E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Need some serious advice with the problem!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

if there's not humming, look to control arms first!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525DTM

I would bet it is upper shock pivot joint (or however is it called), it behaves this way when it is worn/damaged (feel in SW, not sure about that vibro coming to your but, have you checked your missed calls on cell? :-) ) everything else is fine? exhaust hangs fine, engine mounts etc did not suffered from that impact?
btw-Israel is a great country to visit, isnt it? :-)
Old 07-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Black E61 530Xd - M-sport - Comfort - Advantage

Originally Posted by StreetPro' post='957040' date='Jul 28 2009, 10:38 PM
I would bet it is upper shock pivot joint (or however is it called), it behaves this way when it is worn/damaged (feel in SW, not sure about that vibro coming to your but, have you checked your missed calls on cell? :-) ) everything else is fine? exhaust hangs fine, engine mounts etc did not suffered from that impact?
btw-Israel is a great country to visit, isnt it? :-)
THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION!

The dealer didn?t get any answers from the factory/ importer yet. I?ll let them know tomorrow about this...

I have personally checked the exhaust under the car and it seems to be OK (no odd sounds or anything like that). From the enginebay its impossible to check.
Engine mounts haven?t been checked, but there isn?t any clap in the drivetrain. I tell them to check the mounts while they are installing the Webasto.

Hopefully I get another time to the dealer to start finding the problem again. Atleast now I have some new information and choises to start looking for the failure.

This FORUM is great!!!
Old 07-31-2009, 06:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Seip??nreik?' post='957105' date='Jul 28 2009, 10:18 PM
THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION!

The dealer didn?t get any answers from the factory/ importer yet. I?ll let them know tomorrow about this...

I have personally checked the exhaust under the car and it seems to be OK (no odd sounds or anything like that). From the enginebay its impossible to check.
Engine mounts haven?t been checked, but there isn?t any clap in the drivetrain. I tell them to check the mounts while they are installing the Webasto.

Hopefully I get another time to the dealer to start finding the problem again. Atleast now I have some new information and choises to start looking for the failure.

This FORUM is great!!!
Just to add some tips to the allready valuable ones you got here. With vibrations it is best to try to determine the frequency of the vibration. At 80km/h the wheels spin about 10-11 times every second so the vibration you would feel is about 10Hz which really feels like a vibration. The wheels however are driven via a final drive which reduces the spinning of the wheels by a factor 3-4. So the drive shaft comming from the gearbox spins about 4 times faste which equals 40Hz at 80km/h. This would be a very fast vibration almost more like humming. The wheelbearings have several balls in the bearing, lets say 8 balls which would generate at least 80Hz or higher if more indentations present. This is a low humming sound.
These were vibrations caused by spinning components but there are also torsional vibrations cause by play in attachments. These cause vibrations almost equal to the wheels but are dependent on the forces applied to it. For instance when braking play in the rods will be more profound then while accelerating.
Anything felt through the but is probably comming from the back. I myself once had a difficult to cure vibration in a E39 which was caused by worn suspension rubbers of the back axle. The dealer kept convincing me that the rubbers were ok so I had them replaced at my own risk. The dealer was astaunished and ever since replaces the rubbers as soon as anyone complains about vibrations.

I hope this helps
Old 09-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

G O O D N E W S!
HOORAY! WOOHOO!!!

Today I FINALLY got it solved! It only took 4 trips to the dealer...

Before this day they changed both upper pivot joints from the front shocks. Also hub and bearing from the front right side. None of this had any affect to the problem. With the dealer we tried to convince the insurance company to change all the possible parts (hubs, drive shafts, control arms) to the right side, but they disagreed.

So today we continued with the program and changed the hub and the bearing to the back and now the vibration is gone. The bearing was quite badly damaged which was causing the main vibration.
After this the steering wheel was still vibrating so we changed the drive shaft and now its perfecto. I don?t know how the drive shaft was damaged, it might have been the joints.
Unbelievable relief to get it all fixed. D*mn its been buggin? me 5 months
These issues were quite small things after all, but the main thing was the time consuming battle with the insurance company and then just waiting things to happen.

Thanks a lot for everybody who helped me with this issue...and after all those hints were correct

Mika
Old 09-01-2009, 09:40 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

This is great Mika!

I know this has been REALLY bothering you, but now it's gone and you can concentrate to enjoy driving it (and modding of course)!!!

And I don't have to listen to your complaining about the car every time we meet! Just kidding mate!
I'll call you at weekend so you can come and check the interior lighting .
Old 09-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by Seip??nreik?' post='994974' date='Sep 1 2009, 01:04 PM
G O O D N E W S!
HOORAY! WOOHOO!!!

Today I FINALLY got it solved! It only took 4 trips to the dealer...

Before this day they changed both upper pivot joints from the front shocks. Also hub and bearing from the front right side. None of this had any affect to the problem. With the dealer we tried to convince the insurance company to change all the possible parts (hubs, drive shafts, control arms) to the right side, but they disagreed.

So today we continued with the program and changed the hub and the bearing to the back and now the vibration is gone. The bearing was quite badly damaged which was causing the main vibration.
After this the steering wheel was still vibrating so we changed the drive shaft and now its perfecto. I don?t know how the drive shaft was damaged, it might have been the joints.
Unbelievable relief to get it all fixed. D*mn its been buggin? me 5 months
These issues were quite small things after all, but the main thing was the time consuming battle with the insurance company and then just waiting things to happen.

Thanks a lot for everybody who helped me with this issue...and after all those hints were correct

Mika
Congratulations!!!

And its a nice thing insurance company covered - apparently at least some of - the expense (bet it wasn't cheap).
Old 09-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='995617' date='Sep 2 2009, 08:37 AM
Congratulations!!!

And its a nice thing insurance company covered - apparently at least some of - the expense (bet it wasn't cheap).
Thanks!

Insurance covered it all...I had a special insurance abroad and Turkey belongs to their list of countries covered...so absolutely no probs with that.
It was just annoying to wait for them to decide what parts are ok to be changed and then waiting to have time for the dealers garage.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by Seip??nreik?' post='954385' date='Jul 26 2009, 02:15 AM
I will find some time in the near future to write some stories from the 8000km roadtrip from The Middle East to Scandinavia.
Excellent that you managed to get everything sorted out!

Now, about the road trip write-up... Still waiting!
Old 09-02-2009, 07:29 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

That's great news Pleased to hear you got it all sorted and the costs covered.