E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Groaning sound under slow braking

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:07 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was stuck in some slow traffic the other day, and noticed a "groaning" sound under slow braking. I have now noticed it a couple other times since. It's not brake squeaking pad against rotor sound, more like some part relatedd to the ABS system pr electric pump... any thoughts?

Thanks, SebasSF
Old 11-04-2011, 05:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

I often get this screeching sound under heavy braking.

But that comes from my wife.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:14 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Kell lol nice one.

I get something similar when lifting off the brake. Usually when the car is at a complete stop or I just started it and I lift off the break I get a "groaning" sort of sound as well. Car is due for a checkup this month so will double check what that is. I don't believe it's supposed to do that. Does your sound happen in the similar way or is it when rolling and then softly pressing on the brakes?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Same here in low speed; especially when turning in to a parking lot and braking at the same time. Always wondered what it was.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

I had the same issue and the dealer replaced the rear brake pads under some type of bulletin . I have to say that I still hear is some times.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:41 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by narvselius
Same here in low speed; especially when turning in to a parking lot and braking at the same time. Always wondered what it was.
Yup mine does this too .....especially noticeable of VERY smooth roads just as you are coming to rest. I thought possibly brakes binding a little or or possibly wheel bearing noise. I'm sure I can "feel" it through the steering wheel. May possibly be tyre noise (uniroyals) so was waiting til I put some winter tyres on to see if that made any difference

JR
Old 11-16-2011, 04:49 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Kell
I often get this screeching sound under heavy braking.

But that comes from my wife.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:39 AM
New Members

I have the answer.... it's tyre noise not braking noise as I suspected.

I've just changed to winter tyres & now it's completely silent. Previously I had Uniroyal's (not run-flats) and they groaned at low speed on smooth surfaces

Easy way to confirm, slow down to about 5mph on a smooth road where you'd normally hear the groaning then lift our foot off the brake....the noise continues (well it did on mine) so it cant be brakes. Anything above 5mph and you don't hear it hence it's easy to think it's a low speed braking noise.

Hope this helps

JR
Old 12-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jonrarit
I have the answer.... it's tyre noise not braking noise as I suspected.

I've just changed to winter tyres & now it's completely silent. Previously I had Uniroyal's (not run-flats) and they groaned at low speed on smooth surfaces

Easy way to confirm, slow down to about 5mph on a smooth road where you'd normally hear the groaning then lift our foot off the brake....the noise continues (well it did on mine) so it cant be brakes. Anything above 5mph and you don't hear it hence it's easy to think it's a low speed braking noise.

Hope this helps

JR

Tell me more about the uniroyals ? I am thinking of changing my RFT's on my E61 to standard tyres, but can't seem to find anything that matched the load rating in standard rubber.