E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Introducing myself... soon to be 2008 535xi owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 535xi wagon. Monaco Blue/Dakota Brown interior, M Package

Hello,

My name is Alex, live in Atlanta, GA, but moving to San Francisco bay Area in April. I came here to learn about how to properly lower my soon to be purchased 535xi wagon for the type of roads I'll be driving, and the type of use I will make of the car:

I know how to use the search function, and will be careful to research before asking newbie questions. I do however want to put it out there that the info I'm looking for will be regarding the following:

-I work in sales, so I'll be driving the car a lot on the highway and sometimes on some moderately curvy roads like the PCH, but never in any performance/autocross type of event. I'll occasionally tow a light trailer with my motorcycle on it. Lastly, I'll be putting some snow tires on my stock BMW wheels for those rare occasions when i will see snow/drive up to Tahoe to ski.

I'm trying to understand what the best way to moderately lower this car so it sits well on 19" wheels (I'm thinking some kind of CSL replica) wihout compromising handling too much. I've read bits and pieces on lots of different forums about coil-overs, just lowering springs, just front lowering springs etc... the info seems to be conflicting to say the least.

I called modbargains.com and they really wanted to sell me on the fact that $2000 coil overs are the only way to go...Right now, I'm trying to see if what I've read on forums is true, that shorter springs in the front are all that is necessary for moderate driving as the car has a self-leveling system in the rear. I'll also be searching this forum for pictures of other 535xi wagons which have been lowered moderately on 19" and are still very driveable as that will be a priority for me as this will be my work car (20k miles/year).

I'm also learning about low pressure cast wheels, and I think I'll be going with some "Alufelgen"? 19 in CSL replica rims as these seem to be getting the most positive reviews? I'm looking for pics of the polished front/black inside ones.

Any and all responses will be most welcome, hopefully over time I'll be able to contribute to this forum as I have on Ducati forums (my main passion) for years.

Regards,

Alex.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Contributors

Alex,

You've arrived at the right place

When you get out west you'll have lots of help to spend your mod dollars ENJOY!
Old 03-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

to the board!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 06' 530xi E61 Saphire Black / Dakota Black - aluminum 11' A4 Avant 2.0T Brilliant Black / Black - aluminum

Welcome to the board!

Concerning your Alufelgen question I have opted for these wheels in their Hypersilver finish and do agree that a drop is something to consider (a nust actually) I'm still working on this with the wife!!! As for the rear self leveling you will need to reprogram the height or get shorter brackets lowering the rear ride height.

I've included some pics not the greatest to give you an idea!
Attached Thumbnails Introducing myself... soon to be 2008 535xi owner-p4117248.jpg   Introducing myself... soon to be 2008 535xi owner-p4117250.jpg   Introducing myself... soon to be 2008 535xi owner-p4117254.jpg  
Old 03-23-2011, 06:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Spartan335i
Welcome to the board!

Concerning your Alufelgen question I have opted for these wheels in their Hypersilver finish and do agree that a drop is something to consider (a nust actually) I'm still working on this with the wife!!! As for the rear self leveling you will need to reprogram the height or get shorter brackets lowering the rear ride height.

I've included some pics not the greatest to give you an idea!
thanks for the pics... I'm assuming that car has NOT been lowered at all. The car I'm buying has some nice 18" wheels, but I think that I would still like to lower it a bit and put 19" on it. It is Monaco Blue with natural leather interior. The owner has also put a bumper from the 550i sport package on it, looks a bit like an M5 front end except it includes the foglights. I think it needs the side sills and smooth rear bumper from the 550i as well, but that is something I'll do over time. As soon as I have pictures I'll post them.

Do most people just do the springs for a moderate drop, or are the coilovers a must even for daily/highway driving?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 06' 530xi E61 Saphire Black / Dakota Black - aluminum 11' A4 Avant 2.0T Brilliant Black / Black - aluminum

I can't really say what most do on their Touring's to be honest and yes you are correct no drop on the wife's car !! I'm going to try this year again!!!

The aero package is very nice also, because it's a 2008 yours requires more hardware though (search for this and you will find info). The front and sides are interchangeable with the sedan but not the rear bumper. The E61 has it's own dedicated bumper in case you come accross a used one don't make the mistake of picking it up if it's for a sedan.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Spartan335i
The E61 has it's own dedicated bumper in case you come accross a used one don't make the mistake of picking it up if it's for a sedan.
GOOD info... thanks! yes, something to do with parking sensors... people are using a lot of acronyms that I don't know yet but I read enough to realize there is an issue with the rear bumper.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Members

Ok, these are pics of my car...

I also decided on some Forgestar F14 wheels, 19" diameter. These are flow formed rims, lighter than low pressure cast wheels (like OEM) but not terribly expensive at $1600. I'll probably go gunmetal color, but the little devil on my shoulder is telling me I should go for the crazy gold color... I'll post pics of both and of my car. thanks for all the great advice so far. I also purchased a black front kidney grill set to replace the chrome to finish of the "sport" dark look.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:12 AM
Senior Members

looks great in this colour, with the shadow line and the Mtech front

are these OEM wheels meant for the E60/61 at all? I can only find them in the E90 catalogue as Style 189 but they certainly look the part as a winter set

Quick Reply: Introducing myself... soon to be 2008 535xi owner