, jack and other bits and bobs off of E-Bay yesterday for about £140.00 So I should have everything in there. Although I'm not sure where I will re-locate the tow hitch once that goes in there as that currently lives in the place the wheel will go.

Looking forward to the new tyres though.

Cheers
Old 09-08-2010, 05:14 AM
Members

Nice ride sir!!

Got a 535D Msport myself 2 months ago and so far done 4000 miles in it, most of that on a holiday down to the parents in the dordogne. I agree the RunFlats need to go!! Looking at changing them this week if i can agree terms for trading in my wheels.

You must drop some pics, never seen one in this colour!

The iphone connection is complex and expensive, basically you need to upgrade the to a compatible cable (lose the cd autochanger) and get the dealer to reprogramme the car for MP3 (sure the forum expert will correct me).

And it looks like the only option you are missing bar the pana sunroof is the chauffeur!!!

Enjoy!!! And welcome.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Members

I'm having my new tyres on Saturday week once my spare has arrived, although I'm keeping the original wheels to save the money.

I've decided to buy the Dension Gateway 500 for my iPod. It seems to do everything I want plus I don't loose the use of the multi-changer. My single CD drive seems to play MP3 discs anyway, so perhaps I'm OK there.

Providing it doesn't persistantly precipitate on Sunday, I'll get some good photos then and post.

Thanks for the reply, I'm now trying to convince the wife to put on a suit and a chauffeurs hat
Old 09-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Members

We are enjoying our newly acquired 2007 Xit. Would love to have it in diesel. What sort of power and acceleration do you get?
Old 09-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Members

Really pleased with the get up and go.

Right from the line it goes like the clappers and on the fill up tonight it averaged 29.2 MPG. It looks like you can have your cake and eat it.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is an Xit?
Old 09-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Members

Really pleased with the get up and go.

Right from the line it goes like the clappers and on the fill up tonight it averaged 29.2 MPG. It looks like you can have your cake and eat it.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is an Xit?
X - for X drive (four wheel drive)
i - fuel injected
T - Touring (station wagon where I come from)