E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Need help with new shocks/struts

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 06:43 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with new shocks/struts

First time posting and I just found out I need all four shocks on my 2006 530xi wagon and just have some questions like if I should replace springs and should i stick to oem . I'm not looking to drop it just want the comfort back it's my daily driver . I did find bilstein HD but the fronts for xi cost about $100 more then stock shocks and i found rear bilstein hd for $115 usd with free shipping any advice would be appreciated ... Thanks
Old 01-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would be interested to see what you find out. I don't need new shocks or struts, but have been looking at an upgrade to improve the handling and the challenge is the rear air suspension. While there are shock/strut/springs available for the front, only the full coilover KWV3 @$2500 offers rear height adjustment with the air shocks. Bavarian Auto (who sells Bilstein shocks for front) did not have a solution.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xiT Silver/Gray with Sport, Nav, Cold, Convenience, Logic7 and more.

Originally Posted by Checkmate
First time posting and I just found out I need all four shocks on my 2006 530xi wagon and just have some questions like if I should replace springs and should i stick to oem . I'm not looking to drop it just want the comfort back it's my daily driver . I did find bilstein HD but the fronts for xi cost about $100 more then stock shocks and i found rear bilstein hd for $115 usd with free shipping any advice would be appreciated ... Thanks

Checkmate, if your car is under 500,000mi and you are not dropping your suspension and you liked you stock ride then you should keep your oem springs - they are not affected by mileage.

Now with Bilstein shocks you get lifetime warranty e.g they will replace them or rebuild them to like brand new shocks condition if you ever have any problems with them. I don't know about OEM shocks warranty, but personally I am fine with my stock ride even with plus sized tires.

Phoenix,
rear height adjustment is fairly easy to achieve on self-leveling susp by
1. replacing stock fixed-length rear links with custom adjustable length links - norwegian was selling them on this board for about $70-$80 - just search around.
Or if you are handy you can definitely make a pair yourself.
2. rotating height sensor (in the rear wheel well) to fool car's computer
3. reprogramming car's computer at a dealer or maybe some one with the cable and software can code it for you by now.

Too bad KW still charges us for 4 shocks instead 2 - so unfair.
Otherwise I'd be all over those coils.