5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E61 Touring Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/)
-   -   How hard is water pump and thermostat replacement (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/how-hard-water-pump-thermostat-replacement-145761/)

JNJ 09-29-2016 12:55 PM

How hard is water pump and thermostat replacement

Pretty sure my water pump of thermostat failed. Got the yellow warning then the red warning saying to immediately shut down. Also zero heat in the cabin. Coolant level isn't low. So going to have to do a replacement of both. How hard is the job? Any tips? Anything different from ours cars to other N54 cars?

RCB 09-29-2016 01:22 PM

It's not the funniest job in the world and the biggest difference is the X-drive making things a bit more crammed. I wouldn't want to do this without a lift but it's been done on jack stands.
You'll need someone extensions and swivels but if you have worked on your N54 before you probably already have them, LOL.
I would get a few of the hoses and be sure to get new water pump aluminum bolts. The most important hose to change is 11537545665

Also check your coolant expansion tank for hairline cracks. That is very common as well. For the cost you might as well replace it if it's original to the car.

RCB 09-29-2016 01:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have my car on the lift with the frame out so I took a few pics for you to get an idea of what you are up against. Keep in mind you have far less room with the subframe in place.

Attachment 152027

Attachment 152028

Attachment 152029

JNJ 09-29-2016 02:00 PM

Thanks for the pics! That doesn't look to bad but it's going to be brutal I can tell. Atleast it's upfront

Lotus99 09-29-2016 02:13 PM

Don't forget of course the mounting hardware required for both the thermostat and water pump, because the bolts are one-time-use aluminum ones.

pocholin 09-29-2016 05:06 PM

JNJ, the one thing you haven't said and it makes a big difference is what kind of drive you have RWD or AWD. The photos above are for RWD. It is much harder with AWD because of front axle and AWD hardware being on your way.

Lotus99 09-29-2016 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by pocholin (Post 1582641)
JNJ, the one thing you haven't said and it makes a big difference is what kind of drive you have RWD or AWD. The photos above are for RWD. It is much harder with AWD because of front axle and AWD hardware being on your way.

There aren't any E61 RWD cars in North America, are there? His location is Ohio.

JNJ 09-29-2016 05:59 PM

Yup awd wagon. It's parked in the garage now. Will tackle this next week when I'm home to mess around with it.

RCB 09-29-2016 07:08 PM

I think everyone looked at the pics but didn't read my first post, LOL.

The pics are of my E61 that is apart for a bunch of work. Part of doing the oil pan gasket is changing the front axel seals and diff/ axle housing o-rings.

JNJ don't let those pics trick you, there is very little room to work with the frame in place.
One thing that will help is removing the radiator fan assembly to give yourself a little more room. It takes less then 10 minutes to remove. Just be sure to get 2 new o-rings for the oil cooler lines if you do take it out.

bmwmonkey 10-02-2016 09:20 PM

I would recommend not doing this on the E61 535xi. Unless you have really small hands and a ton of tools and a lift.

The waterpumps are faulty parts, take it to an Indy shop that offers a warranty on the work. Chances are likely that warranty will be used as the parts fail even with proper install.