E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Island Road E61 535xi M5 Clone Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 05:22 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: 535xi Wagon
Model Year: 2010
Default Island Road Build E61 535i - #Hexon #ALPHAWAG

So I wanted to do a build thread on the car considering that I have gotten a few questions in regards to the mods that have been done.

When the car was bought late 2013 it was bone stock except that Thule box that it come with. Unfortunately it was not the sport model and automatic but for the price point we could not pass it up. The car is a constant work in progress, once finished the car is going to be shown at 2015 Bimmer Fest East at the Dinmann Booth. There should be a lot more done at that time.

Car - 2008 BMW E61 535xi
Color - SpaceGray Metallic
Transmission - Auto

Mods
  • AR Downpipes
  • M5 Front Bumper
  • M5 Front Fenders
  • M5 Mirrors
  • M5 Brakes
  • M5 Side Skirts
  • M-tech Rear Bumper
  • VRSF Stepped 5" IC
  • K&N Drop in Filter
  • Wedge Tune
  • SAT Flash
  • Forgestar F14 SDC - Front 19x9.5 ET26 / Rear 19x10 ET28
  • 20mm Rear Spacers
  • Tires - Hankook R-S3 255/40/19 & 285/35/19

In the works
  • Custom Dinmann Front Splitter - Waiting to be shipped
  • Custom Dinmann Rear Quad Diffuser - Working with Dinmann on development
  • ISC Coilovers / Swift Springs - Working with ISC for development
  • Hexon Racing RR650 Turbos - Working with Hexon for development
  • Custom 3" Dual Quad Exhaust

To be done
  • Black out Chrome Trim
  • Black Roof
  • Work with Dinmann on Vented Hood
  • Custom Dinmann M5 Side Splitters
  • Paint Interior Trim Paino Black
  • Sport Flat bottom Steering wheel
  • Possible 6 Speed transmission swap
  • Fuel Pump Upgrade
  • Tinted Windows
  • RD Front and Rear Sway Bars
  • LED Angel Eye Rings

The car in its stock form

Name:  B98hfxs.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  331.9 KB

Name:  Ie1hNkp.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  262.9 KB

First mod that was done was upgrading the exterior. I had been eyeing the M5 rep kit but then decided I wanted the overall look of the car from the M5. Everything OEM M5 trim that would fit and M-tech rear. This would also allow me more spacing in the front to run a wider wheel setup and of course a more aggressive look.

Name:  Lbuy0Cr.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  998.6 KB
Name:  IOoc91j.jpg
Size:  211.1 KB
Name:  679ZaAQ.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  551.7 KB
Name:  jZeinAg.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  180.7 KB
Name:  Bl5Yafv.jpg
Size:  139.6 KB
Name:  zF0n6hX.jpg
Size:  232.6 KB
Name:  VXHJJNu.jpg
Size:  483.7 KB

The small stock brakes had to go and the M5 ones were a great upgrade that was a semi BBK if you will. While the fronts are just a direct swap the rears are not so. A new M5 hub had to be installed that also allowed for a different offset for the rear wheels. When all said and done that result was great and overall fit the look of were the car was headed. Swapping the hubs is not a light task. It was a very long process. Along with the brakes new wheels were needed.

After speaking with Evan on the forums and also seeing another wagon with the wheels I decided to go with ForgeStar F14 SDC 19x9.5 ET26 / 19x10 ET28. They are a great look for the wagon and the SDC really make it stand out.

Name:  yFu15NG.jpg
Size:  175.0 KB
Name:  y3pPAJQ.jpg
Size:  169.9 KB
Name:  EE8gRUf.jpg
Size:  176.4 KB
Name:  YpK8MzA.jpg
Size:  177.9 KB
Name:  UMiLNYV.jpg
Size:  167.2 KB
Name:  VZ5FVZ7.jpg
Size:  343.9 KB

