M5 Front End Swap Completed - 5Series.net - Forums

E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:48 PM   #1
New Members

Default M5 Front End Swap Completed

My baby is nearly complete. We're now working on the VROOOOM factor.

If anyone is in the market for a complete M-Sport front end, see the posting here:

https://5series.net/forums/private-m...-white-145472/
Attached Thumbnails
M5 Front End Swap Completed-m5-front-end-swap-done.jpg  
E61FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:13 AM   #2
New Members

Nice. What strut brace is that and did you notice any difference? Looking at it I wonder whether there would be any gain based on the existing bracing and proximity to the firewall structure.
Mrmandmman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #3
New Members

Looking damn fine! What was your method of attack? Acquire the metal (and plastic front bumper) body pieces, mount, paint front-end? Or did you have them rack painted and then mount? Did the hood get a respray? I'm currently trying to plan this out for myself. Thanks!

Also--what's your current wheel setup? Looks nicely filled out.

Last edited by sterile stork; 01-06-2017 at 12:13 PM.
sterile stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:49 PM   #4
New Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmandmman View Post
What strut brace is that and did you notice any difference?
Ultra Racing.

I don't know how much of a factor the upper brace contributes, since I added both the upper and lower braces at the same time that I installed KW V3s.

With the whole system and the KWs, the front is laterally and torsionally quite rigid. Good feel. The car stays planted and holds. I am still dialing-in the ride I want, related to rebound dampening, but the lateral adhesion far exceeds stock.

With the 255/40ZR19s I have up front, it sticks better than my competition package F10 M5, but the steering feel is nowhere near as nice as the M5. Some of the M5's limits are due to the undersized oem front tire size (265/35ZR20) for the pig that it is.

Buuuuut it's a FUN pig!
Old 01-06-2017, 09:43 PM   #5
New Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
Looking damn fine! What was your method of attack? Acquire the metal (and plastic front bumper) body pieces, mount, paint front-end? Or did you have them rack painted and then mount? Did the hood get a respray? I'm currently trying to plan this out for myself. Thanks!

Also--what's your current wheel setup? Looks nicely filled out.
Thanks!

This car was originally custom-ordered and delivered to Oxnard, CA and registered in a "corporate fleet", which I suspect was actually BMWUSA, LLC, given all the options that the car had. BMW is based there and I see them driving upcoming models around in camouflage all the time. After only six months, the wagon was re-sold to a VP at Xerox back in PA (who left all of her driving destinations on the nav, LoL).

So the front end had plenty of rock chips. Nevermind "sanding" the roads in winter... seems like they used aggregate pebbles! A complete repaint of the hood had to happen, which it did. I also replaced the windshield and sanded/polished the headlights (which came out great, especially after applying a clear bra film).

I trolled eBay for months looking for a decent used M5 front end, regardless of color. I just wasn't seeing anything worthwhile... they would all require quite a bit of plastic work. Plus their cost and the cost of shipping was prohibitive for the end value.

Then I stumbled upon ECS's listing for a brand new oem E60 M5 front end, primed and ready to go, which thankfully deletes the front side reflectors for some reason.

Given that I had to ship the oem M5 front bumper out west, I used the opportunity to order the new larger oem parts I needed to complete the install, such as the M5 carrier, styrofoam, and wheel well liners, which were all added to the front end box. This really saved on shipping.

Grill, ducts, fasteners and some other bits came from minibmwpartsstore.

This all wasn't cheap, mind you, but it was the right way to go for me, to guarantee good results once done.

I acquired original M5 front fenders in two batches on eBay. Actually one pair and then a single, as I knew that one of the fenders in the pair wouldn't pass muster.

I bought new side vents and covered the "M5" logo with black tape for now. I intend to clean-up and customize the side vents that came with the fenders to see if I like the look.

The front end and fenders were painted off the car while the hood was getting prepped and painted, all by a local outfit that does insurance work for bmw and mb. There are better painters out there, yet at much higher prices. Since the car is white and a driver, I had a budget. I am happy with how it came out, even with some imperfections. Good warranty, which I have already called them on for one little flaw (just had to wet sand a lump of clear and re-buff).

The entire front end was installed by a european auto repair friend, at his clean shop, on a lift (my shop is clogged with dirty tractors and industrial gear). Fit is pretty good. Given that this car has the Xdrive subframe, the entire M5 bottom plastic assembly either has to be adapted, or you have to merge parts from the M-Sport. We had to be a little creative with mounting, but it turned out well.

