E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

How to lower a E61 with Self-levelling rear suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 02:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d
Model Year: E61 2006

I mounted eibach springs on the front but the rear is not as easy to lower as some members told me earlier. Some said that BMW could lower the rear with the BMW computer. To lower my rear they need to change the position of the rear sensors of the suspension. It is a bit tricky at first but once you get used to it, you can lower the rear everytime you want in 30 minutes with a car jack. You need to take off the rear wheels to acess the suspension sensor.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 535d Fully loaded

And are you still having the hard ride problem you mentioned in the other thread?
Old 02-13-2007, 02:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hellraiser' post='390349' date='Feb 12 2007, 01:34 AM
And are you still having the hard ride problem you mentioned in the other thread?
The hard ride was due to bad configuration of the rear suspension. When i took it for the first time to BMW dealer to lower the rear, i told them that i read in a web forum that the BMW Computer had a function that will lower the rear. The only option for the suspension that they found in the BMW PC was a carrying mode that open the suspension valves and shut down the air compressor. This way you can smash the rear when carrying it on a trailer because you won't stress the rear suspension. But for driving it with this mode on, on the road the car ride became really hard because it feels like a suspension with only springs and no shocks.
We found that to lower the rear, the trick is to change the suspension sensors position on the rear.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:40 PM
Senior Members

And where is your BMW dealer...i?m from Portugal too!!

And i want to lower the car too!
Old 02-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hellraiser' post='391165' date='Feb 13 2007, 09:40 PM
And where is your BMW dealer...i?m from Portugal too!!

And i want to lower the car too!
AMG Car in Almada. Did you already took off the the roof rails?
Old 02-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

i usually go to Luacar in alfragide but they suck....

I have remove the roof rails yet because that want to charge the hell out of me!

I would have to sell the car to have money to pay those guys!!
Old 03-26-2007, 12:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi Sports Wagon, Steptronic, Sapphire Black, Black Dakota, ZPP, CW, NAV, PDC, Rear Shades.

Originally Posted by Tiago' post='390964' date='Feb 13 2007, 04:57 AM
The hard ride was due to bad configuration of the rear suspension. When i took it for the first time to BMW dealer to lower the rear, i told them that i read in a web forum that the BMW Computer had a function that will lower the rear. The only option for the suspension that they found in the BMW PC was a carrying mode that open the suspension valves and shut down the air compressor. This way you can smash the rear when carrying it on a trailer because you won't stress the rear suspension. But for driving it with this mode on, on the road the car ride became really hard because it feels like a suspension with only springs and no shocks.
We found that to lower the rear, the trick is to change the suspension sensors position on the rear.
How exactly was the changing of the rear suspension sensors position accomplished? The sensors sit on brackets. Where the brackets changed in any way? Got any pictures of your changed sensor setup?
Old 03-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by asawadude' post='407017' date='Mar 26 2007, 01:44 AM
How exactly was the changing of the rear suspension sensors position accomplished? The sensors sit on brackets. Where the brackets changed in any way? Got any pictures of your changed sensor setup?
Yes, I'm curious about this as well.

Looking to lower my car and NOT do it through the computer.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:12 AM
Members

When I bought the car I did not choose the Sports suspension. Then I learnt it was a mistake. After some investigations, I will install Bilstein B6 Sports shock abs on my car.

But I will not lower the car. I like to park it facing the footpath and not to damage the spoiler low end.

Greetings from Spain
Old 03-30-2007, 08:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Had a look today, the sensors are rotary and have an 'arm', attaching to the suspension arms like a mini ARB.

Presumably the easiest way to lower is to rotate the switch on the bracket, wouldn't need to be much though. Presumably keeping them the same on each side would be important.

Or shorten the linkage?

Quick Reply: How to lower a E61 with Self-levelling rear suspension?