E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Logic7 Sound in E61

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 08:01 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

Unfortunately, I am in the market for a new E61 after the demise of my 2006 530xiT December 31 last year. (See: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=68101 )

My old car had the regular US 10 speaker sound system, which seemed fine, but as I'm looking to order a new car, why not go all the way and order the Logic7 system.

However, my salesman says that the Logic7 is not that much of an improvement in a wagon/touring. In effect he said its not worth the price. Now a salesman turning down a high priced option ? that is something!

But before I go along with his suggestion, I thought it wise to poll other E61 owners about the option? (BTW I generally listen to classical music with an emphasis on opera.)

Questions:

1. Would you buy the Logic7 system again?

2. What are the benefits?

3. Does one hear the difference?

Many thanks!
Old 01-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Hopco' post='775455' date='Jan 23 2009, 06:01 PM
Questions:

1. I'd probably go with the Individual sound system if that was available. Otherwise I'd choose Logic7 again.
2. For me it's better sound clarity.
3. I think I've heard the difference when I was testing the sound systems. Cars stationary, engine off, windows up, CD that I know very well, all options the same except Logic7 vs normal sound. Now with the engine on (especially diesel), road noise, radio or AUX IN I'm not so sure that it would be too easy to hear the difference right away.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

1. I had it in my 330i e90 and I miss it (got the Eu Hifi option right now)

2. Much better clarity. Every speaker is amplified. With the standard system, only the subs are amplified

3. Definetely!
Old 01-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Members

I have the logic 7 in my touring.

I would buy the logic 7 again if I had too....13 speakers, 2 subwoofers and multiple settings so you can customize it towards your music

Benefits are - 3 different sound settings which sound great with old school jazz that I listen too

You can hear a huge difference between L7 and a regular system

Looked at your link...the car did it's job

I would also highly recommend the comfort seats and if you can, do a Priority One build and get the cooling seats.

Good luck in your search
Old 01-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18

Thanks for your comments richietherocket.

My wish list, not including your excellent idea of ventilated seats - as NADA does not show Priority One options, is shown below. My color choice is Monaco Blue over Light Beige (I like light interiors and the light beige is a lighter shade than the gray in my old car.)

Logic7 Sound in E61-nada_bmw_537xit_logic7.jpg

Comments would be appreciated
Old 01-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi Touring 2009 328i Touring

I don't have Logic7 in my E61, but it would be nice to have full control with an EQ. I would like a little more control. I don't know if the EQ alone would be worth the price diff though...
Old 01-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Hopco' post='775829' date='Jan 23 2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks for your comments richietherocket.

My wish list, not including your excellent idea of ventilated seats - as NADA does not show Priority One options, is shown below. My color choice is Monaco Blue over Light Beige (I like light interiors and the light beige is a lighter shade than the gray in my old car.)

Attachment 70254

Comments would be appreciated
I am going to order a very similar car - you asked for comments, and mine are:

1) you really should get the head up display. I have it in my M5 and would not want to be without it.

2) I know you want a light interior, but if you get beige you are going to get beige console, beige carpets etc. Not in line with the MSport pack IMHO. Have you considered the natural brown? You will get the light(er) leather seats etc, but still get black carpets, dash...

JD
Old 01-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Members

My Ride: - - - - - - Blue 525d Executive, BT, Logic7, 18inch 124's, sunroof, sport seats

I once (long time ago) bought a 3-series without an extra sound package, I since then always do, in specific Logic7 for the 5. I had a standard 5 as a loaner with the normal stereo system some time ago and that was really nothing compared to Logic7.

I don't know if my experience is comparable, because here we have standard stereo, hifi-stereo, logic7 and individual. I think you're talking about the hifi-option (10 speakers) and those might already be better than the standard. The logic7 sounds very different in an E61 then an E60 (which I had before), I guess that's because of the lack of a good place to place the rear speakers, I think that's what the salesman is referring to.

I'm still impressed by the Bluetooth phone option, don't see it on your list, maybe it's a standard option in your territory.
I really love the sunroof......would not order an E61 without it.
I would always order Logic7, the sound systems fits to the car's quality. I think you'll regret not ordering it.

