5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E61 Touring Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/)
-   -   Manual sun blinds (BMW accessory) (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/manual-sun-blinds-bmw-accessory-49747/)

smarty156 01-22-2008 05:52 AM

I want to get some sort of sun protection on the rear side windows of my E61 Touring for when I have my little boy in the back on sunny days.
Thought about window tinting but noticed that in the UK BMW accessory catalogue they do manual sunblinds for the Touring for the side windows, rear sides and rear.
I went in to my local dealer and from what they can see on the computer it looks like little brackets are either stuck on or fixed somehow and then the blinds clipped to these. The blinds look like one piece made to measure fixed blinds but it's not exactly easy to tell.
Has anyone got these? If so, how do they attach and are they retractable?
Are they any good?
Thanks

Rudy 01-22-2008 06:51 AM

I have the factory shades on my E60 (not on an E61) but I don't know if the one's you're referring to are a "factory" part that installs the same way or some add-on style that won't look as finished.

If they are the factory type, they're great -- they work well and look good too!

dalp 01-22-2008 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='521239' date='Jan 22 2008, 03:51 PM
I have the factory shades on my E60 (not on an E61) but I don't know if the one's you're referring to are a "factory" part that installs the same way or some add-on style that won't look as finished.

If they are the factory type, they're great -- they work well and look good too!

Hi,

They are not retractable, they only have two little clips, they fit very well on the back door windows, on the ones on the side of the luggage compartment you don't need any clips, they just fit perfectly without any other clip and yhe one on the back window, it's fitted with two double sided tapes on a clip in the top and in the bottom the clips are attached to the rear wiper casing. If you see my gallery, you will see that the ones from the back seats are the ones that come from factory and they roll but I have bought by mistake the ones you need, they fit perfectly and they don't look bad at all, the other ones you can see on the pictures, tomorrow morning I will take some pictures of my car closer to the sun blinds and also from the ones of the back seats I have packed. I hope it will help you.

Best Rgds

adentonmiller 01-22-2008 02:38 PM

Doesn't help you much, but I have the factory fit ones on my current E60 and also ordered on my new E61....they are great - when we ordered the new car, the two options my wife insisted on carrying over from the old car spec were the blinds and heated seats.

i also have the powered rear blind on the E60 and although I don't use it all that much, it's a very useful thing if yu have kids (I have 3). there's no such option on the E61 although I suppose the different roofline might mean there's no need.

smarty156 01-24-2008 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by dalp' post='521318' date='Jan 22 2008, 06:53 PM
Hi,

They are not retractable, they only have two little clips, they fit very well on the back door windows, on the ones on the side of the luggage compartment you don't need any clips, they just fit perfectly without any other clip and yhe one on the back window, it's fitted with two double sided tapes on a clip in the top and in the bottom the clips are attached to the rear wiper casing. If you see my gallery, you will see that the ones from the back seats are the ones that come from factory and they roll but I have bought by mistake the ones you need, they fit perfectly and they don't look bad at all, the other ones you can see on the pictures, tomorrow morning I will take some pictures of my car closer to the sun blinds and also from the ones of the back seats I have packed. I hope it will help you.

Best Rgds

Thanks a lot. That's good to know.
I've had a look at the fitting instructions e-mailed to me by a BMW dealer and as you say they either clip on or stick on depending on which windows they're on. If they fit well I'll get them then. Didn't really want to permanently tint the windows or use the silly little stick on blinds that are way too small.
Regards
Martin

dalp 01-24-2008 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='522243' date='Jan 24 2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks a lot. That's good to know.
I've had a look at the fitting instructions e-mailed to me by a BMW dealer and as you say they either clip on or stick on depending on which windows they're on. If they fit well I'll get them then. Didn't really want to permanently tint the windows or use the silly little stick on blinds that are way too small.
Regards
Martin

Always available to help! Sorry but I didn't send the pictures because my pc is giving me errors when I try to connect anything to the usb connector, tomorrow I will try to fix it and send the pictures!

Rgds
Daniel

Tommi 01-24-2008 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='521216' date='Jan 22 2008, 04:52 PM
I want to get some sort of sun protection on the rear side windows of my E61 Touring for when I have my little boy in the back on sunny days.
Thought about window tinting but noticed that in the UK BMW accessory catalogue they do manual sunblinds for the Touring for the side windows, rear sides and rear.
I went in to my local dealer and from what they can see on the computer it looks like little brackets are either stuck on or fixed somehow and then the blinds clipped to these. The blinds look like one piece made to measure fixed blinds but it's not exactly easy to tell.
Has anyone got these? If so, how do they attach and are they retractable?
Are they any good?
Thanks

Hi smarty,
I got those manual sun blinds in my two week old. I actually have bmw's indivual tinted windows also, which together with blinds makes windows so dark you cant really see inside :cool: . I got the blinds from my dealer for free (I guess the worth is app. 100eur?) for same purpose as you need them. So far I havent got real sun experince with them but they seem to work well. They fit very nice, are exact window shape and are quite "invisible". I haven try to de-attach them yet, as I havent got any time to get know of my car either - yet. If you look carefully you will see the small brackets but they really arent annoying. I think its worth of the money - go for it :thumbsup: .

gene1 01-24-2008 04:13 PM

New Guy here (sort of)
Im expecting my 535xiT in 5 to 7 weeks.
I did have a 525iT 1 car ago and had the sun shade option. That was the first thing I got this time around. Its really great for the kids and really useful.
I got the tints as well ... hopefully they'll fall asleep the minute the engine starts. If that doesn't work I'm installing one of those hamster cage water botles filled with Children's Tylanol.

dalp 01-25-2008 05:48 AM

12 Attachment(s)
Hello, as promised, here are the pictures from the sun blinds:

Rgds

Daniel

smarty156 01-28-2008 04:01 AM

Thanks everyone. I've ordered them.
The side door ones came in at the weekend and I've fitted them (only used the front and rear clip on holders and not the upper stick on one as I wasn't too keen on sticking things to the door frame). They look really good, fit well (even without the stick on clips) andare much, much better than those suction cup ones that stick to the window and only cover about half of it!

Cheers!