E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

HUD or DMS??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 01:24 PM
JLS
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right - cars due in four weeks and had a call from my dealer with a "last chance" to add/change any options. My options list is perfect for me (and plenty extensive enough already!!) but I have this little itch about getting HUD (always wanted to be a pilot or something!! )

Anyway, after spending the best part of ?6k on extra's already I've decided it's one or the other - but not both (my other car cost enough just to be ran at weekends as it is) a trip to DMS (tuning company) for another 50bhp and a load more torque or the gadget delight that is HUD.

I think I know the answer already but it's a heart v right foot thing What do you think I should spend that last ?1k on??
Old 08-14-2006, 01:42 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

toy or performance
Old 08-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Your E61 is a very fast car allready. And you can do the DMS any time later, maybe in a year as a birthday gift or something.

Take the HUD, it's an option you will love!
Old 08-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I agree - get the HUD, but only if you have navigation. I had it on my 05 545 and miss it on the 550. You can always add a DMS remap at a later time, HUD is not going to be quite so easy to retrofit.

Edit - I see you do have nav so it's a no brainer - get the HUD
Old 08-14-2006, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think Iceman's idea makes the most sense. Get the HUD now, enjoy the car, etc. You can always do the DMS remap later on (you can't do the HUD later on...)

Oh, and one more thing -- I just love that you began your post with a "right" -- what a great way for me to imagine your British accent asking the question!
Old 08-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Members

Anytime I miss an option a lot when I have to drive a different car, I know it's an option worth having. I ALWAYS miss HUD if I drive a car without it.

It's worth having!
Old 08-15-2006, 02:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by JLS' post='322566' date='Aug 14 2006, 10:24 PM
I think I know the answer already but it's a heart v right foot thing What do you think I should spend that last ?1k on??
Three points:

1) As Iceman points out - re-mapping can be done at any time for the same cost; HUD cannot...
2) I would wait for a re-mapping until the car has at least 4-5k miles - if nothing else to make sure that it hangs together well and that there are no problems with the engine
3) How about negotiating a good price for HUD and going for e-maps remapping @?350 instead of ?800?

(I have no connection with e-maps, but they seem to be getting reviews as good as DMS on this board)

Enjoy the drive!

D
Old 08-15-2006, 04:02 AM
Members

Another vote for HUD from me.

My car had it on when I bought it. I wasn't going to spec it on a new car as I thought it was a gimmick - albeit a really cool one.

However, now I think I would really miss it. You find you rarely look at the clock and having the nav arrow indication on the HUD and the map on the display gives you the best of both worlds, especially if you want to turn the nav voice off. The cruise control speed is also a very useful thing to have in your eyeline. Pity only the M5 gets the tacho mode.

Unless you are changing from something quicker, I would wait until you have grown accustomed to the car's pace and feel you need to add some extra sparkle again before turning to DMS. If it is a 535d you are buying, that might take a while
Old 08-16-2006, 06:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 535dSE - Amethyst Grey, No model insc, standard wheels, Dynamic Drive, Rear side airbags, Auto-dim ext & int mirrors, Myrtle wood trim, Amethyst-Exclusive Leather, Heated front & rear seats, Active front seats, Electric comfort seats, Visibilty Pack, Pro Sat-Nav with TV, Bluetooth, Sun Protection glass.

I've never tried the HUD so I don't know if it's any good, but judging by the reactions of those that do have it I'd go for that first or you could go for E-Maps remap instead of DMS and you will save almost enough to get the HUD as well. It's hard to change your mind later if you've dismissed the HUD.

Personally I couldn't live without my polaroids, so that knocks the HUD on the head when I'm wearing them.

Beleive me, if it's a 535d you're going for it's deceptively fast. The engine's barely turning but the car's flying.

Enjoy it!
Old 08-16-2006, 10:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

Definitely the HUD, one of the main reasons I have decided to not get a 335d or i is because of the lack of HUD, it is without doubt the best feature of the car when combined with the Nav, superb!

Quick Reply: HUD or DMS??