I employed the lower black spoiler as more of a guard, to keep me from ramming curbs and stuff. It drags and scrapes here and there, which is fine. It is meant to sacrifice and wear. I now run a front camera from BimmerTech, so the front spoiler might come off, once I zero-in on ride height.

Wheels are VMR V710FF
Front: 19x9.5 ET:33
Rear: 19x10 ET:25

Tires are Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Front: 255/40ZR19 (100Y) XL
Rear: 285/35ZR19 (103Y) XL

Has anyone out there experimented with adjustable air bags over KW struts and dampeners?

Last edited by E61FUN; 01-20-2017 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #6
New Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by E61FUN View Post
Thanks!
Question about the sensors. Did they fit right into PDC holes just fine or did you have to make some adjustments for things to work? I have already retrofitted a M5 bumper to 535xi but now with an Msport bumper and wondering if the PDC holes are the same size.
Island Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #7
New Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Road View Post
Question about the sensors. Did they fit right into PDC holes just fine or did you have to make some adjustments for things to work? I have already retrofitted a M5 bumper to 535xi but now with an Msport bumper and wondering if the PDC holes are the same size.
The PDC sensors on std E60, M-Sport, and M5 are all the same, and the holes on the bumpers are all the same.

What is different are the wiring looms. The M5 and M-Sport share the same loom (same part number).

I did not have to change the PDC sensors or the loom on my factory M-Sport car when I installed the M5 front end.

Last edited by E61FUN; 04-19-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:06 PM   #8
New Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by E61FUN View Post
Wheels are VMR V710FF
Front: 19x9.5 ET:33
Rear: 19x10 ET:25

Tires are Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Front: 255/40ZR19 (100Y) XL
Rear: 285/35ZR19 (103Y) XL
Wheels are now genuine BMW Style 601 in a "square" setup.

Wheels: 9JX20 ET:32
Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 255/35ZR20

Experimented with 10,5JX20 ET:19 601s on the rear, with 265/35ZR20 tires, but that did not play nice with the Xdrive system. Maybe a RWD conversion is in my near future.

Finally have a proper pair of M5 mirrors on the way too. I wanted to try wide-angle mirror glass on the std E60 mirrors. Hated them. So now I am on to M5 mirrors with heated/dipping (electrochromic) glass.

All I need to complete the clone job is an E61 M5 rear bumper cover and related parts. If anybody has a line on an oem E61 rear bumper and related parts, please contact me.

Specifically, I am looking for:

Bumper trim panel, primed, rear, M (PDC), P/N 51128042065
Reinforcement, lower center, M, P/N 51127896846

Attached Thumbnails
M5 Front End Swap Completed-e61-fun-601-low-front-corner-view.jpg   M5 Front End Swap Completed-e61-fun-601-side-view.jpg  

Last edited by E61FUN; 04-19-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:19 PM   #9
New Members

A little late night wrenching to install a pair of M5 sideview mirrors just back from the paint shop.

I considered painting just the base or even the entire mirror assembly in shadowline black since the triangular mounting flange on the M5 mirror stands out quite a bit more when painted in matching body color as it is normally painted, compared to the standard E60 side mirror, which normally has a black bezel and black triangular base. Given that the car is Alpine white I was concerned that the triangular bases painted in body color would really stand out and bug me.

There are a number of examples on the net of approaches to painting parts of the M5 mirror, which led me to decided that because the pivot point is in a different location on the M5 versus the standard side mirrors, either all body color or all black was the way for me. So I had them entirely painted and will eventually hit them with some black spray dip to compare the look.

So far, I like them all white better than I thought that I would. Glad to be rid of the euro wide-angle glass that I had fit in the standard mirrors ("Objects are closer than they appear," would be a total understatement! Let's just say that what I thought might be an aid to high-speed highway merging was NOT. I sure didn't install that type of glass to cut off all the cars that I eventually did... sheesh.).

The mirror area on the M5 sideview mirror is functionally better too... I was a little surprised by that. Taller turns out to be better than wider. Also glad that there is no wind whistle, as some have reported in various M5 forums with factory M5 side mirrors.

Attached Thumbnails
M5 Front End Swap Completed-m5-mirror-1.jpg   M5 Front End Swap Completed-m5-mirror-2.jpg  

Last edited by E61FUN; 05-29-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:18 PM   #10
New Members

A better shot of the mirrors. Also changed out the rear wheels/tires from 9 inch wide running 255/35ZR-20s to a pair of 275/30ZR-20s on 10 inch wide 601s.

Attached Thumbnails
M5 Front End Swap Completed-e61fun-mirrors-done-275s-back.jpg  

Last edited by E61FUN; 06-04-2017 at 10:51 AM.