E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Intro & towing/hitch kit question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking and reading for a while - time to join in.

I am just about to order a 530xiT, but have one reservation: I need to tow a small trailer, about 850lbs total loaded weight, a couple of times a year. In Europe, you see BMs of all shapes and sizes towing all kinds of stuff - boats, jet skis, caravans etc - but not in the US. BMW USA "doesn't support" towing, even though I believe the 530 is rated (outside the US) to 3500lbs.

Does anyone have any info on what hitches and towing kits can be imported from Europe? Any recommendations or suggestions, please?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Alex
Old 03-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

Don't know if there are any differences with the X version, but the 530d Touring is a superb tow car. I must have done at least 20k miles towing a boat trailer. Self levelling suspension helps too.

I have the BMW fitted removable bar which is neater if only tow occasionally. Imagine you could order this via dealer - or direct from germany. Only complexity is that the software sems to be updated to understand towing - suppress rear parking sensors, monitor trailer lights etc (may not be worth the hassle if only do so occasionally)

Get BMW USA to sort this out - not everybody wants to use a rough old truck to pull a trailer
Old 03-05-2007, 03:42 AM
Senior Members

F.Y.I
The option code for the OEM removable tow hitch is: 235
The new electrical tow hitch has option code: 3AC

I don't thing they can be used on a car with M pack due to different rear diffusor...not 100% sure though.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:28 AM
Members

I have the BMW removeable hitch on my Sport model. There is a panel in the valance. The car does need reprogramming when it was fitted and this seems to take ages. If you get a dealer to agree to fit it make sure you agree an inclusive price.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Black BMW 525i Touring

I installed the detachable tow bar which was some 3 hrs work (incl. wiring).

You need to cut out a piece of your rear bumper where you ca then fit a piece that cover the hole. I opted for the Westfalia tow bar which is what BMW installs as the OEM tow bar.

Let the boating season begin!!
Old 06-29-2007, 06:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW ///M 525xi Carbon Black - Dakota Black Leather - Riegel Ahorn Anthrazit trim - Alloy wheels 135 8Jx18" - Sport Seats - Bi-Xenon Headlights - Nav. System Professional - Bluetooth phone prep. - Auto-Dim. Int + Folding exterior mirrors - Rear Blind (electric) and side blinds - PDC - Foldable rear seats - Trailer Clutch -- 1980 - E21 320 1984 - E21 323i - White 1988 - E34 520i - Light Blue 1995 - E39 528i - Dark Blue -- Momo 17" wheels 2001 - E39 530d - Stahblau -- ///M-kit 2002 - Mini Cooper S - Dark Silver -- wifes car 2006 - E60 525xi - Carbon black -- ///M-kit Mods: Anti carjacking system CJ-1

Originally Posted by Alexol' post='397349' date='Mar 2 2007, 01:55 AM
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking and reading for a while - time to join in.

I am just about to order a 530xiT, but have one reservation: I need to tow a small trailer, about 850lbs total loaded weight, a couple of times a year. In Europe, you see BMs of all shapes and sizes towing all kinds of stuff - boats, jet skis, caravans etc - but not in the US. BMW USA "doesn't support" towing, even though I believe the 530 is rated (outside the US) to 3500lbs.

Does anyone have any info on what hitches and towing kits can be imported from Europe? Any recommendations or suggestions, please?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Alex
Hi i saw your post on the bimmerforum and decided to search for it here on this forum since i'm not signed up on the other forum...

So if i get it wright you aren't sure if you can put a tow hitch an a x-drive car.
Well the answer is: yes. I have it on mine and it is really well hidden...

If you have some questions, just fire them up!

Here is a pic of the tow hitch on mine:
Intro & towing/hitch kit question...-dscn8882a__large_.jpg

Intro & towing/hitch kit question...-dscn8880a.jpg
Old 06-29-2007, 12:01 PM
Members

I ordered mine xd with a tow hitch (the detachable, the electric was not an option when choosing M-package)
Old 09-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 530xda' post='441508' date='Jun 29 2007, 03:01 PM
I ordered mine xd with a tow hitch (the detachable, the electric was not an option when choosing M-package)

It's now a long way doewn the road since the original question was asked, but my hitch is now installed and ready to go.

For those of you not in the US, you have NO idea how much hassle this has been! Any, all's well etc.

By the way, when not in use it is absolutely TOTALLY invisible from the rear - I'm delighted with it!

Thanks to all who helped...

Alex

PS Since then I've also had the iPod linked in to the GPS system with the official kit - works well, even if wildly overpriced IMHO.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 530xiT M

Originally Posted by Alexol' post='469631' date='Sep 14 2007, 09:42 PM
It's now a long way doewn the road since the original question was asked, but my hitch is now installed and ready to go.

For those of you not in the US, you have NO idea how much hassle this has been! Any, all's well etc.

By the way, when not in use it is absolutely TOTALLY invisible from the rear - I'm delighted with it!

Thanks to all who helped...

Alex

PS Since then I've also had the iPod linked in to the GPS system with the official kit - works well, even if wildly overpriced IMHO.
I'm interested in the hitch also, but only to put a bike rack on the back. How did you end up getting yours? Does it have a receiver or is it like some of the old Volvo hitches where there is no receiver per se. I would need a 2 inch receiver. I will be in Europe in the next few weeks and am tempted to order it from a dealership near to where I'll be and then just bring it back. I won't need the electrics since all I want it for is the bike rack. Did you get a part number? I can't find it on realoem.com
Old 09-17-2007, 07:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jbeene' post='470012' date='Sep 16 2007, 04:02 PM
I'm interested in the hitch also, but only to put a bike rack on the back. How did you end up getting yours? Does it have a receiver or is it like some of the old Volvo hitches where there is no receiver per se. I would need a 2 inch receiver. I will be in Europe in the next few weeks and am tempted to order it from a dealership near to where I'll be and then just bring it back. I won't need the electrics since all I want it for is the bike rack. Did you get a part number? I can't find it on realoem.com

The hitch kit & locking swan-neck ball came from

http://www.toys4cars.co.uk/index.php...oducts_id=8756

and later a universal wiring kit from

www.stores.channeladvisor.com/towbar

to bypass the CanBus system. No faults codes, no interference from the PDC - and no comment from the BMW dealer yet.

It turned out that I needed another little electrical gizmo which I got at U-Haul for about $15.

The total cost wasn?t that unreasonable considering past experience with a factory kit on a Volvo XC-70 and a friend?s experience with his VW Toureg at about $650 & $1050 respectively. The kit & swan-neck plus freight from the UK, electrical kit plus postage, and installation ran to about $1100. In my view, and for what I want out of the car, that is not unreasonable.

Since I know nothing about installing these kits and there is potential for serious expense if you offend the infamous black box(es) installation was done for me by Mike Haven of MPH Automotive in Houston. I am REALLY picky about who works on my vehicles ? the phrase anal-retentive has been used occasionally - and I trust these guys to do the job right. I travel to Houston periodically on business anyway, so the 500-mile round trip isn?t that much of a problem from where I live. Mike has worked on a 400E Merc as well as Porches 911 Cabs and done excellent work in each case. Very competent people.

By the way, most Euro kits, especially if TuV approved, have a 50mm ball, which is 1.969? not 2?. Not a huge difference, considering the sloppy fit of most hitches, but something to be aware of.

And the best part? TOTALLY invisible when the ball is detached!

Hope this helps?

Alex

Quick Reply: Intro & towing/hitch kit question...