E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

My New 535d (2005) - What about retrofitting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 535d M Sport Touring
Wink

Well, I?m collecting a 2005, 535d Sport Touring (UK Model) on Wednesday. although the car has quiet high spec, there?s items I would still love to get on there!

The Spec the car will be coming with is

Silver Grey
Beige Nasca leather

Media Package
Visibility Package

Active Steering
Rear Side Airbags
Panoramic Glass Sunroof
Side Blinds - Manual
Auto-Dim Int + Folding ext. Mirrors
Active seat ventilation front
Active front seats
Comfort Seats - Electric
Rear Seat Heating
TV Function
Hi-Fi system Professional Logic 7

However, I would love to look at the possibility of retrofitting the Heads up Display, Voice Activation & Active Cruise Control

And then some nice to haves such as Night Vision and anything anyone else would suggest?

What do you think the feasibility of doing these would be and what kind of costs involved? Or am I just insane?

Ryan
Old 04-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Originally Posted by ryanosborne' post='416584' date='Apr 22 2007, 06:42 PM
Well, I?m collecting a 2005, 535d Sport Touring (UK Model) on Wednesday. although the car has quiet high spec, there?s items I would still love to get on there!

The Spec the car will be coming with is

Silver Grey
Beige Nasca leather

Media Package
Visibility Package

Active Steering
Rear Side Airbags
Panoramic Glass Sunroof
Side Blinds - Manual
Auto-Dim Int + Folding ext. Mirrors
Active seat ventilation front
Active front seats
Comfort Seats - Electric
Rear Seat Heating
TV Function
Hi-Fi system Professional Logic 7

However, I would love to look at the possibility of retrofitting the Heads up Display, Voice Activation & Active Cruise Control

And then some nice to haves such as Night Vision and anything anyone else would suggest?

What do you think the feasibility of doing these would be and what kind of costs involved? Or am I just insane?

Ryan
Voice is relatively easy - couple of hundred quid if you find a switched on dealer.

HUD is dodgy as the windscreen is special and you also have to change half the dash.

For my money, retrofitting active cruise comes somewhere below cutting the lawn with scissors

The existing spec seems to have most of the good stuff, sounds like a superb car. Congrats on finding such a good spec.
I would enjoy that first and then see how you feel.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Members

Thought as much regarding the HUD and active cruise but its something id never the less will end up looking into some more.

I think I will defo get the Voice if its only that price! its a shame is was not part of the Media pack until recently.

Does any one have a list of what was included in the Visibility and Media pack for the 2005 models?

And ofcouse will post up some pictures when I pick up!

Ryan
Old 04-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ryanosborne' post='416642' date='Apr 22 2007, 01:43 PM
Thought as much regarding the HUD and active cruise but its something id never the less will end up looking into some more.

I think I will defo get the Voice if its only that price! its a shame is was not part of the Media pack until recently.

Does any one have a list of what was included in the Visibility and Media pack for the 2005 models?

Ryan
Voice seems cool, but it's pretty worthless.

Not worth of your money in my opinion.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:24 AM
Members

I focus more on mechanical / riding improvements than on elctronics.

.-Std suspension is a bit behind the car?s performance (My opinion). What about going for the "Sports" one?

.- An ECU remap?

I have gone further than that, since now I have intstalled a M5 steering wheel with paddles, connected to the Steptronic box, so that you can change gear with your fingers, while hands at wheel
Old 04-23-2007, 02:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Originally Posted by ryanosborne' post='416642' date='Apr 22 2007, 09:43 PM

Ryan
Visibility pack was just Xenons and the headlight turning function combined in a better price.

Media pack gave you Pro-Nav and pro tuner, CD changer and bluetooth phone - iirc.

I think auto headlights and auto wipers are standard rather than in the pack but you should get them too.

Don't agree with JP about the voice, I retro-fitted it and it is both an amusing toy and a good way to shortcut the i-drive menus. Great for Nav input and phone dialing particularly. For BMW to include it (just after my car was made ) says something.

Re-map is a good plan. Contact simon@e-maps.co.uk, really knows what he is doing.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:30 AM
Members

I did try the Voice Control on a demo car about a year ago and i must admit, i did love it!

I was planning on a remap/chipping the car; I?m going to play around with it for about a month before I do, then ill appreciate the additional performance it will bring

Being a 535d Sport, should the suspension be sport in this case or not?
Old 04-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

My advice would be to do enough of research and get all parts that require a software upgrade like Voice, Aux, iPOD etc done at once. It does save a lot. CIP v25 by itself is nw , in my view, worth upgrading to even if you don't add anything else.

In the visiblity pack you got the headlight washers too.
The Media pack also had 6 months of BMW Assist free.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:08 AM
Senior Members

The Sport does have sport suspension as standard, and once you get rid of the runflats it is a decent setup IMO.

Many 535d's have been remapped so you may find that the car has already been done. Emaps or someone of their calibre will be able to tell you once they download the existing map.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:11 AM
Members

I have seen so much bad about the run-flats. Is there anyone who rates them? There must be some benefit of them surly?

Also, good idea bout AUX and IPOD at the same time. Is it now possible to have CD changer and IPOD and AUX at the same time? I seen various posts but cant seem to come to a clean conclusion

What does BMW Assist actually provide? Is it worth subscribing too?

Quick Reply: My New 535d (2005) - What about retrofitting?