E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

lci vs pre lci

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 12:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everybody

I am wondering if you could help en lightning me on the differences form a pre lci to a lci

I am a bit "in love" i a 535d Touring from 12-2004 with almost every option that you could find at that time, but
i am wondering if it will be better and wait a little time and save a little more and buy a lci model.

I know that there is a visible differences in the tail light(the new ones look cool) and i do understand that there is also
differences in the new headlights(i cant see the differences, but know that there is something with follow me home)

But what else and would it bee worth waiting a ½-1 year for

Regards
MOBMATRIX
Old 12-19-2010, 07:40 AM
Senior Members

Welcome on the forums

It would be worth waiting for an LCI car not because of the minimal cosmetical changes, but because of the many mechanical improvements which can save you a lot of headache and may be a lot of money.

For example:
- suspension compressor
- swirl flaps
- panoramic roof leaks
- fuel economy is better
I'm sure others will chime in with further LCI technical improvements...

Also, generally the interior quality is better on LCI cars and I like the interior colours better.

BUT, that said, you will get a lot less options for your money on an LCI car, and with a bit of luck all of the above mentioned problems on a pre-LCI car might be solved by now by the previous owner (for example my pre-LCI car has all problems sorted), so the only issue you will have to deal with is a maybe 1 Liter higher fuel consumption in mixed driving.

Good luck
Old 12-19-2010, 08:35 AM
Members

Thanks for the welcome

Yes i dont know about the swirl flaps, but i will get a 2 years mechanical insuranse
The panorama roof is newly repaired by BMW.
Is the fuel in real life so much better, it does not seams like it when comparing
From www.spritmonitor.de
But i have seen a lot of post about bad build quality. Right now i am driving in a E39 530D from 12-2000 which i havent have many problems With.

Please post more

MOBMATRIX
Old 12-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Did they change the compressor or pipes for the self levelling suspension on the LCI? I've been thinking of having a look at mine but if they were changed I won't bother.

As for the OP I would get an LCI even if you have to wait and pay a little more.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Mobmatrix
Thanks for the welcome

Yes i dont know about the swirl flaps, but i will get a 2 years mechanical insuranse
The panorama roof is newly repaired by BMW.
Is the fuel in real life so much better, it does not seams like it when comparing
From www.spritmonitor.de
But i have seen a lot of post about bad build quality. Right now i am driving in a E39 530D from 12-2000 which i havent have many problems With.

Please post more

MOBMATRIX
- insurance is always good but the flaps can destroy your engine, so the damage can be much more than just financial (time, effort..) but no worries, they are fixable (preventatively) for about 150 EUR at any workshop, so not a major issue
- panorama roof repaired is good
- for fuel economy ask member "xBMWx", he has personal experience
- i dont think build quality is that different?? both models have issues, search for members "narvselius" and "ivano" and see what problems they had with brand new cars.

However: all of this is fixable with some knowledge and care, don't let these things spoil your experience. These are great cars that make you smile everytime you drive them. Just be careful not to get a complete lemon.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Dandle
Did they change the compressor or pipes for the self levelling suspension on the LCI? I've been thinking of having a look at mine but if they were changed I won't bother.

As for the OP I would get an LCI even if you have to wait and pay a little more.
What is OP ?

Regards

MOBMATRIX
Old 12-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Dandle

The hose is 100% changed with the braided type, so it won't fail (that easily). AFAIK the compressor is also improved, i.e. much more reliable. but the only preventative maintenance you can do is just to check the hose anyways, so in your case this is redundant.

I have the new compressor in my car. It is noisy, but so far it has not failed.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by Mobmatrix
What is OP ?

Regards

MOBMATRIX
Opening Post.

Good to know about the hose and compressor change.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Members

Ahh

Thanks Dandle, i did not have any clue on that
Old 12-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Senior Members

i thought OP = Original Poster

Quick Reply: lci vs pre lci