In the E60 board there are some discussions on the quality of the "old" Logic7 against the "newer" Logic7. Personally I think the system is great!

For your information, if you're gonna get the new iDrive with harddisk, there isn't the option of choosing Concert Hall etc. It's just on/off and you can personalize with the equalizer and treble/bass/fader.

/Eric
Old 01-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Hopco' post='775455' date='Jan 23 2009, 01:01 PM
Unfortunately, I am in the market for a new E61 after the demise of my 2006 530xiT December 31 last year. (See: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=68101 )

My old car had the regular US 10 speaker sound system, which seemed fine, but as I'm looking to order a new car, why not go all the way and order the Logic7 system.

However, my salesman says that the Logic7 is not that much of an improvement in a wagon/touring. In effect he said its not worth the price. Now a salesman turning down a high priced option ? that is something!

But before I go along with his suggestion, I thought it wise to poll other E61 owners about the option? (BTW I generally listen to classical music with an emphasis on opera.)

Questions:

Many thanks!

I have the Logic7 in my 750Li and I just got my '09 535xi wagon with it. Just in the few years difference of sound improvements, the system in the wagon sound much better than in the 750. I can't imagine it has anything to do with cabin size. The EQ is great. My only complaint is dialing it in for the driver (more sound from the rear, it seems to be heavy on the front speakers). If you fade too much towards the rear, the loss of power is noticeable. I'm a jazz listener and I really look for clarity and punch and right/left and front/back make all the difference. So...the latest version of Logic7 is pretty nice and yes I hear the difference from just a few years ago (as well as in my wife's 530i which doesn't have it).
Old 01-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Contributors

Thanks jjdnyc and EricO5d for your comments.

Here is the old USofA things are done differently ? but you knew that anyway

Many items that are options in the EU are either standard on our cars: hifi-stereo - 10 speaker radio, Bluetooth, sunroof etc.) or come in packages. However, we don't have access to some options: TV, Internet yada yada yada ? Thanks to our lawyers. Part of the reason for so many standard features is that most Americans expect to walk into a dealer an buy a car off the lot whilst as I understand it, Europeans tend to order a their cars.

I agree I would not do without the Bluetooth (standard) ? it makes using the cell-phone possible. The panoramic moonroof is also standard on our E61s. Although I don't open the roof often due to wind noise a speed ? I like to drive in a quiet space ? and doubt I would ever open it in summer (80-100 F ? 27-38 C), it is magnificent when we are out in the Colorado mountains.

I looked into the head-up display ? frankly I don't think it is worth $1,200 (MSRP). I let the stepmatic do the shifting (I would say that 95% of the time it does a better job than I did on my old M5 an it sure is nicer to have when in a jam of I-95). On my 2006 E61 my scan easily took in the navigation screen, speed, mirrors and road. However, I can see its use on an M5 ? either stick or SMG for picking shift points ? esp. if one goes to the track. If there was a head-up display of night vision or there was a reticule to use the 007 cannon to take out bad drivers (Mucho Grim) that would be another thing. Am I missing something?

Logic7:
I understand that the Logic7 digital front end lets one tailor the sound, however my salesman noted that the shape of the wagon/touring (E61) give it a less than optimal speaker configuration compared to the sedan (E60). EricO5d (and others) do you have any comments ? observations?

Also, EricO5d, you noted: "For your information, if you're gonna get the new iDrive with hard disk, there isn't the option of choosing Concert Hall etc. It's just on/off and you can personalize with the equalizer and treble/bass/fader." Do you mean that BMW in their wisdom removed all the preset reverb/equalizer from the system? If so, can one create and save several customized presets? We in North America will not get the E60/61s with the new iDrive with hard disk until after production starts in March. Can you detail the issues or is there an English language website I may go to. (I will also search the E60 site for comments.)

uspastime you may have put all the Logic7 discussion to rest ? just get it!

Many thanks to all for your comments.

Quick Reply: Logic7 Sound in E61