E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Key not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 05:15 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535 3.0 200kw
Default Key not working

Car : 535d 3.0 200kw 2005
so the issue is that both keys are dead, died at the same time (before I was able to lock and unlock while putting key very close to antenna, but now it doesn't do anything)
Went to bmw dealership to figure out if the antenna amplifier is faulty (even tho radio is fine but I heard that door locking/unlocking part can be dead while radio part working fine) but they confirmed that it's not antenna amplifier, they said I should make a new keys. I didnt want to give up as new key costs like 300 euros per key. So I went to the guy who changes battery of key , he changed battery but it didn't change anything at all, went back and he said I should teach the car key again. Attempted to teach the key (tried : turn once , then back and take key out , hold unlock button, while pushing lock button 3 times with a bit of delay - it didn't work , tried to turn 5 times rapidly, then take out and same end as first one , but it didn't work either) .

Does anyone ever had similar issue ? Or know what may cause that ? There is no way both keys plates are bad at the same time right ? Or should I still continue changing antenna amplifier? Kinda stuck here and idk what to do, maybe making new keys doesn't change it either , then I have to still buy new amplifier...

Old 02-08-2024, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

You need to buy a BMW specific DTC code reader.
Old 02-08-2024, 06:58 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by donpb
You need to buy a BMW specific DTC code reader.
You mean obd? If so , obd doesn't show any faults.
Old 02-08-2024, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Not generic OBD2. You need a BMW specific reader.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:03 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: E70 xDrive35i LCI N55, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, 4zone climate, Heated seats F/R, HK Surround Sound
Model Year: 2012
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by Riffolen
Car : 535d 3.0 200kw 2005
so the issue is that both keys are dead, died at the same time (before I was able to lock and unlock while putting key very close to antenna, but now it doesn't do anything)
Went to bmw dealership to figure out if the antenna amplifier is faulty (even tho radio is fine but I heard that door locking/unlocking part can be dead while radio part working fine) but they confirmed that it's not antenna amplifier, they said I should make a new keys. I didnt want to give up as new key costs like 300 euros per key. So I went to the guy who changes battery of key , he changed battery but it didn't change anything at all, went back and he said I should teach the car key again. Attempted to teach the key (tried : turn once , then back and take key out , hold unlock button, while pushing lock button 3 times with a bit of delay - it didn't work , tried to turn 5 times rapidly, then take out and same end as first one , but it didn't work either) .

Does anyone ever had similar issue ? Or know what may cause that ? There is no way both keys plates are bad at the same time right ? Or should I still continue changing antenna amplifier? Kinda stuck here and idk what to do, maybe making new keys doesn't change it either , then I have to still buy new amplifier...
The E61 is very susceptible to wiring damage just inside the rear roof area. Just aft of the ceiling speakers.

It is a time consuming job, as the entire rear hatch needs to be mostly dissembled and wiring harness pulled back into the cabin at the speaker opening to repair the harness.

I have repaired the wiring on two E61's in the last six months. Many strange issues can happen. Both cars had serious wiring issues with various symptoms. Since you have had the amplifier tested, I am betting on broken wires. Neither cars remote key would work, only one had a bad antenna module but the radio still worked on that one. Car 1 only had broken wires. Car 2 had broken wires and bad antenna module.

Repair harnesses are available but they are pricy. The repair is mostly labor.

Close up of damaged wiring

Every wire in this harness is damaged

Water tight, soldered and heat shrink.

Finished repair. Genuine BMW wire tape.

Last edited by Greggo; 02-26-2024 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:05 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: E70 xDrive35i LCI N55, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, 4zone climate, Heated seats F/R, HK Surround Sound
Model Year: 2012
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by donpb
Not generic OBD2. You need a BMW specific reader.
A code reader will not help with this problem.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:31 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Greggo
The E61 is very susceptible to wiring damage just inside the rear roof area. Just aft of the ceiling speakers.

It is a time consuming job, as the entire rear hatch needs to be mostly dissembled and wiring harness pulled back into the cabin at the speaker opening to repair the harness.

I have repaired the wiring on two E61's in the last six months. Many strange issues can happen. Both cars had serious wiring issues with various symptoms. Since you have had the amplifier tested, I am betting on broken wires. Neither cars remote key would work, only one had a bad antenna module but the radio still worked on that one. Car 1 only had broken wires. Car 2 had broken wires and bad antenna module.

Repair harnesses are available but they are pricy. The repair is mostly labor.

Close up of damaged wiring

Every wire in this harness is damaged

Water tight, soldered and heat shrink.

Finished repair. Genuine BMW wire tape.
Apparently it may not be a case for me but can't be sure , the guy who's making new keys changed key battery but it still didn't fix the issue , went back there and he was testing if key even gives any signal , but nothing , battery level is fine but 0 signal coming from key , so I guess I should change the chip inside the fob ? But now the question is if I change the chip , can I just teach that key to car or it needs to be programmed ? I just hope it's not wires , since it will cost about 600 euros to fix the wires
Old 02-27-2024, 07:24 AM
New Members

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Touring)

Originally Posted by Greggo
A code reader will not help with this problem.
Actually, a 2-way, BMW-specific reader will help a lot. You can monitor the status of the receiver to see if it's seeing the signal from the keyfobs, for example. It'll also tell you a lot about the state of the entire remote access system, though I don't recall the specifics (sold my E61 a year ago).
Old 02-27-2024, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by habbyguy
actually, a 2-way, bmw-specific reader will help a lot. You can monitor the status of the receiver to see if it's seeing the signal from the keyfobs, for example. It'll also tell you a lot about the state of the entire remote access system, though i don't recall the specifics (sold my e61 a year ago).
+1
Old 02-27-2024, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Hell how many people do you know that has a OBD2 reader let alone a bidirectional scanner. Although the scanner does give you a lot of information probably only a few out of the many who owns a car actually own a basic reader. If you're not a DIYer owning anything over a simple reader is a waste of money because you'll be taking your car to a shop where they are going to charge you a diagnostic fee regardless. I know this is way off topic so I'll get back on it. Surely a bidirectional scanner will give you what you need to test wiring. I perform those tests all the time then use a sniffer to find the break.

Last edited by donpb; 02-27-2024 at 04:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Key not working