E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

How to open a closed shopping rear hatch glass ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How to open a closed shopping rear hatch glass ?
I think I have to replace the micro switch, but at the same time it?s also possible that the wire harness is broken. I did a replacement of the left side
But I got so bored when I solder all the cables so I didn?t repair the right side. So far only defect is the defroster that doesn?t work but I don't need it.

Yesterday I washed the car and then the shopping glass started to pop up and now suddenly it?s not possible to open at all.
So I think I got water inside the already bad switch(probably).

My plan is to buy a new switch but to replace it I think it's poosible open the small plastic ? lid ?on top of the switch ( below the wiper) and shorten the cable to be able to open the glass and reach the screws to open the lid. I doen't matter if I damage the already broken switch ( if it's borken...?)

Or do you have any other suggestions how to open this glass plate?

Poor quality on this car?I have faced too many different problems with this car. It takes a lot of time to solve all different problems.
Too expensive to let repair shop do the repairs.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Well - when my rear screen stopped working and then the central locking and the rear glass, it turned out to be the wiring loom, not the switch.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:34 AM
Members

What is the most easy way to check if the microswitch or cable is broken?
I only have carsoft interface...I suppose it's not possible to open the lid by the program?
Else it's a good way to figure out of the switch or cables are broken...
Old 02-15-2012, 05:01 AM
Senior Members

kamelkungen, there is a huge topic here on exactly this problem, there is a way to open it up manually, however you have to dismantle the plastic covering on the inside of the tailgate.

if I have time later I will search for the thread. you can also try in the meantime.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Members

Hello,
The switch is broken. Suddenly the glass open by itself. I tried the new switch through the connecor and the lock works.

But I faced some problems to replace the micro switch housing I bought.
I have taken all the screws and nuts away but still it's stucked like hell by an unknown reason?
I don't want to bend becuase then I maybe damage the glass. I pull hard but if doesn't move at all !

See attached pictures from my project.

If you have any ideas how to release the microswitch housing, please let me know!
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails How to open a closed shopping rear hatch glass ?-dsc00169.jpg   How to open a closed shopping rear hatch glass ?-dsc00174.jpg   How to open a closed shopping rear hatch glass ?-dsc00173.jpg   How to open a closed shopping rear hatch glass ?-dsc00172.jpg   How to open a closed shopping rear hatch glass ?-dsc00171.jpg  

How to open a closed shopping rear hatch glass ?-dsc00170.jpg  
Old 02-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Members

Hi...if you know how to take away this micro switch housing...please let me know.
I have no ideas for the moment!
Old 02-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 06' 530xi E61 Saphire Black / Dakota Black - aluminum 11' A4 Avant 2.0T Brilliant Black / Black - aluminum

Had the same issue and the cause was a corroded wiring loom as others have posted.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:29 AM
New Members

Hello ,
my car had the same trouble. Whith humidity the latch window was self opening. The micro switch was no more waterproof. Micro switch was replaced, very easy, 32 euro component price.
No it is ok.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:33 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by kamelkungen
Hi...if you know how to take away this micro switch housing...please let me know.
I have no ideas for the moment!
easy, use a wrench carefully to release the mmicro switch. It is only help by a cone/cone assembly.
Regards
Old 02-28-2012, 04:51 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D Tourer - Pre LCI

I've recently replaced my loom as my glass had stuck shut - I did a small DIY (in the DIY section of the forum) on how to release the glass - which in turn will open it up to allow you access to the loom.

Tim

Quick Reply: How to open a closed shopping rear hatch glass ?