5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E61 Touring Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/)
-   -   Keyless entry troubleshooting (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/keyless-entry-troubleshooting-148520/)

driftxsequence 05-21-2018 04:02 PM

Keyless entry troubleshooting

We recently picked up a wagon and purchased it knowing the keyless entry was no good. It's now my job to figure out why and get it working for the Misses.

I started off by replacing the key fob battery and that resulted in no change. Now today, I replaced the diversity antenna as well with no change.

There was a previous hatch wiring repair that doesn't look to good....I'm going to repair that soon as well.

Besides that am I missing anything? Any way to test the fob or car? What fuses should I be checking?

Also...I accidentally broke the ribbon cable for the red plug...any one have an idea what that is? It sheared off and I can't see where it's supposed to go.

driftxsequence 05-21-2018 05:31 PM

Small update. keyless DOES work. range is short, the button press doenst always result in an action. I ordered a proper VL2020 battery as I rigged a CR2032 in there currently. Will test more tomorrow....

Chris_B 05-28-2018 06:55 AM

I think the red ribbon should go down into the glass. The black ribbon goes up into the spoiler.
Neither of my fobs worked when I got the car, but a locksmith showed me they were both emitting signal.
Ultimately, I had to replace all the bodged loom wiring into the glass, including sorting the switch, and finding out how to ping the lid with no power, and then I found that the diversity antenna was knackered, and I replaced it.

Everything is now working properly. However - my red ribbon cable was OK.

martajlloyd 02-23-2019 07:10 AM

That's strange locksmith service is needed for that fob issue..

kd7iwp 02-25-2019 08:25 AM

I have the same issue with mine as well. I don't want to drop $400 on a new antenna amplifier if I don't know for sure if it's broken or not. I've looked at all the wires in the loom and they appear fine but I'm not opposed to replacing them if I have to. There is no sign of corrosion or water penetration on the amplifier module as some others have shown.

dcfjord 02-25-2019 11:30 AM

This should be a good reference on which wires to trace. I had the same issue, what fixed it was the hatch wiring loom. I am now having the issues again but that is due to an imperfect job the first time.

dennis_maine 03-09-2019 05:59 AM

I just wanted to add a comment to the diversity antenna issue, without starting yet another thread. My comment is: Be aware that there are two frequencies used on the E61: 868.4 MHz and 315 MHz. Make sure your replacement is the right one.

norsecarnut 03-15-2019 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by dennis_maine (Post 1599477)
I just wanted to add a comment to the diversity antenna issue, without starting yet another thread. My comment is: Be aware that there are two frequencies used on the E61: 868.4 MHz and 315 MHz. Make sure your replacement is the right one.

that's a very good post. thx. will be digging into this soon to sell the car in proper working condition.

EasonApollo 07-08-2019 07:51 AM

Before selling the car, one must think about that option. It will help to fix the issue, i also took help from suffolk county locksmith for keyless entry troubleshooting problem.

SamBilling 08-11-2019 12:31 AM

I faced troubles like locked keys in car or lost keys many times but i never thought of selling that car. With the help of mechanic i overcomed that problem but never thought of selling my car.