E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

e61 Wagon KW v3 Issue

Old 09-04-2017, 08:53 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xiT Sport Wagon. MHD, CP, DCI.
Default e61 Wagon KW v3 Issue

Hey guys i have an 08 535xi wagon. i have ordered some kw v3s for the wagon. Ive installed them and everything however the rear struts seem to be pushing the top nut up and down a couple of mm. I took the rears out and triple checked that i have the pieces correct, as i understand it , it goes strut, bump stop, large washer, cylindrical washer, and the two rubber bits that go around said cylindrical washer, then the metal of the car. up top it should be another huge washer and the top nut. I replaced the kw bump stop with the stock one and it seems to have stopped the movement issue by about 30 percent. Not sure if its a rebound issue i need to check or what. Did anyone else have this issue? The curious part of me wants me to try adding a washer or something but thats never a good idea unless it specifically calls for it. ill mess with it more after work.

Also, while i'm here, what is the lowest you guys recommend dropping it without hurting other suspension parts. *mainly axles* (19 inch wheels)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Wagonator; 09-04-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:23 AM
New Members

My Ride: Car

disclaimer: I haven't messed the 5 series suspension but have on several other cars

my guess would be from bottom to top: bumpstop, washer, "cylindrical washer" (aka spacer so you don't crush the rubber isolators), rubber should sandwich the body metal of the car to isolate the damper NVH from the body, then 2nd big washer and nut.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:45 PM
New Members

that makes sense. all are in place but theres still movement underneath. all rubber is technically underneath the body though correct? thats how the diagram seems to show it. im at the point where im looking for little dumb things i could be easily just be overlooking.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:44 AM
New Members

I talked to KW today. They mentioned they dont think a blown damper is the issue. They actually recommended i try some washers.. Ill get home and throw a couple in each side and see if it helps.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:09 AM
New Members

well for whatever reason this last time I put them in there seems to be no issue.. im just not even going to question it.

Aside from that weirdness (which nobody else seems to have) this was a super easy job.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:49 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

Glad to see installation has come to a happy ending, it has been fun following this up

Search this Thread