E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Maximum revs indicator faulty !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d Touring MY2004, executive line, shadowline, comfortline II, leather, aux.input, heated seats, bluetooth, auto dimming interior mirror, steptronic 6 speed, removable hitch

As I was reading some old topics, I found a topic about the hidden menu (not the navi one, it doesn't work for me).
I did the trick and it worked !
At last I can see the actual cooling water temperature of the engine (menu item 7).

After that I was curious about the maximum revving indicator... is it a calculated output of cooling water and oil temperature (THAT would be the only good indication) or would it just be linked to the cooling water temperature ....

Well... a bit disappointing, but it seems completely related with the cooling water temperature only.
But, something very disturbing is that the indicator goes to maximum revving at a cooling water temperature of 75 degr. Celc. !!!! (every time again)
After that the cooling water heats up to a normal 90 to 92 degr. Celc.

So, the car gives you a ?you can use me sign? at a point that the cooling water and engine oil is not at a normal operating temperature and thus by revving the engine at that point will give you above normal wear an tear of this engine.....
Old 04-14-2005, 03:37 AM
Members

My Ride: Ordered: 530D Touring Silver Gray (A08), Auburn Dakota Leather (LCRK), Maple Wood, Steptronic, Bluetooth, 116 style 17'', Railbars, Sport suspension, Sport stering wheel

Originally Posted by Hans NL' date='Apr 9 2005, 01:01 PM
As I was reading some old topics, I found a topic about the hidden menu (not the navi one, it doesn't work for me).
I did the trick and it worked !?
At last I can see the actual cooling water temperature of the engine (menu item 7).

After that I was curious about the maximum revving indicator... is it a calculated output of cooling water and oil temperature (THAT would be the only good indication) or would it just be linked to the cooling water temperature ....

Well... a bit disappointing, but it seems completely related with the cooling water temperature only.
But, something very disturbing is that the indicator goes to maximum revving at a cooling water temperature of 75 degr. Celc. !!!!? (every time again)
After that the cooling water heats up to a normal 90 to 92 degr. Celc.

So, the car gives you a ?you can use me sign? at a point that the cooling water and engine oil is not at a normal operating temperature and thus by revving the engine at that point will give you above normal wear an tear of this engine.....?
[snapback]113417[/snapback]
How did you get to the secret menu to see water temperature???
Old 04-14-2005, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Hans NL' date='Apr 9 2005, 03:01 PM

What makes you say that it's only related to the coolant? In other words, what did you see that made you rule out that it's not connected to oil temp or something else?
Old 04-20-2005, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 14 2005, 06:46 AM
[quote name='Hans NL' date='Apr 9 2005, 03:01 PM']After that I was curious about the maximum revving indicator... is it a calculated output of cooling water and oil temperature (THAT would be the only good indication) or would it just be linked to the cooling water temperature ....

What makes you say that it's only related to the coolant? In other words, what did you see that made you rule out that it's not connected to oil temp or something else?
[snapback]115258[/snapback]
[/quote]

For about a week I checked the indicated temperature in the hidden menu and the rev indicator from a cold engine to a warm engine.
In that week the outside temperature varied from -3 to about 15 degr.Celc.
The trips varied in lenght, 15 - 50 km (although this shouldn't make a difference).

EVERY time the temperature reaches 75 degr.C. ,the revving indicator goes to its maximum indication (diesel).
After that the temperature still rises to about 92 degr.C. (what would be a healthy cooling water temperature).

I'm not completely sure that the indicated temperature is the cooling water or maybe the oil temperature, but it's absolutely (software) connected to the revving indicator.
Although I'm pretty sure it's the cooling water (considered the driving time versus the indicated temperature).

The hidden menu is discribed in other posts, you can enable it by pressing the reset button of the day-km-counter, twist the key in position 1, depress the button as soon as you see some odd message in your check control display, press/depress shortly to get to menu item 17( I think),wait a bit it and the display shows 'lock: on', press/depress the total of your last 4 digits of the cars serial number, you're in !, menu item 7 (I think) is the cooling water temp.
Have fun
If you're n not getting there, I 'll check it up completely and write it down accurate instead of trying to remember it (just a bit lazy, not wanting to get out of my chair )
Old 04-20-2005, 08:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d Touring MY2004, executive line, shadowline, comfortline II, leather, aux.input, heated seats, bluetooth, auto dimming interior mirror, steptronic 6 speed, removable hitch

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Apr 20 2005, 06:04 PM
[quote name='Rudy' date='Apr 14 2005, 06:46 AM'][quote name='Hans NL' date='Apr 9 2005, 03:01 PM']After that I was curious about the maximum revving indicator... is it a calculated output of cooling water and oil temperature (THAT would be the only good indication) or would it just be linked to the cooling water temperature ....

[snapback]115258[/snapback]
[/quote]

For about a week I checked the indicated temperature in the hidden menu and the rev indicator from a cold engine to a warm engine.
In that week the outside temperature varied from -3 to about 15 degr.Celc.
The trips varied in lenght, 15 - 50 km (although this shouldn't make a difference).

EVERY time the temperature reaches 75 degr.C. ,the revving indicator goes to its maximum indication (diesel).
After that the temperature still rises to about 92 degr.C. (what would be a healthy cooling water temperature).

I'm not completely sure that the indicated temperature is the cooling water or maybe the oil temperature, but it's absolutely (software) connected to the revving indicator.
Although I'm pretty sure it's the cooling water (considered the driving time versus the indicated temperature).

The hidden menu is discribed in other posts, you can enable it by pressing the reset button of the day-km-counter, twist the key in position 1, depress the button as soon as you see some odd message in your check control display, press/depress shortly to get to menu item 17( I think),wait a bit it and the display shows 'lock: on', press/depress the total of your last 4 digits of the cars serial number, you're in !, menu item 7 (I think) is the cooling water temp.
Have fun
If you're n not getting there, I 'll check it up completely and write it down accurate instead of trying to remember it (just a bit lazy, not wanting to get out of my chair )
[snapback]117675[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well... this was me....