Before Fitting the M5 Bumper

Name:  v0NIII1.jpg
Size:  152.9 KB

Tires Mounted with out the spacers

Name:  uOiPnEL.jpg
Size:  181.4 KB
Name:  oTYHozV.jpg
Size:  186.5 KB
Name:  OyuI3xF.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  149.0 KB
Name:  IzbIvSM.jpg
Size:  309.7 KB
Name:  O67upyh.jpg
Size:  202.7 KB
Name:  Nh0mZZ3.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  190.1 KB
Name:  llafVwj.jpg
Size:  188.6 KB

Considering we had the M5 OEM bumper we did not like the look or the function of the VRSF 7" IC. More surface area is the way to go and also overall looks are just a lot better with the stepped core. It takes up just about the entire front space and without looking off. Also the transmission oil cooler sits perfectly behind the stepped area. Brackets were made up in order to hold it in place as we did not like the option zip ties I wanted a cleaner look. Along with the intercooler we also installed AR Downpipes, while I don't have any pictures of the install it was a big PIA but can be done without dropping the subframe.

Name:  rysGBvS.jpg
Size:  154.7 KB
Name:  zhzeoXG.jpg
Size:  404.0 KB
Name:  bgkfgVY.jpg
Size:  409.7 KB
Name:  JuiW5sV.jpg
Size:  471.0 KB
Name:  YfrVuSJ.jpg
Size:  405.7 KB
Name:  VDtuZRz.jpg
Size:  375.9 KB
Name:  PjlatoD.jpg
Size:  388.7 KB

Some pictures that have been taken with all the parts installed. I don't have a proper photoshoot but when everything is installed that will come. I am currently working with a few companies on some new products. Total output we are aiming for is anything over 600whp, I currently have the Hexon RR450 but decided not to install and wait for the new turbos to be finished from them. We will be the first to have them installed.

Car with parts fitted * Needs a photoshoot

Name:  nPK2Dtt.jpg
Size:  420.8 KB
Name:  hDwQ31b.jpg
Size:  200.5 KB
Name:  U2PXq41.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  419.0 KB
Name:  HgCwNcw.jpg
Size:  535.8 KB
Name:  myG7Zxw.jpg
Size:  577.0 KB

Hexon RR650 Exhaust Housings

Name:  6kpvtFD.jpg
Size:  221.5 KB
Name:  nMJxILU.jpg
Size:  97.2 KB
Name:  QDxB16g.jpg
Size:  108.3 KB
Name:  0nGuMeo.jpg
Size:  150.0 KB

Last edited by Island Road; 09-10-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Wow. Amazing build and documentation. Looks gorgeous! Can't wait to see the final build pics.

How come you didn't go with the established turbo guys like RB or Vargas?

Are you going to run E85 too? Sounds like you're on your way.

And don't forget to add LED angel eyes. If you want to go high end, get the latest Lux. I find in this car's AE's, the optics are a lot better than in the 3 series and they are brighter, and the outer ring also lights up quite well (not as much on the 3 though), so it's well worth the upgrade IMO: https://5series.net/forums/e61-touri...s-leds-136675/
Old 02-18-2015, 10:44 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

I like the project! Probably already more power than an M5 with just the intercooler and upgraded turbos, what are you using for ECU tuning?
Old 02-19-2015, 08:02 AM
New Members

My Ride: 535xit
Model Year: 08

Awesome build.

You are tempting me to get the same IC since i have the same bumper.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:38 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 530d auto, Proffesional satnav, power tailgate, interior lights, auto dipping mirrors.

Very nice!
Old 02-19-2015, 09:08 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 535XiT

Looking good!!!
One quick question about your wheel set up. Do you have any problem with rubbing issue? Are you planing on lowering it?
I have exact same car but in white and thinking about getting a new set of wheel. Your input is appreciated..
Mike
Old 02-19-2015, 09:33 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Wow. Amazing build and documentation. Looks gorgeous! Can't wait to see the final build pics.

How come you didn't go with the established turbo guys like RB or Vargas?

Are you going to run E85 too? Sounds like you're on your way.

