E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Locked out of my car

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 01:50 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HELP HELP !!! My alarm went off in the night. Went out the next morning and key fob would not unlock door. Tried 2nd key, still no joy. Then tried to manually unlock drivers door but will not unlock !!!! Still locked out of my car 3 days later. Have noticed that the red alarm light on the mirror is not flashing. ANY IDEAS PLEASE ( have read about the diversity attenna problem but cant get into the car to investigate it )
Old 10-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

dammm this sucks, seems like your battery is dead. Maybe cal AAA?
Old 10-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skibilly
HELP HELP !!! My alarm went off in the night. Went out the next morning and key fob would not unlock door. Tried 2nd key, still no joy. Then tried to manually unlock drivers door but will not unlock !!!! Still locked out of my car 3 days later. Have noticed that the red alarm light on the mirror is not flashing. ANY IDEAS PLEASE ( have read about the diversity attenna problem but cant get into the car to investigate it )
With a dead battery your fob won't work but the valet key should allow you to manually unlock the driver door. Then pop the hood and apply 12v to the power post to start your car .... so you can drive it to a BMW service center. If one isn't close by the only option is to flat bed it to a qualified mechanic.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

You should be able to use any of your keys to manually (i.e. put the key into the lock and turn) unlock the driver's door.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

i dont think there's AAA in the UK. Use the key itself to unlock it but seems like u tried it. Did you turn it the right way? If anything, try popping the trunk then hook up the battery to a battery tender or 12V jump starter and unlocking the car.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:35 PM
New Members

Thanks for the replies but have tried all the keys to manually unlock door but know joy. Have tried lifting handle while turning key but apparently that only works on the E39. Dont have a trunk to pop as a tourer and dont know how to pop the hood without being inside the car. Car is stuck on my driveway in Park and hand brake on dont know how i would even get it onto a flat bed !! Please keep your ideas coming !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2010, 04:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

What happens when you insert the key and turn it 90 degrees left or right? The driver's door should unlock. Some effort will be required.

Quoted from the owner's manual "In the event of an electrical fault you can lock and unlock the driver's door by turning the key to the limit positions in the door lock."
Old 10-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Black E61 530Xd - M-sport - Comfort - Advantage

Since you have tried everything else, here`s what I would do (and also what I did):

You should contact the dealer, because they will void your warranty if they are not notified about this. If the doors are not opening manually with the key I think there´s nothing more to do.

2009 winter my car engine was warming up at my home yard (with a full tank) and all of my doors locked and I didn´t have the spare key. It was saturday night so no help available

There was absolutely nothing else to do than use this on a small side window...at that time my car was 7months old so you can imagine the feeling The window repair cost just under 300?
Locked out of my car-makga5030_2.jpg
Old 10-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by Seipäänreikä
Since you have tried everything else, here`s what I would do (and also what I did):

You should contact the dealer, because they will void your warranty if they are not notified about this. If the doors are not opening manually with the key I think there´s nothing more to do.

2009 winter my car engine was warming up at my home yard (with a full tank) and all of my doors locked and I didn´t have the spare key. It was saturday night so no help available

There was absolutely nothing else to do than use this on a small side window...at that time my car was 7months old so you can imagine the feeling The window repair cost just under 300?
Attachment 113278
Hahaha! I remember this very well Mika!
Sorry, couldn't help laughing...

- Antti -
Old 10-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Black E61 530Xd - M-sport - Comfort - Advantage

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Hahaha! I remember this very well Mika!
Sorry, couldn't help laughing...

- Antti -
With those huge crocodile tears in my eyes when breaking into my new car, I remind you Antti, that I know where you´re living at...

Quick Reply: Locked out of my car