E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

ISC Coilover install and review

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 07:17 AM
New Members

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '00 540i6, 08 535xiT, '11 335d

nolatourings-Thank you! On the highway last night I noticed some fore-aft pitching when hitting undulations in the pavement, a little unsettling. I think I need to play with the damper stiffness a bit. As of right now I've got the rear at 6 clicks and the front at 8(from full soft).

I did street sport, full kit that deletes the air suspension. Mine was fully functional and essentially everything had been replaced under the CPO warranty in the last 30k miles....but I didn't want to give it the opportunity to fail.

I know what you mean, during install I found that my LF inner axle boot had slipped off who knows how long ago, and the grease inside was silver from metallic shavings. Odd though, since I've never had any noise from it. Always had an intermittent vibration but it's so slight and hasn't changed in intensity so I've let it be. So I'll get to pull it all apart anyway. ugh.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:23 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 530xiT, 01 325iT, 01 525iT, 04 Suburban, 16 Tahoe
Model Year: 2007

Same thing with mine. LF axle boot busted. Just waiting to change mine when I do the Coilovers.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:42 PM
New Members

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Touring 6MT, 2001 325i 5MT
Engine: N54, M54

I just pulled my front axles recently and it was a piece of cake. I hope it’s not too bad for you.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:14 PM
New Members

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '00 540i6, 08 535xiT, '11 335d

Originally Posted by nolatourings
Same thing with mine. LF axle boot busted. Just waiting to change mine when I do the Coilovers.
Originally Posted by kd7iwp
I just pulled my front axles recently and it was a piece of cake. I hope it’s not too bad for you.
When I had the powerflex bushes and new ball joints installed over the winter, the installer busted the passenger axle boot, but it's inner bits looked good so he regreased it and but a new boot on it. It's still holding up. This car came out of Northern Ohio, so unfortunately there's been extensive rust related issues, concerning removal of various bolts and screws underneath. 2 different claims on the corrosion warranty for the tailgate, found more corrosion on the passenger front doors.. At this point 2 doors were replaced and the tailgate was replaced...of course the doors being painted meant they had to blend essentially the entire side of the car along with the rear bumper. The last claim was in April.

The axle nuts are corroded to hell -_-. It's scaring me a bit to be honest but I paid so little for the car in the first place, meh.

I just got back from Florida this past Saturday where the car of course sat at the airport all week. This wasn't an issue, especially since I replaced the battery right before I left. What was an issue...however, before I even made it home from the Airport, the water pump took a dump. iDrive warned me of the overheat at 114* C. Immediately rolled the windows down, cranked the temp up and put on defrost(enables aux water pump) and even in traffic that brought it to 98*C(car is tuned so temp/thermostat parameters are modified).

I've owned BMW's for years, so I realize they can be a pain but up until this summer the ownership experience has been pretty breezy, even with 2 Twin Turbo BMW's, and a V8 e39 in my fleet. I realize some of this is elective or while i'm there things but it's recently become...a lot lol.

To recap, in the last year it's already had;

VCG, OFHG, Plugs & Coils
Tension Strut Bushes & Ball Joints
Mechatronics Sleeve(Leaking)..Did a full Valve Body Out Service w new solenoids, seals, fluid and filter at that time for P.O.M.
xFer Case, F&R Diff Service
Oil Pan Gasket
New Rear Ball Joints, Links, Arms, and TAB's.
ISC Coilovers
Sway Bushes F&R
M5 Rear Sway & Links

So now, the to:do list for it's next visit to the lift is as follows;

Driver Front Axle Shaft
Both Tie Rod Ends(seized so I can't align it properly)
Serpentine Belt, Pulleys, and Tensioner-2nd time around in 2 years..an idler is noisy again.
Water Pump
Thermostat
ECS Silicone Hose(s)
Aluminum Bleed Screw
Aluminum Pump to Head Hose Flange
Oil and Filter Change

*cries softly*
Old 10-15-2020, 06:34 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 530xi Wagon
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by alexbaldy
My two cents to support this thread.

Using iSC coilovers over a year now. No complaints. Drive my E61 daily. I got "air suspension delete kit" never missed my air suspension! When I drive with my wife, this car used to be hers when I got it I installed the coilovers, she doesn't even notice a difference.

Coded air suspension error away and the car looks like million bucks (at least to me)
I've had the ISC suspension now for a while. Purchased protools to code out the suspension. I was told it isn't that easy. Protools says "I need to unplug the EDC module and the EDC options in the cluster need to be turned off"

Is this what you did? How did you code yours off?
Old 10-16-2020, 04:52 AM
New Members

My Ride: e61

To those that have the adjustable versions of the street comfort dampers, what settings are you using? I'm trying to get the balance of soft ride for my wife, but fun enough when I get behind the wheel it doesn't roll like crazy. We have an m5 rear swaybar, but OEM front. Maybe that's the issue. Not quite balanced like I'd like it to be. I inherited it with the rear bar. To be honest, the more suspension travel the better.

The x5 with adjustable dampers and hydraulic swaybars have ruined it for me. It's so good.

Last edited by adonnan; 10-16-2020 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:42 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 530xi Wagon
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by adonnan
To those that have the adjustable versions of the street comfort dampers, what settings are you using? I'm trying to get the balance of soft ride for my wife, but fun enough when I get behind the wheel it doesn't roll like crazy. We have an m5 rear swaybar, but OEM front. Maybe that's the issue. Not quite balanced like I'd like it to be.
This is what I have read. Not confirmed by personal experience at all. That installing the M5 rear and the stock front leads to an unbalanced feeling with the vehicle. F/R Too soft/Too stiff. I went with the ISC street/sport settings. Still dialing in but I'm currently 9F/8R. Don't really notice much body roll. But where I live now the roads aren't that curvy. How I wish I could bring my E61 back home to the Canyons of Los Angeles county. i miss those sweet curvy roads.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:01 AM
New Members

My Ride: E70 X5M
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by spunkmtb
I've had the ISC suspension now for a while. Purchased protools to code out the suspension. I was told it isn't that easy. Protools says "I need to unplug the EDC module and the EDC options in the cluster need to be turned off"

Is this what you did? How did you code yours off?
Sorry I missed your question.

I had to code my error off.
Huge thanks to a forum member julienjj!
He helped me with this:
https://5series.net/forums/e61-touri...-147555/page2/