E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Help with soft close motor for liftgate

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 09:56 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 530D MSport
Model Year: 2005

Yes but what you call "fuses" are relays. One of them is the relay for the soft-close K207 in the diagram. The wire at terminal "6" in the diagram of that relay is the RT/BR Red/Brown wire and it should read a solid 12Volts. If it doesn't then that indicates the fuse or fuse holder or that wire has an issue.

Google BMW K207 to identify the location of the relay or just check the 4 wire colours. Red/Brown, Yellow, Brown, Yellow.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:01 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61

Originally Posted by PeteNZ
Yes but what you call "fuses" are relays. One of them is the relay for the soft-close K207 in the diagram. The wire at terminal "6" in the diagram of that relay is the RT/BR Red/Brown wire and it should read a solid 12Volts. If it doesn't then that indicates the fuse or fuse holder or that wire has an issue.

Google BMW K207 to identify the location of the relay or just check the 4 wire colors. Red/Brown, Yellow, Brown, Yellow.
Update on this

I changed relays and managed to get softlock mechanism working... Sadly the car is reporting that boot is open, i did test the switches in all 3 locks and all are working fine. Can you please aid me and tell me in which module the switch in these boot locks is sending the signals? I need to trace this problem and fix it, the car is getting on my nerves already
Old 02-29-2020, 10:23 AM
New Members

The module is the "Body Control Module".
The 2 most common reasons for the tailgate signalling being open are:
1. the glass hatch release knob (the contacts or mini-circuit board in it go bad). Very very common issues across all the 90's BMW wagons. New knobs are available on eBay very cheap.
2. Broken wires in the tailgate hinges. Very very very common in the E61s. You'd possibly be getting other failures too from wiper & defroster.

Having said that, the fact your relays and modules are still under the cargo floor is unusual. Most cars have had them relocated because of moisture issues. (Clogged sunroof drains causing flooding, tail light leaks or just water spills). In your case if that relay was bad because of moisture then the BCM could also indeed be moisture damaged. If you have parking sensors then that module could also be at risk. Usual mod is to relocate them all to behind the left hand side panel up behind the tail light. The existing wiring loom reaches.

My first step would be 1 then 2.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:33 AM
New Members

Well, when i bought the car it was a known problem. The glass door won't open since car reports that the boot is open so the glass door won't open.
We did test all the wiring and it looks fine (no disconnects)
Later we replaced 2 bad fuzes and those fuzes were for 2 orange relays (which were wrongly replaced as green) at that point softlock in boot didn't work at all but since i did put 2 new orange relays and new 2 fuzes now soft-lock works perfectly. There are no other errors but the first problem stays the boot is open warning light and glass window won't open.

What i don't understand is why the glass release know have to do with the boot is open warning can you explain me that?

Any information can help me to resolve this issue
Old 02-29-2020, 07:28 PM
New Members

When you say you "tested the wiring and it looks ok" what do you mean? The only way to check the hinge wiring is to expose it and very carefully inspect it. No "testing" involved.
The wiring BMW used in this era is prone to fatigue and cracking of both the wire & the insulation when subjected to the extreme angles and forces of the stupid hinge-casing design they came up with.

Last edited by PeteNZ; 02-29-2020 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:47 PM
New Members

If the wires are not broken, the thing that tells the BCM that the tailgate is closed or open is a microswitch in the latching mechanism of the tailgate. (The latch attached to the door, not the motor part in the cargo floor). This may indeed be broken, dirty or misaligned (apparently this happens more often in the E60 but rare in the E61 - I think!). The microswitch in the "open" position is effectively the same as it's wire going to the BCM being broken, which is far more common and likely. I don't have the manual near me so I can't confirm the wiring. Will try to next few days or so and perhaps load a pic.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:05 AM
New Members

If the wires are not broken, the thing that tells the BCM that the tailgate is closed or open is a microswitch in the latching mechanism of the tailgate. (The latch attached to the door, not the motor part in the cargo floor). This may indeed be broken, dirty or misaligned (apparently this happens more often in the E60 but rare in the E61 - I think!). The microswitch in the "open" position is effectively the same as it's wire going to the BCM being broken, which is far more common and likely. I don't have the manual near me so I can't confirm the wiring. Will try to next few days or so and perhaps load a pic.
My friend thank you for your reply ... I'm in a desperate situation.
Are you 100% sure that on e61 top lock is sending a signal for the open boot? Because i was thinking that softclose lock is doing that (there is microswitch inside)
Top lock

Bottom softclose lock

Also the top lock there is no micro switch in it? We tested wires and it is sending a signal both
Old 03-01-2020, 02:52 AM
New Members

No not absolutely sure.
Checked the wiring diagrams and the saloon has the microswitch identified.
Delving into the diagrams further it's not clear for the wagon where the signal to indicate whether the tailgate is open or closed comes from. It seems to suggest the "central locking drive" (whatever that component or group of components is in the wagon) has that function.
Things point to connector X1211 which is the yellow/black wire of your 3 wire plug for the soft close.
Here's the TIS page with the wiring diagram
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ilgate/sKEdbrC
And the central locking drive components:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...tlputs/cl3AJ7K

The diagram for X1297 links it to X1191 (Trunk lid/tailgate lock) and labels it as specific for "Boot lid contact switch" but think this diagram means only for the saloon. (X1191 is in the trunklid/tailgate lock on the first wagon diagram above)
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e61-530i-tou/components-connectors/plug-in-comb-type-solder-connectors/connectors-from-x1/x1297-no-adapter/iVdyO12

Last edited by PeteNZ; 03-01-2020 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:07 AM
New Members

When my soft close motor did not work, the car still knew when the tailgate was open or closed. So that suggests that the action of the soft close motor turning isn't where the signal comes from.

The micro-switch within the softclose would simply be the trigger to tell the motor to stop when rotated 180 deg.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:13 AM
New Members

When my soft close motor did not work, the car still knew when the tailgate was open or closed. So that suggests that the action of the soft close motor turning isn't where the signal comes from.

The micro-switch within the softclose would simply be the trigger to tell the motor to stop when rotated 180 deg.
The question is for what purpose is that micro switch in soft close mechanism...

What i found is this

I will try to check if the signal is coming to the KBM module

Quick Reply: Help with soft close motor for liftgate