E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Light off in rear trunk/aft door

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 525D Touring (E61)

Hello all!

Small and irritating problem here...
Everytime I open the aft door to the trunk (or wathever it is called in english) the white light in the door itself comes on. Perfect since i often need light in winter dark Norway. BUT... as soon as the door-opener/door lock reurns to it's position (as I hear the sound of this returning) the light goes off... Same if the aft door is open, light is off as described and I open one of the rear doors (to the actual coupe) the light in the aft port comes on for about two seconds only.

What can I do about this??

All help and tips will be highly appreciated
Old 04-06-2009, 01:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jehovden' post='828526' date='Mar 27 2009, 05:40 PM
Hello all!

Small and irritating problem here...
Everytime I open the aft door to the trunk (or wathever it is called in english) the white light in the door itself comes on. Perfect since i often need light in winter dark Norway. BUT... as soon as the door-opener/door lock reurns to it's position (as I hear the sound of this returning) the light goes off... Same if the aft door is open, light is off as described and I open one of the rear doors (to the actual coupe) the light in the aft port comes on for about two seconds only.

What can I do about this??

All help and tips will be highly appreciated
Hi Jehovden,

I had the same problem - the lights in the back load area would come on for about a second and then go out when the boot/trunk/tailgate was opened. I also noticed that some of the internal lights in the main cabon were not working properly either - have you checked them?

I searched around the forums and some poeple had suggested that it was a software issue - but it turned out to be one of the interior lighting control modules that had failed - number of people have had the same problem.

I pointed this out to my dealer, as the car had just gone out of warranty - and they contacted BMW who paid a large proportion of the costs to supply and fit the new lighting module.

I am sure it would have been around ?500 if they had not discounted it. I presume this is because the realised it was a common problem - perhaps a design fault.

I know you probably didn't want to hear this - but thats how I got my sorted out.

b.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:33 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Maybe I have misunderstood the issue, but is the duration the light stays on not an iDrive setting?

If you go to the LIGHT menu in iDrive, it has various options, including how long the interior light should stay on for -- well I think it has
(Apologies if this is not correct!)
Old 04-06-2009, 05:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not on my i-drive!

b.