E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Key fob issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 03:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Originally Posted by bigun
Hi, I have read my codes and there was one KBM error relating to the central locking relay failing, what do you think?
Tough one, it sure is possible that the module will suffer from something external like that but it might be a module fault as well.
I'm inclined to advise you to get it to a trustworthy dealer and have them look at it with some clear pointers and a max budget. Only if you don't have a 'we have an error, let's replace the module' kind of service dept. there of course. Since you only performed a visual check of the diversity module you might want to have that checked again as well.

A similar thread I found mentions similar symptoms and also a replaced KBM module (post #2), in that case it appears it just fixed part of the problem and the wiring harness was at fault as well.

Seems we're beyond the easy diagnosis on this one, sorry...
Old 01-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We cleared the code yesterday evening. We though that all the messing about with the fuses, removing the diversty antenna and other things were flagging bogus faults. I drove home from my brothers, got out the car tried the key and hey presto it locked. Tried it a few more times and it opened but did ot lock. Tried to unlock this morning and it worked and it's worked fine ever since. Hooked the car back up and only one code stored for my aux water pump. So I am really scratching my head with this, it's not the key because i have checked and its charging, it's not the diversty antenna, I managed to open the car from a good 60 feet today and the radio signal is strong, it not the wiring because everything works at the boot and when I removed the antenna it flagged errors for no power to the antenna and it's no the body module because no faults are logged.This for me Is a moving electrical part like a relay. Has anyone on this forum any thoughts on my dilema? I am happy now while it's working but for how long?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Members

Still sounds completely like my probs, no faultcodes, intermitting problems and full reach at the time it was working. One dealer didn't have a clue, another one directly told me it should be the diversity module. I gave it a try and still don't have any problems.

Couldn't you try a new one for a week or something like that?

@Theo, yes they replaced the foams for extra insulation. Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bazz530i
Still sounds completely like my probs, no faultcodes, intermitting problems and full reach at the time it was working. One dealer didn't have a clue, another one directly told me it should be the diversity module. I gave it a try and still don't have any problems.

Couldn't you try a new one for a week or something like that?

@Theo, yes they replaced the foams for extra insulation. Thanks for the tip!
Hi Bazz
The unit is £220 and my unit shows no obvious signs of damage. The only possible unaware problem could be a faulty transistor on the circuit board. That would explain the sporadic nature of the fault. I had a Arcam amp once that would play beautifully and every now and then no sound through one speaker, the transistors for the left speaker were faulty. To be honest since 1990 I have owned four beemers and I am pig sick of silly little faults like this. The best bmw I owned was an e46 that I bought 12 months old and owned for four years and never spent a penny on. My first an e 36 was a bag of spanners but the interior was solid as a rock, the e 46 was solid mechanically but the interior was cheap and nasty. The next one I owned was a brand new 318 in 1999, only owned it a couple a months and it was recalled for a water pump/thermostat issue. My current ride an e61 which I have owned for over four years has failed with every common issue ( bmw design fault) known. Thanks for the info I will look for a unit, just did not want to shed out £220 for a unit I don't require. Sorry to the members about my rant, I have owned all the well known German brands and I have had issues with them all, don't get me started on Audi servicing!
Old 01-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Members

Hi Bazz
The unit is £220 and my unit shows no obvious signs of damage. The only possible unaware problem could be a faulty transistor on the circuit board. That would explain the sporadic nature of the fault. I had a Arcam amp once that would play beautifully and every now and then no sound through one speaker, the transistors for the left speaker were faulty. To be honest since 1990 I have owned four beemers and I am pig sick of silly little faults like this. The best bmw I owned was an e46 that I bought 12 months old and owned for four years and never spent a penny on. My first an e 36 was a bag of spanners but the interior was solid as a rock, the e 46 was solid mechanically but the interior was cheap and nasty. The next one I owned was a brand new 318 in 1999, only owned it a couple a months and it was recalled for a water pump/thermostat issue. My current ride an e61 which I have owned for over four years has failed with every common issue ( bmw design fault) known. Thanks for the info I will look for a unit, just did not want to shed out £220 for a unit I don't require. Sorry to the members about my rant, I have owned all the well known German brands and I have had issues with them all, don't get me started on Audi servicing!
I have managed to source a new one at half the price, lets give it a go! Fingers crossed
Old 01-10-2012, 06:20 AM
Members

I have managed to source a new one at half the price, lets give it a go! Fingers crossed
I've got my fingers crossed for you! I can't think of anything else though considering your complaints, exactly the same as mine.

Never thought a car with a new sale price of ?124.000.- could have such stupid design failures which my 4 year old daughter even understands.... If there's a hole, water will come through when it rains.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

124,000 EUROS??? Really? Is that how much they cost in the Netherlands? I just checked out the 535 XI on the Italian site, and it only says 60,000 Euros base price?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Originally Posted by Lotus99
124,000 EUROS??? Really? Is that how much they cost in the Netherlands? I just checked out the 535 XI on the Italian site, and it only says 60,000 Euros base price?
New cars are taxed quite a bit here*, 535i x-drive has a base price of 71,500 EUR here. Full options will get you at 125,000, 550i near 160,000.

*Not as bad as some Scandinavian countries and Japan or Singapore though.

OT: any news on the new diversity module?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Members

Well the unit arrived and i eagerly installed but wait for it ........... it's not the problem.
So i have checked the wiring with a multimeter.
Checked for codes but nothing.
Replaced the diversty anntena with no luck
Replaced the battery in my key, checked to see if its charging and discharging but no signs of an issue 3.25 to 3.45 volts after 45 mins drive.
Checked my door and windows for signs of failure but nothing.
I have contacted two BMW dealers and they have not got a clue in my opinion, just sugested a new key or antenna.
I still think that rain fall affects the operation but no underlining proof.
HAS ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS???????
IF BMW DONT KNOW WHO WILL??????
PLEASE HELP ME BECAUSE ITS DRIVING ME CRAZZZZZY!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Theo
New cars are taxed quite a bit here*, 535i x-drive has a base price of 71,500 EUR here. Full options will get you at 125,000, 550i near 160,000.

*Not as bad as some Scandinavian countries and Japan or Singapore though.

OT: any news on the new diversity module?
Wow all that money for a bit of tin!!!!!! The most i have splashed out is £30k plus here in the UK and i consider that to be a lot for a private purchase.

Quick Reply: Key fob issues