E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

HELP! Automatic tailgate won't latch

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 06:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, it's Saturday AM and I am stranded of sorts. My 2006 automatic tailgate will raise and lower but will not latch.

The catch mechanism on the tailgate was in the open position but the internal hook felt loose. Fiddling with it, the catch mechanism now feels like it's in the locked position. Lowering it only causes the tailgate not to latch and raise a few inches.

Any thoughts on how get the the tailgate closed and latched so I can get it to a dealer?

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2009, 06:49 AM
Members

I just opened the small cover and was able to move the latch to the open position but it still won't close securely.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:21 AM
Members

This same problem occurred with my wife's 2006 530xiT today. The latch mechanism would not fully engage leaving the tailgate slightly open.

I disassembled the tailgate to inspect the tailgate lock. After removing the lock it became evident that a small plastic piece inside the lock had broken off and a spring was freely sliding around inside the tailgate lock. I could not fully disassemble the tailgate lock in order to attempt to fix the problem.

I ordered a new tailgate lock from Tischer BMW (part number 51247114612) for about $100 (Tischer Website). I would take the car in for warranty service, but the dealer is in another city and I wanted to make the car useable for wife ASAP. By unplugging the wires going to the tailgate lock and the tailgate actuator button (button on the bottom right of the tailgate), I was able to fully close the tailgate and lock it in place manually using the sliding post underneath the little "trap door". The rear window pane can now be opened so that my wife can access the trunk.

Hopefully the replacement part will be here soon.

Replacing the lock is not very complicated. Once you figure out how to take the trim pieces off the tailgate, then you remove four little hex bolts that affix the lock to the tailgate. The trim pieces are held on with a combination of screws (which are readily visible), two plastic "rivets" on the bottom side of the gate, and little metal fasteners on the undersurface of the trim pieces for which you simply pull firmly (but gently) on to disengage the trim pieces.

Some useful schematic diagrams from realoem.com

realoem.com - tailgate lock schematic & part number

realoem.com - tailgate trim pieces schematic
Old 05-29-2009, 04:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by xiTouring' post='880169' date='May 16 2009, 10:39 AM
Hello all, it's Saturday AM and I am stranded of sorts. My 2006 automatic tailgate will raise and lower but will not latch.

The catch mechanism on the tailgate was in the open position but the internal hook felt loose. Fiddling with it, the catch mechanism now feels like it's in the locked position. Lowering it only causes the tailgate not to latch and raise a few inches.

Any thoughts on how get the the tailgate closed and latched so I can get it to a dealer?

Thanks!
I had a similar problem with my e39. It turned out to be the spring. The end of the spring had broken off. For the e39 BMW didn't sell a new spring but only a full replacement assembly. I was able to repair the spring by stretching and bending it a bit to form a new end hook. It worked fine....

I'd say you have to take your assembly out and take a closer look.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Members

My trunk lid lock was replaced at the dealer under warranty. I did take it apart before dropping the car off and found a sheared pin and loose spring.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by xiTouring' post='894322' date='May 29 2009, 01:53 PM
My trunk lid lock was replaced at the dealer under warranty. I did take it apart before dropping the car off and found a sheared pin and loose spring.
The spring assembly seem to be the common point of failure for the tailgate lock. Sounds like they need to improve the design a little bit.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Elegiac' post='894636' date='May 30 2009, 01:15 AM
The spring assembly seem to be the common point of failure for the tailgate lock. Sounds like they need to improve the design a little bit.
AGREED! The sheared pin in my car was made of a light alloy - probably to save weight.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT - Titanium silver, premium package.

My xi trunk won't latch as of this morningr and I'm 1200kms over my warranty period. Hopefully this doesn't get expensive.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Brad Kane' post='894828' date='May 30 2009, 10:50 AM
My xi trunk won't latch as of this morningr and I'm 1200kms over my warranty period. Hopefully this doesn't get expensive.
Brad, If you're handy, you can DIY. The part itself is about $100 USD.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT - Titanium silver, premium package.

Originally Posted by xiTouring' post='895034' date='May 30 2009, 01:53 PM
Brad, If you're handy, you can DIY. The part itself is about $100 USD.
I'm currently attempting to get the trunk lid trim off. I've got the screws out can't figure out how to get the trim off, seems to be still attached up near the window?

Quick Reply: HELP! Automatic tailgate won't latch