E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Lowering 530xiT - new springs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 11:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

Originally Posted by blingo' post='290567' date='Jun 1 2006, 12:22 AM
Let's not start this rubbish again. The E61 suspension does NOT take the space, the different wheels are only because of tyre load ratings.

True that the load index is one issue, but the space is also an issue. I have 275/35-18 on 124 wheels in the rear of my E61 so I know that they can be fitted, but you can fit even wider combos on a e60.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:47 PM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

Originally Posted by HUK' post='290492' date='May 31 2006, 09:34 PM
I ordered the Eibach springs and then after I got the reply from the Swede with the 535d I called Tirerack and asked about the fact that the car doesn't have springs in the rear. They confirmed they had made a mistake. They called me back the next day and said they had talked to Eibach and theat they would supply Tirerack with a 2-spring set for the xiT, and in turn replace my order. So apparently they figured this out and have the right parts for it. I should have the new springs by next week.
Fun to hear!! I will be very interesting to see how it works out.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Originally Posted by Robert J' post='290766' date='Jun 1 2006, 08:47 AM
...but you can fit even wider combos on a e60.
That wasn't the point made. He said it was why the e61 had different wheels.
Every BMW/ACS/Alpina wheel that fits the 60 also fits the 61.
19" x 9.5" rears are now quite a common mod on the e61, just look at the various threads here.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silver530sportwagon' post='290601' date='Jun 1 2006, 02:33 AM
I am very interested to see how the eibachs work out. I have been thinking about ordering them from tirerack as well.
It is my understanding from a bmw tech that the self leveling system adjustments are based on the height of the front of the car. Meaning, if you lower the front of the car, the rear air bags will compensate automatically to be level with the front of the car. No computer update is needed. Good luck.
Hi,
this information is wrong !
For the rear air suspension there is a certain "zero point" programmed.
With much load in the trunk area, the air suspension is balancing the rear height to this "zero point".
There is no dependence to the front height.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Wow... talk 'bout old thread... I'm pretty sure a few months short of 3 yrs old thread a wrong info is acceptable...
Old 04-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='842195' date='Apr 9 2009, 02:41 PM
Wow... talk 'bout old thread... I'm pretty sure a few months short of 3 yrs old thread a wrong info is acceptable...

Old thread maybe, but I'd like to see pics and know if it worked because I have had zero success trying to find the appropriate front springs for my E61 08. PLEASE!!!
Old 04-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Seriously? Where are you located? For US spec xi wagon, right?

http://store.allsprings.com/shared/StoreFr...prings&All=

Don't have pic for the wagon but I've been using similar sedan spring for quite awhile and the front are identical.

Originally Posted by martinitime' post='842269' date='Apr 9 2009, 06:05 PM
Old thread maybe, but I'd like to see pics and know if it worked because I have had zero success trying to find the appropriate front springs for my E61 08. PLEASE!!!
Old 04-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Members

just spoke to H&R. Turns out the springs in the box I received were 1 part number off and for a Subaru! The part number stamped on the box was BMW They are going to send me the correct springs and a shipping label to ship back the other ones.

Hopefully things go smooth and I'll be able to post some pics soon.
Thanks for the help BlaSTiWi!
Old 04-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xiT M Sport

OK so I I've been hibernating but here is the real scoop on this. No speculation I've done it. Pic from late last summer attached.

I have a 2008 5635xiT Sport (Canadian issue).

I have run VB3's from Velocity Motoring in the 19 x 8.5 (ET40) front 19 x 9.5 (ET45) rear confighuration. There are no rubbing issues; Blingo is correct.

Much of the confusion somes from the fact that the NA cars are all wheel drive )as opposed to the rear drivers available elsewhere) ... this leads to the offset issues. So in Europe for example the E60 wheels ifr the E61, but not in NA (unless you want the moon-crawler effect - don't laugh I've seen a guy with 172s on a 535xi and they stick out way past the body of the vehilce).

Re lowering, I bought & installed lowering springs (from Hamann, though I understand that they are made by H&R) & had them in for a few months. I had them removed. I would strongly recommend to anyone considering doing this that they re-think it. The issue was that the ride was so jumpy (even after cutting down the bumpstops) that it was unbearable. Cornering sucked as well. It got worse when I put on my run flat winters, but with the 19" (non-run flats) it was bad enough.

Because you guys are so damn critical here's the back stopry. The install was done by the dealer (BJ in Vancouver BC) and yes, they lowered the rear of the car by moving the ride height sensors blah blah blah. Bottom line was that the shocks in the 535xi are simply not up to the task of correcting for the altered dynamics of the lowering springs (both in bounciness & hard impacts on the bump stops), and there are no other shocks (aftermarket or otherwise) available for the front suspension of an xi 5 series. Also, lowering the rear suspension by moving the ride height sensors also adversely effects the ride. All in all it cost me ~$2,500 to buy them, have them installed, and have them taken out. I went so far as to contact H&R they have no plans to make a proper kit for the 535xiT.

Funny thing is that I got the lowering springs for the asthetic - I didn't like the wheel gap- but when I mounted the 19"s the wider profile ate up so much of the gap that it stopped bothering me. Hope this puts the topic to rest.

ps I have a set of front lowering springs for a 535xiT for sale if anyone wants them. Cheap.
Attached Thumbnails Lowering 530xiT - new springs?-img_1575.jpg  
Old 04-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Members

So is this pic of your car (very nice btw) with or without the lowering springs? Looks like with because of the front and the back ride height.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Lowering 530xiT - new springs?