E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

M5 Steering wheel to E61 535d

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 04:42 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d E61 2005 no dpf/egr 455bhp 650ftlb
Default M5 Steering wheel to E61 535d

Hi all and a congratulations on such a fab web site & forum.

I have a 2005, 535d E61 auto M sport. Car is doing great since I've owned it over the last 12 months.

Many changes, DPF removal, EGR removal, Inlet butterfly blanked off, K&N filter, Magnaflow SS exhaust, showing 455BHP & 650ft lb torque.

Now my question. Ive just bought on ebay a M5 flappy paddle steering wheel without airbag. Im confident my old airbag will fit. But how do I get the flappy paddles to operate the sports gear box.

Being a M-sport I have manual selection form the gear lever, but this means removing a hand off the steering wheel, a real pain if I'm shaving/texting, facebooking at the same time lol. Has anyone done this before. I wont be fitting it my local BMW garage in Ireland is but they admit they've no idea how to do it,
Old 04-05-2014, 11:36 PM
Members

My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by celtic-craig
Hi all and a congratulations on such a fab web site & forum.

I have a 2005, 535d E61 auto M sport. Car is doing great since I've owned it over the last 12 months.

Many changes, DPF removal, EGR removal, Inlet butterfly blanked off, K&N filter, Magnaflow SS exhaust, showing 455BHP & 650ft lb torque.
Wow, that is something, are you sure about those numbers?

Now my question. Ive just bought on ebay a M5 flappy paddle steering wheel without airbag. Im confident my old airbag will fit. But how do I get the flappy paddles to operate the sports gear box.

Being a M-sport I have manual selection form the gear lever, but this means removing a hand off the steering wheel, a real pain if I'm shaving/texting, facebooking at the same time lol. Has anyone done this before. I wont be fitting it my local BMW garage in Ireland is but they admit they've no idea how to do it,
The airbag will fit, but judging by the year of the car, you may have to by new slip ring I have 05 as well and needed to buy one and it was about £100 if remember correctly (I did ages ago)

Than after that is it basically only cables from the steering wheel console (bottom if the slip ring) to the gears indicator.

It is basically just switches, press it and the gear changes no rocket science.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:49 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by madein
Wow, that is something, are you sure about those numbers?

The airbag will fit, but judging by the year of the car, you may have to by new slip ring I have 05 as well and needed to buy one and it was about £100 if remember correctly (I did ages ago)

Than after that is it basically only cables from the steering wheel console (bottom if the slip ring) to the gears indicator.

It is basically just switches, press it and the gear changes no rocket science.
I thought those numbers seemed pretty fantastic too! Dyno sheet or it didn;t happen!

For the steering wheel, you need to re-wire the paddles as the M5 had different wiring then the normal sport paddles. If you read up on the SAT mod, people have re-wired the M5 wheel to fit.

Good luck!
Old 04-06-2014, 12:57 PM
New Members

Hi all. thanks for that info will pass on to the guys at bmw, yes figures are real, done on a dyno rolling road. I first bought a tunit box which boosts on the fuel pump pressure. was only 299bhp with that. and 285bhp without. so we removed the tunit box, took out the dpf and egr , plus blanked off the valve that are prone to dropping screws in the cylinders. that lot alone gave me 310bhp with nothing else fitted., next K&N filter and 3" straight through magnaflow stainless steel exhaust from flex pipe onwards (leaving empty dpf box there) showed 455 bhp at the flywheel. Ive seen 188mph on the satnav on the autobahn but it wreaked the front wheel liners which started to come apart at that speed and touch the tyres.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:58 PM
New Members

sorry need to add the 455bhp was after a full re-map from joe power in dublin.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:09 PM
New Members

also i seem to recall ages ago looking on you tube about the sport button mode? as ill have a spare button on the wheel (M), how do you do this and what does it attchieve?
when i move gear selector in to manual it just says S(gear) on dash. I have a F10 520d sports auto which has a full sport mode with better throttle responce and i think it speeds up the steering. will the same result be gained on a e61?
Old 04-07-2014, 08:12 AM
Members

My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19

Originally Posted by 2008Msport
For the steering wheel, you need to re-wire the paddles as the M5 had different wiring then the normal sport paddles. If you read up on the SAT mod, people have re-wired the M5 wheel to fit.

Good luck!
Not sure if there is LCI differences as it is ages ago, when I did mine.
My car is pre LCI and I'm not sure if I bought LCI or pre LCI steering wheel or if they are same.

The only wiring was from back of the new slip ring to the gear indicators if you are refering to this as rewiring.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:22 AM
Members

also i seem to recall ages ago looking on you tube about the sport button mode? as ill have a spare button on the wheel (M), how do you do this and what does it attchieve?
when i move gear selector in to manual it just says S(gear) on dash. I have a F10 520d sports auto which has a full sport mode with better throttle responce and i think it speeds up the steering. will the same result be gained on a e61?
I don't think so you can use this, but if you find how, let us now.

The sport button works only in normal driving mode, not in gear selector in S as far as I can remember.

There is also depending on what type of the steering you have - I got AFS and there is no input from Sport button.

Have a look here:

HTML Code:
https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/way-e60-meant-127596/