E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Lowering 530xiT - new springs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 09:33 PM
HUK
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [color=#FF0000]Current car: [/color] 2006 530xiT, Jet Black, Black int., Black liner, panoramic roof, premium/sports/cold wheater packages, park assist, Sirius, NAV, keyless. [color=#FF0000]Wheels: [/color] 19 x 8.5 ET 40, General Exclaim UHP 245/35-19

So, I finally found some springs that will fit my 2006 530xiT, which doesn't have sports suspension as an option in the US.

I like the look of the sedan with sports package - I don't want a lower/more aggressive look than that. (at least I need to see a picture of what it would look like) So which of the following sets should I use and do I also have to change the shocks? I'm pretty clueless about this so any advice is appreciated!

Eibach Pro-Kit Spring Set
Ride Height: Moderate Lowering
Note: Avg Low 1.2"F 1.2"R
Sport Susp. Lower .5"F .5"R

H&R Sport Spring Set
Ride Height: Moderate Lowering
Note: Avg low 1.4"F 1.3"R

H&R Race Spring Set
Ride Height: Extreme Lowering
Note: Avg low 2.0"F 2.0"R

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptab...ckage&brand=all
Old 05-28-2006, 06:02 PM
HUK
Members

My Ride: [color=#FF0000]Current car: [/color] 2006 530xiT, Jet Black, Black int., Black liner, panoramic roof, premium/sports/cold wheater packages, park assist, Sirius, NAV, keyless. [color=#FF0000]Wheels: [/color] 19 x 8.5 ET 40, General Exclaim UHP 245/35-19

OK, I DID SOME RESEARCH -- I'M GOING WITH THE EIBACH PRO SPRINGS, WICH WILL LOWER IT 1.2 INCHES AND BASICALLY MAKE IT LOOK LIKE THE SEDAN WITH OEM SPORTS PACKAGE. I WILL POST SOME BEFORE AND AFTER PIX ONCE IT'S DONE.

HUK
Old 05-28-2006, 10:26 PM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

I hope you are aware of the fact that your car don't have any springs in the rear. You have to adjust the ride height sensors and then will the suspension adjust it self.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:04 PM
HUK
Members

Tjena Robert - thanks for your reply. No, I didn't know that.. and the Eibach dealer didn't mention anything about it, which worries me despite the correct designation of the springs.
Ok, so let's assume these are replacement springs for the front wheels only and actually fit the car, are you saying all that needs to be done on the rear is to adjust the HEIGHT SENSORS? Is this pretty straight-forward for an authorized mechanic? Can you think of any reason why I should hesitate to make the modification?
Thanks again,
HUK
Old 05-29-2006, 03:01 AM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

Tjena sj?lv HUK!

the spring kit for a E61 shuld be only front springs. You have air-ride suspension in the rear that's also why you have different wheel sets for the E60-61 cause the shields for the air baloons take the space.

I have talked with my friend that are BMW mech and it shuld not be that big problems to adjust the settings for the ride height sensors in the rear. We did not go in to the thing in details, but I didn't any indications of a big or serious work. I don't know how advanced it is to do this so I can't tell if you local shop can do it or not, sorry...

Any reasons to not do this? Absolutley none at all!! You live in CA with no snow and quite OK road with concreate. It will look much better and most probably also get a little better handling in high speeds. Personally I don't understand why they make the x-models higher than the normal ones. Even it's 4wd and a little higher, it will not be a Hummer.

(Do you have any Swedish relations?)
Old 05-29-2006, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Robert J' post='289144' date='May 29 2006, 06:01 AM
Tjena sj?lv HUK!

the spring kit for a E61 shuld be only front springs. You have ari-ride suspension in the rear that's also why you have different wheel sets for the E60-61 cause the shields for the air baloons take the space.

I have talked with my friend that are BMW mech and it shuld not be that big problems to adjust the settings for the ride height sensors in the rear. We did not go in to the thing in details, but I didn't any indications of a big or serious work. I don't know how advanced it is to do this so I can't tell if you local shop can do it or not, sorry...

Any reasons to not do this? Absolutley none at all!! You live in CA with no snow and quite OK road with concreate. It will look much better and most probably also get a little better handling in high speeds. Personally I don't understand why they make the x-models higher than the normal ones. Even it's 4wd and a little higher, it will not be a Hummer.

(Do you have any Swedish relations?)

I think the 1.4 drop on H&R would look great but I hear that performance on the eibach is a little better. Better ride. Nevertheless i think it will look great dropped.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:34 AM
HUK
Members

Did you ever end up dropping your car? I called H&R and they said NOT to use the kit that TireRack has posted on their site. It's a mistake on their part. I followed up with TireRack and they confirmed that they have NEVER installed their kits on an E60 with the Xdrive system. I'm curious to know if you attempted it.
I ordered the Eibach springs and then after I got the reply from the Swede with the 535d I called Tirerack and asked about the fact that the car doesn't have springs in the rear. They confirmed they had made a mistake. They called me back the next day and said they had talked to Eibach and theat they would supply Tirerack with a 2-spring set for the xiT, and in turn replace my order. So apparently they figured this out and have the right parts for it. I should have the new springs by next week.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530i M-sports package, carbon black,Beige leather dakota, Steptronic, active steering, anti-theft alarm, sunblinds for rear window and back seat window, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, poplar brown dark, comfort seats, PDC, extended lights package, Hi-Fi loudspeakers, Innovation Package (contains Xenon, Headlight washers, adaptive headlights, Comfort access), automatic air-conditioning, professional radio, individual high gloss satine chrome,Sunroof

you have to post some pics when its done
Many people would like to see a lowered x drive e60 including me
Old 05-31-2006, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Originally Posted by Robert J' post='289144' date='May 29 2006, 12:01 PM
Tjena sj?lv HUK!

... that's also why you have different wheel sets for the E60-61 cause the shields for the air baloons take the space.
Let's not start this rubbish again. The E61 suspension does NOT take the space, the different wheels are only because of tyre load ratings.

I would be interested to hear how you get on with the drop, I have been lead to believe that it couldn't be done (mine is a sport). On past form, I won't be surprised if you prove this to be wrong.

How do Eibach change the rate of the air springs to match their new fronts?
Old 05-31-2006, 04:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT Titanium Silver, 6-speed Manual, new style Start/Stop ignition, Black Dakota Leather, anthracite maple wood trim, heated seats front and rear, heated steering wheel, headlight washers, automatic tailgate, auto dimming mirrors, Logic 7, 6-disc changer, sport seats, shadow line trim, rear sun blinds, PDC, adaptive xenons, 18" style 123 wheels, , navigation, voice control, bluetooth, BMW roof rack + bike attachments,

I am very interested to see how the eibachs work out. I have been thinking about ordering them from tirerack as well.
It is my understanding from a bmw tech that the self leveling system adjustments are based on the height of the front of the car. Meaning, if you lower the front of the car, the rear air bags will compensate automatically to be level with the front of the car. No computer update is needed. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Lowering 530xiT - new springs?