5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E61 Touring Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/)
-   -   Help with air suspension (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/help-air-suspension-146963/)

Robsco 04-24-2017 05:14 PM

Help with air suspension

First let me say hello. Ive been learning from this forum for almost two years, but never posted. Much thanks to all who have shared knowledge. Now to my problem. I have a 2010 e61 and the compressor for air bags wont come on. I know fuses are good, relay is good, and compressor runs if you jump relay. Does anyone know what switches relay? Hoping someone here can help as nearest dealer is over an hour away and honestly i dont trust them anyway

hatterasman 04-25-2017 11:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A quick review of Bentley offers no troubleshooting. Just the following:

Fuse F81 7.5 A
EHC control module A118a - under spare tire, lower left of tray
EHC Relay K126 - under spare tire, left side of tray, bottom relay of 3

Ride height sensors on rear suspension communicate with control module to activate relay.

I attached a document I just found on the web that has a more detailed information of all the modules involved.

Robsco 04-25-2017 12:04 PM

Thanks for the help. I think I have eliminated all but the control module and sensors at wheels. I doubt both wheel sensors would go bad at same time so I'll try the ehc module

Robsco 04-25-2017 01:54 PM

Quick update. Removed module and performed technical fix of blowing and tapping on it, reinstalled and compressor took off. All seems good but I'll try to locate a used module just in case. New is 450+ ouch! Thanks again for help locating correct module

07tundra 02-11-2018 04:08 PM

Running into a similar problem I replaced the compressor and bags nothing turns on? I replaced the relay that's green in the block of three under the spare tire and nothing. There was water under there and some corrosion on all three relays. Should i replace the other two relays also? Is there anything else i should do? does it require programming in inpa?

pocholin 02-11-2018 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by 07tundra (Post 1593759)
Running into a similar problem I replaced the compressor and bags nothing turns on? I replaced the relay that's green in the block of three under the spare tire and nothing. There was water under there and some corrosion on all three relays. Should i replace the other two relays also? Is there anything else i should do? does it require programming in inpa?

When I had water issues with my car the dealer replaced the ride height module and did re-program the module. If you're only replacing relays, you might not need to reprogram, but your problem might be more than just relays.

07tundra 02-11-2018 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by pocholin (Post 1593761)
When I had water issues with my car the dealer replaced the ride height module and did re-program the module. If you're only replacing relays, you might not need to reprogram, but your problem might be more than just relays.

Should I give the ride height module a change?

GTYellowJacket 02-11-2018 07:04 PM

One more (cheap) thing

Originally Posted by 07tundra (Post 1593763)
Should I give the ride height module a change?

One quick suggestion before you start throwing more money and parts at it...

Fire up INPA and check the air suspension system. I see you’re new at this, so it will definitively be worth your while to get well acquainted with INPA. Check for ride height controller faults, try to activate the compressor via SW, and also check which mode it’s in. About a year ago, my car had an electrical fault that somehow reset the controller back into power saving mode, causing it to not run automatically. One simple setting change, and it was back to running normally.

07tundra 02-11-2018 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by GTYellowJacket (Post 1593764)

One quick suggestion before you start throwing more money and parts at it...

Fire up INPA and check the air suspension system. I see you’re new at this, so it will definitively be worth your while to get well acquainted with INPA. Check for ride height controller faults, try to activate the compressor via SW, and also check which mode it’s in. About a year ago, my car had an electrical fault that somehow reset the controller back into power saving mode, causing it to not run automatically. One simple setting change, and it was back to running normally.

I do have inpa but I'm not that knowledgeable to navigate around and do something like that. I can code injectors and thats it. I do have teamviewer if someone could take a look for me? or provide instructions on how to do it?

GTYellowJacket 02-11-2018 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by 07tundra (Post 1593765)
I do have inpa but I'm not that knowledgeable to navigate around and do something like that. I can code injectors and thats it. I do have teamviewer if someone could take a look for me? or provide instructions on how to do it?

E60 —> Functional Jobs —> Error Memory —> Read Error Memory

E60 —> Chassis —> Single Axle Air Suspension —> (control from here)