E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Hydrolic tailgate retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 04:31 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw e61 family wagon so o/e
Model Year: 2008

Just took another look. Could be the canbus high and low wires pins 4 and 12 of the HKL module?
Old 08-16-2017, 12:31 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Davese61
Just took another look. Could be the canbus high and low wires pins 4 and 12 of the HKL module?
On the HKL module:

-Pin 5 of connector X1771 is CAN bus high and goes to connector X15013.
-Pin 12 of connector X1771 is CAN bus low and goes to connector X15014.

Connectors X15013 and X15014 are located at the rear most portion of the spare tire compartment.

The detailed pinout of the HKL is outlined on the PDF document that I posted previously.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:52 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Davese61
Ok. So I've had s good look through many websites explaining wiring diograms and think I've managed to figure most of this out. The 2nd diogram out of the 2 you sent looks much easier to read.it looks to me as tho there will only be 2 wires that actually need hardwiring to the car and that's a power suply and a wire to the main switch in footwell. The rest just go from module to the actual power lift parts. My concern is I can't seem to see how all this links into the ccc. there should be an option in the ccc for tailgate lift angle. I can't figure out which wires are for that.
Can you see anything in the diogram that looks as if it's for this.

Thank you
the second diagram is simply a more exploded view of the HKL module (A204a), which is also on the first diagram but not with all the wires shown.

dont forget that there is also a switch in the rear door so you will need that switch and the trim piece if yours doesnt have a cut out for it.

regarding the CCC....i think you will need to add 316 to your vehicle order, which was the factory "option" for the automatic tailgate. this is similar to the process for adding sat radio, PDC, or some other option that has a menu in the CCC screen. once you code that, the car should recognize the HKL module and the components of the rear liftgate.

not trying to rain on your parade here, but this seems like far more trouble than its worth. im glad I have the auto liftgate, but it's not something i would try to retrofit if my car didnt have it.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:44 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw e61 family wagon so o/e
Model Year: 2008

Yeah I managed to figure it out in the end . It's all installed now. About half a days work all in

I only decided to fit this due to having it lying around. I stripped a 535 about a year ago and it came off that along with other goodies.

Works a treat. Thanks for all the help. 👍