E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

LCI Cars and Run Flat Tyres

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d F10, Sport Auto, Black, sun protection, Oyster/Black with Anthracite, Ambient lighting.

Has anyone changed the original Run Flat Tyres for conventional tyres on an LCI E61 and if so what tyre pressure are you using?

I have changed my Goodyear NCT5 Run Flats for Pirelli P Zero Rosso conventional tyres and am not sure what pressures to use, am running normal pressures at the moment and the car seems to wander a bit!
Old 08-14-2009, 03:56 AM
Contributors

I usually use around 32-35
Old 08-14-2009, 06:20 AM
Contributors

The suspension on BMWs with RFTs is optimized for the stiffer sidewall tires. Replacement non-RFTs have less-stiff sidewalls so you may need to adjust your tire pressure upward a couple of lbs/psi over and above the settings recommended on the sticker on the driver door post.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='976406' date='Aug 14 2009, 07:20 AM
The suspension on BMWs with RFTs is optimized for the stiffer sidewall tires. Replacement non-RFTs have less-stiff sidewalls so you may need to adjust your tire pressure upward a couple of lbs/psi over and above the settings recommended on the sticker on the driver door post.
^+1....
Old 08-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Members

My Ride: december 2011 525d SE
Thumbs up

How did you manage to do that then ??
Ive Been Told The 17" Rimms on my 2005 525d are specificly designed for run flat tyres Only.
I replaced all of my tyres in March 09 with B/Stone Runflats and Now 5000 miles later have picked up two punctures and have had to change two of the tyres again.
I would love to change to Non RunFlats but my local BMW Stealer and BMW UK have both said I would have to change the Rims, As the wheels are for run flats only!!
Have you just changed the Tyres or Have you changed The wheels as well ??
Cheers
martin
Old 08-16-2009, 12:17 PM
rjc
Members

My Ride: Oct 2007: 525d SE Auto, Space Grey, Black Leather, Visibility Pack, Luxury Pack, Media Pack, Rear Air Bags, Space Saver Spare, Comfort Access, Auto Dim mirror + Ext folding, Through Load System, All round heated seats, Extended interior light pack, DAB, Logic 7, USB Interface and HUD.

I'm quite keen to know others with LCI who have made the change too. I will need 2 rear tyres soon, had a puncture twice in the same front (2 weeks apart) tyre, so ended up getting a single Goodyear NCT5 RFT each time.

I specifically asked BMW over wheels (I have style 243), their response was...

We chose to include Run-flat technology on our vehicles for the following reasons:

? It is dangerous to stop on any road to change a tyre, especially on a motorway or at night.
? There is no need to have to wait for a breakdown service to arrive.
? Safety and security of the driver and passenger(s) is maintained.
? Alloy wheels are difficult to detach from steel hubs.
? On most cars the spare is under the contents of the boot, and uses boot space.
? It can be tricky to line up the wheel bolt holes with the hub screw holes and match the thread.
? The dirty punctured tyre needs to be removed and stored in the boot.
? Another puncture before the punctured tyre is mended means one is stranded.
? A driver can continue for 150 miles at 50mph with a punctured Run-flat tyre.

All of our vehicles that use Run-flat technology have their suspension and braking components set up to accommodate Run-flat tyres. Should you decide to change to non Run-flats, it may alter the driving and handling characteristics of your vehicle. It is for this reason that this modification is not recommended by BMW as a manufacturer.

However, it is possible to have standard tyres fitted. You will additionally need to purchase either a spare wheel with jack and brace set or a mobility kit which can be ordered from the Parts Department of your nearest BMW Approved Dealership.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further queries.
As I already have the space saver spare, a change could be on the cards. Just unsure what negative effect, if any, the change will have...
Old 08-17-2009, 04:48 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: E61 sold nice E91 335i Sport Touring now

Lots of dicussion on this subject on BMWland forum and it seems that removing the runflats gives a far better ride.

I recently replaced my two rears and was tempted to go for non run flats but decided to stick with them.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport - Visibilty, Media, Logic7, Heated Comfort Seats, too many other extras to list

I swapped my 18" on RFTs to 19" with normal tyres (Conti's) the wheel/tyre combination is lighter giveing better take off and handling, and the ride is not as harsh or wandery - I have a pre-LCI however, which seem to have been setup for non-RFT's (or at least BMW did a bad bad job of setting them up for RFTs)

Its a winner all around - only problem is I now need a spare or at least a can of tyre weld.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d F10, Sport Auto, Black, sun protection, Oyster/Black with Anthracite, Ambient lighting.

Originally Posted by fifthinarow' post='978387' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:36 PM
How did you manage to do that then ??
Ive Been Told The 17" Rimms on my 2005 525d are specificly designed for run flat tyres Only.
I replaced all of my tyres in March 09 with B/Stone Runflats and Now 5000 miles later have picked up two punctures and have had to change two of the tyres again.
I would love to change to Non RunFlats but my local BMW Stealer and BMW UK have both said I would have to change the Rims, As the wheels are for run flats only!!
Have you just changed the Tyres or Have you changed The wheels as well ??
Cheers
martin
I have kept the original 17" wheels, I am told the only difference between a run flat rim and a standard rim is the width of the lip that the tyre sits on, it is bigger on a run flat so standard tyres WILL go on a run flat rim, I've done over 3000miles on mine and so far so good. I am still playing with tyre pressures as my LCI does seem to wander a bit more than it did before but in every other respect it's much better on conventional tyres. I too was fed up with punctures (4 in 18 months) and the fact that on two occasions the offending nail had NOT gone right through the tyre but still resulted in an air leak and a new tyre. That together with poor cold weather tyre grip made me change.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 March E60 530i, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather, Style 124 18" Alloy, Active Steering, Adaptive headlights, Auto-Dim Int+Folding Ext Mirrors, Auto Aircon Advanced, Brushed Aluminium Trim, CD Changer, Comfort Seats, De-Chrome, Dynamic Drive, Electric Glass Sun Roof, Graduate Tinted Windscreen, Heated Front Seats, Natvigation Professional, Sport Steering wheel, Sun Protection Glass, TV function

While we are talking on this topic, does anyone know what's the difference between Run flat tyres and Reinforced tyres? I'm thinking about ditching the run-flat and move back to conventional tyres for ride comfort, came across some called reinforced at blackcircles.com. Not sure if I need a space saver for those, can anyone help? Thanks.

Quick Reply: LCI Cars and Run Flat Tyres