E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

High Battery Drain Warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Silver Gray, Automatic, Navigation, Heads Up Display; Premium Package, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Sound System 2003 M3, Dakar Yellow, SMG

Has anybody eles been getting a High Battery Drain warning when he starts his 530xiT after it has been off for a few hours? My dealer tells me that BMW is aware of the problem -- the BMW Assist cell phone is waking up and erroneously trying to report a stolen vehicle -- but BMW does know how to fix it yet. BMW also says that the problem should not drain the battery so that the car will not start.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 535d MSport ; Retired at 110,000 miles October 2010: 2010 535d MSport; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam assistant, Prof. Nav, Voice Control,SAT, Adaptive Drive, Powered boot, Comfort Access, Climate Comfort W/Screen, Surround View, Side/Rear Sunblinds, Comfort Seats, HUD, Active Cruise, TV, Prof Loudspeaker, Night Vision, Lane Change warning, 4-Zone A/C, split rear seats, Speed Limit Display

This is a well known problem on E60/E61, and there's a service bulletin;

SUBJECT
"High Battery Drain" Message in CID

MODEL
E60/E61 (5 Series) with N52 engine.

SITUATION
A check control message "High battery drain, increased battery discharging while stopped, vehicle may not start" is shown in the CID (Central Information Display) when starting the car.

Fault code 2DED "Power management, closed circuit current monitoring" is stored in the MSV70 DME (Digital Motor Electronics).

The vehicle starts every time, and there are no other symptoms of low battery problems.

CAUSE
The closed circuit current momentarily exceeds its threshold value when the TCU wakes up to perform the "Stolen Vehicle Recovery" function. This should not cause a discharged battery.

CORRECTION
Do not replace parts. A solution is being developed and will be published shortly.

In case of customer complaint, check the battery and recharge if necessary.

If the battery is low, then the customer may have an additional problem causing the battery to go down. In this case, carry out additional troubleshooting to identify and correct the root cause.

Hopefully will be fixed with CIP 19, but don't hold your breath....
Old 09-17-2005, 05:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Gray Dog' date='Aug 9 2005, 07:33 PM
Has anybody eles been getting a High Battery Drain warning when he starts his 530xiT after it has been off for a few hours?? My dealer tells me that BMW is aware of the problem -- the BMW Assist cell phone is waking up and erroneously trying to report a stolen vehicle -- but BMW does know how to fix it yet.? BMW also says that the problem should not drain the battery so that the car will not start.
[snapback]157677[/snapback]

I JUST PURCHASED A 530XI--I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. I CONTACTED BMW AND THEY ADVISED THEY WERE AWARE OF THE PROBLEM AND WOULD HAVE A SERVICE CORRECTION BY THE END OF SEPTEMBER. THIS IS SOMEWHAT BOTHERSOME SINCE MY PRIOR BMW'S WOULD OFTEN DRAIN COMPLETELY WHEN LEFT UNUSED FOR A FEW DAYS. WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR RECENT EXPERIENCE?
Old 09-17-2005, 05:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Silver Gray, Automatic, Navigation, Heads Up Display; Premium Package, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Sound System 2003 M3, Dakar Yellow, SMG

Originally Posted by saul' date='Sep 17 2005, 09:08 AM
[quote name='Gray Dog' date='Aug 9 2005, 07:33 PM'] Has anybody eles been getting a High Battery Drain warning when he starts his 530xiT after it has been off for a few hours?? My dealer tells me that BMW is aware of the problem -- the BMW Assist cell phone is waking up and erroneously trying to report a stolen vehicle -- but BMW does know how to fix it yet.? BMW also says that the problem should not drain the battery so that the car will not start.

I JUST PURCHASED A 530XI--I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. I CONTACTED BMW AND THEY ADVISED THEY WERE AWARE OF THE PROBLEM AND WOULD HAVE A SERVICE CORRECTION BY THE END OF SEPTEMBER. THIS IS SOMEWHAT BOTHERSOME SINCE MY PRIOR BMW'S WOULD OFTEN DRAIN COMPLETELY WHEN LEFT UNUSED FOR A FEW DAYS. WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR RECENT EXPERIENCE?
[snapback]171634[/snapback]
[/quote]

Saul,

So far I have not had any starting or other problems even though I continue to get the "High Battery Drain" warning.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Gray Dog' date='Sep 17 2005, 09:44 AM
[quote name='saul' date='Sep 17 2005, 09:08 AM'][quote name='Gray Dog' date='Aug 9 2005, 07:33 PM'] Has anybody eles been getting a High Battery Drain warning when he starts his 530xiT after it has been off for a few hours?? My dealer tells me that BMW is aware of the problem -- the BMW Assist cell phone is waking up and erroneously trying to report a stolen vehicle -- but BMW does know how to fix it yet.? BMW also says that the problem should not drain the battery so that the car will not start.

[snapback]171634[/snapback]
[/quote]

Saul,

So far I have not had any starting or other problems even though I continue to get the "High Battery Drain" warning.
[snapback]171641[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm getting the High Battery Drain warning as well. More when it sits overnight then when I use it a few times in the same day. I was thinking that they problem is made worse by the auto liftgate which probably uses loads of juice. I imagine a few trips to the car without starting could get the battery down pretty quickly.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Gray Dog' date='Aug 9 2005, 08:33 PM
Has anybody eles been getting a High Battery Drain warning when he starts his 530xiT after it has been off for a few hours?? My dealer tells me that BMW is aware of the problem -- the BMW Assist cell phone is waking up and erroneously trying to report a stolen vehicle -- but BMW does know how to fix it yet.? BMW also says that the problem should not drain the battery so that the car will not start.

I was at my dealer yesterday, and he advised me that there now is a software fix for the High Battery Drain warning. Next time I bring my car in for service I will have the fix installed.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:27 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2017 F06 650ix

CIP 19.01 is the latest, and includes the fix for this issue.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by das' date='Oct 1 2005, 12:27 PM
[snapback]177728[/snapback]

Do you know if it also includes the fix for the electric seats not working intermittently?
Old 11-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by Gray Dog' post='171641
thx das, it is quite anyoing I see it my HUD everyday, but sofar no prob.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:34 AM
Contributors

Is this problem only on the "e60 Xi" version?

Quick Reply: High Battery Drain Warning