And don't forget to add LED angel eyes. If you want to go high end, get the latest Lux. I find in this car's AE's, the optics are a lot better than in the 3 series and they are brighter, and the outer ring also lights up quite well (not as much on the 3 though), so it's well worth the upgrade IMO: https://5series.net/forums/e61-touri...s-leds-136675/
Thanks! The transformation is coming long nice its def fun to watch it grow into something else.

As for RB or Vargas, I was considering VTT but issues I have had with them on my 335i for turbo wait times led me away. I know RB are great and established but it was really that I wanted a small bump in power so I found Hexon and the pricing was great hence why I bit the bullet. It was only after that I figured why not bump up the power even more in an AWD Wagon this would be awesome. We agreed on me being a tester for his new RR450 turbos and when the RR650 came out I would give them back these turbos have more powerful turbos then VTT or RB, RR650 should result in over 600whp. Also considering having a ST package within a XI was big task I did not mind taking a risk on Hexon. The company has proven itself on other platforms so I did not mind trying them out.

I plan on running a E85 blend, considering I don't have E85 in NH so am going to buy a drum for E98 that has a octane rating of 120. Then have map switching when I need to so the summer I can have fun and in the winter just regular 93. The drum should last me a long time as I will only be using 5 gallons per fill with 11 of 93 will give me a octane rating of around 101 so it should last.

As for the Angel eyes thanks for the reminder. I actually already have Lux on the 335i and on the 535xi it does have upgraded AE. I want to do LED brows to remove the orange and buy some rings while i am in there so I need to add that to the list.

Originally Posted by bmwmonkey
I like the project! Probably already more power than an M5 with just the intercooler and upgraded turbos, what are you using for ECU tuning?
Thanks! As for the flash, I used Brav Tech Cable to flash with Bimmerboost App and Wedge Performance made me a map for it.

When the new turbos come I will be going with Cobb V3 or JB.

Originally Posted by rorschach76
Awesome build.

You are tempting me to get the same IC since i have the same bumper.
Thank you! Honestly I have VRSF 7" in the 335i and I have seen other installs on the E61 and its not the depth that makes the IC its the surface area it covers. Plus the looks of the 7' just are off with this bumper and leaves it unfinished in my opinion. That's why I like the stepped version, I wish it was 7" stepped but what can you do. If you want to go with a better core ideally I would do Cobb stepped or Helix Stepped. Although you can beat the price / performance for VRSF with this one.

Originally Posted by phillc
Very nice!
Old 02-19-2015, 09:44 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by kkeetha
Looking good!!!
One quick question about your wheel set up. Do you have any problem with rubbing issue? Are you planing on lowering it?
I have exact same car but in white and thinking about getting a new set of wheel. Your input is appreciated..
Mike
Mike,

On full lock there is slight rubbing. I suspect this is only because I did not use the M5 liners though and I stretched mine. The liners might allow more room. Also I need to set up my camber correctly that is going to be done in time. Also note that I have M5 hubs in the rear so this changed my offset by 1 inch to allow for M5 BBK and also wide wheels in the rear. With M5 front fenders this also allowed 10mm more of spacing in the front for wider wheels. Unless you have the same setup my wheel specs are are going to be to aggressive, I would take some measurements prior to ordering tires and wheels.

As for the lowering I talked with ISC suspension company conveniently located in NH as well and they are using my car to make a coilover kit for the E61. So I am lowering it but also improving on the performance of handling.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Dan
Old 02-19-2015, 03:07 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Engine: N54

Those coilovers can't come soon enough!

How is the wedge transmission flash? Pros? Cons? I used to have stock and now run SAT flash, an improvement but am still looking for something better.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:40 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Those coilovers can't come soon enough!

How is the wedge transmission flash? Pros? Cons? I used to have stock and now run SAT flash, an improvement but am still looking for something better.
Ya its 4 wheeling right now. Should be going into the shop in a week for the coilovers to be test fitted. Right now its the winter so not a huge deal considering all the snow here.

I meant SAT Flash wedge just did it for me so, I am going to be editing that. We cant't get the aplina flash unfortunately so SAT is the best there is.

Are you still considering the 6 MT swap, any details on this?

Quick Reply: Island Road E61 535xi M5 Clone Wagon