E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Luggage covers lifts hen trunk opens

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY 2004 545i Touring, High Executive Line, Comfort Line II, Vision Line II (Dutch specced Packages), Color: Oxford Green. Interior: Black/Black leather. Trim: Dark Popular wood. Gear: Steptronic 6-speed Other options not incuded in above packages: M-Sport aero kit, sports suspension, heated steering wheel, rear side-airbags, front screen with green upper part, panorama roof, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels with Dunlop RFT's, HiFi Pro/LOGIC7, alarm class 3, heated seats rear and voice recognition. Waiting for february delivery of 325i Touring and 130i

When I got my Touring delivered last June I noticed that the luggage cover wasn't lifted allways (allong the siderails for about 35 cm) when the trunk was opened.

After some searching I found the problem which was caused by two plastic rollers (about 7 mm diameter) which were not completely round; they should function as parts which release the shifter in the side rails.

The malfunctioning rollers are located at the left/right innerside of the luggagecover part which you insert in the rails. The bigger left/right ouiter side rollers just roll trough the rails.

When I got a new luggage cover the problem was solved; but of course these rollers should have been made from steel and not plastic.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:24 PM
Contributors

Good info mhoutman.

I have the same problem now, although it worked fine for the first 3 months.

Cheers.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY 2004 545i Touring, High Executive Line, Comfort Line II, Vision Line II (Dutch specced Packages), Color: Oxford Green. Interior: Black/Black leather. Trim: Dark Popular wood. Gear: Steptronic 6-speed Other options not incuded in above packages: M-Sport aero kit, sports suspension, heated steering wheel, rear side-airbags, front screen with green upper part, panorama roof, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels with Dunlop RFT's, HiFi Pro/LOGIC7, alarm class 3, heated seats rear and voice recognition. Waiting for february delivery of 325i Touring and 130i

@ seacat,

The problem really lies with the compound of the inner rollers. Due to their softer compound the rollers tend to get square and get deformated.

It is my believe that all luggage covers will get this problem as long as these "soft" rollers are used.

In fact unbelievable that we have to discover that
Old 12-13-2004, 08:46 AM
Contributors

I'm having the same problem once out of four times I open the trunk.
The roller is not moving up at all....really disappointing!
Do you think it might be an issue for the warranty and have it replaced with a new one?
skorpyo25
Old 12-13-2004, 01:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skorpyo25' date='Dec 13 2004, 05:46 PM
I'm having the same problem once out of four times I open the trunk.
The roller is not moving up at all....really disappointing!
Do you think it might be an issue for the warranty and have it replaced with a new one?
skorpyo25
[snapback]68631[/snapback]
Thats my plan, report it at the next oil change to see what the dealer has to say (not much I'm affraid...)

Cheers.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

Mine worked fine for a few weeks. Now the same old problem you have.
Is my car already ageing?
Sometime it will be fixed.....i hope.
But if this is the only problem, i can live with it.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:42 AM
Contributors

This part is is really ready for an modification i.e. change compound of plastic roller or use a metal one.

Changing all luggage covers will be an expensive way foBMW, but if th eproblesm occurs you should immediately request a new one.

I think we just have to tell BMW or Butz Germany as possible manufacterer of this luggage cover
Old 12-20-2004, 09:00 AM
Members

Same problem, and it's been there from the beginning.

Clearly a warranty issue, AFAIK.

Kari
Old 06-03-2005, 01:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mhoutman' date='Dec 6 2004, 10:40 PM
When I got my Touring delivered last June I noticed that the luggage cover wasn't lifted allways (allong the siderails for about 35 cm) when the trunk was opened.

After some searching I found the problem which was caused by two plastic rollers (about 7 mm diameter) which were not completely round; they should function as parts which release the shifter in the side rails.

The malfunctioning rollers are located at the left/right innerside of the luggagecover part which you insert in the rails. The bigger left/right ouiter side rollers just roll trough the rails.

When I got a new luggage cover the problem was solved; but of course these rollers should have been made from steel and not plastic.
[snapback]65615[/snapback]

touring owners: remember my posting of last year december. guess what, as also my second luggage cover still gave "lifting" problems, my dealer ordered a new one and see that even BMW are viewing this Forum

The cover was partially re-designed: Except for some other styles plastic parts, the small roller (see picture downside right) - which caused all problems - is now in metal. (this luggage cover has build date 04-04-2005). The 2 hooks (see picture left upper.middle) are now in chrome metal (initially in black metal)

Luggage covers lifts hen trunk opens-luggage_cover.jpg
Old 06-03-2005, 04:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Nice!!!

Quick Reply: Luggage covers lifts hen trunk opens