E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Loadspace protector

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 04:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you still get into the under floor storage and side storage areas without removing it completely?
Old 03-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='542837' date='Mar 11 2008, 12:15 PM
Can you still get into the under floor storage and side storage areas without removing it completely?
Yes, you can. It's fully flexible and just moves out of the way.

Personally, I hate the side storage areas - they look a but unfinished to me. I do like - and use - the underfloor though (both levels).
Old 03-13-2008, 02:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by adentonmiller' post='543184' date='Mar 11 2008, 10:56 PM
Yes, you can. It's fully flexible and just moves out of the way.

Personally, I hate the side storage areas - they look a but unfinished to me. I do like - and use - the underfloor though (both levels).
Just one more question - how is it fixed in place?
Old 03-13-2008, 04:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='544070' date='Mar 13 2008, 10:06 AM
Just one more question - how is it fixed in place?
Elastic straps around the rear seat headrests (that you can't see once they are in place), a pair of suction cups that attach to the trunk windows and a tab that slips under the floor compartment lid. the shape of the thing pretty much keeps it in place anyway.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by adentonmiller' post='544098' date='Mar 13 2008, 12:44 PM
Elastic straps around the rear seat headrests (that you can't see once they are in place), a pair of suction cups that attach to the trunk windows and a tab that slips under the floor compartment lid. the shape of the thing pretty much keeps it in place anyway.
Thanks. That could be a problem then as I have the sun blinds in the rear side windows.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:28 AM
Members

Alasdair - would you be able to do me a favour?
Can you detach the suckers from the side windows and drive around a bit like that to see if it still stays in place alright? I really can't find anything else that looks as good.
What colour is it by the way as my carpet is black? Is there a choice of colours?

Thanks very much.

Martin
Old 03-17-2008, 03:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='544701' date='Mar 14 2008, 12:28 PM
Alasdair - would you be able to do me a favour?
Can you detach the suckers from the side windows and drive around a bit like that to see if it still stays in place alright? I really can't find anything else that looks as good.
What colour is it by the way as my carpet is black? Is there a choice of colours?

Thanks very much.

Martin
Hi Martin,

OK - I detached the window suckers and drove around for a while and it all stayed in place fine. However - it got me to thinking that a simple modification would probably work well......If you were to sew/glue some velcro hook to the back of the thing in a couple of locations, it would work great with no need for window suckers.

Colour is black....I don't think there are any options.

Cheers,

Alasdair
Old 03-17-2008, 04:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by adentonmiller' post='546185' date='Mar 17 2008, 11:49 AM
Hi Martin,

OK - I detached the window suckers and drove around for a while and it all stayed in place fine. However - it got me to thinking that a simple modification would probably work well......If you were to sew/glue some velcro hook to the back of the thing in a couple of locations, it would work great with no need for window suckers.

Colour is black....I don't think there are any options.

Cheers,

Alasdair
Brilliant - thanks Alasdair.
I'm reluctant to use velcro as it won't always be in the boot I don't think. Just if we go out and we're likely to get muddy/wet. I don't have a dog, just a 2 1/2 year old little boy who loves muddy puddles! I'd be concerned attaching and detaching the velcro would cause the carpet threads to be pulled. If it works without attaching the suckers then that's fine for occasional use.

Thanks again - very helpful.

Martin
Old 03-17-2008, 04:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='546199' date='Mar 17 2008, 12:54 PM
Brilliant - thanks Alasdair.
I'm reluctant to use velcro as it won't always be in the boot I don't think. Just if we go out and we're likely to get muddy/wet. I don't have a dog, just a 2 1/2 year old little boy who loves muddy puddles! I'd be concerned attaching and detaching the velcro would cause the carpet threads to be pulled. If it works without attaching the suckers then that's fine for occasional use.

Thanks again - very helpful.

Martin
Actually, had a thought that you could probably attach a small strip of velcro on the plastic between the side rear windows and the parcel shelf, near where the suckers would go anyway. Is that what you meant? I think that would actually work quite well.
I'm going to order one.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Do you have any pictures of that in place - and also of the tray you mentioned?

I seem to remember seeing a tray in the accesories book, and want to get one to keep the carpet looking cool.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Loadspace protector