E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Front Mount Intercooler options for the 535

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Mount Intercooler options for the 535

So I've started researching this a bit, since there's so little on it, and see that only a couple of members have done the upgrade. TLO03 had his local shop do a custom one.

Then this guy installed the CPE one, but seems like a bit of trimming and modifying various things is involved.

Article: Finally! A FMIC (front mount intercooler) option for the 535 from CP-E. Pictures of the install on a 2008 535i with the N54

Even though CPE says their intercooler is a "535" intercooler:

BMW 535

And then there's the Evolution Racewerks one, which says requires no modifications, maintains ALL factory components, and is "developed specifically for the 535i".

Sports Series Front Mount Intercooler |

It looks very pretty too...

So I'm actually thinking of getting an ER one, if the deals are good enough on Black Friday.

I have to find out how much gains there are to be had going from a Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive map to a Stage 1+ Aggressive map (which takes into account the FMIC), to do a bit of cost/benefit in my head...

Comments anyone?
EDIT - When doing the math (correct me if I'm wrong), it's hard to justify getting it though... A nice Cobb tune runs about $750, for which you'll get around 75 HP increase. Whereas with a FMIC, I'll be into it $1500 all in probably, and I might get 25 to 30 more HP, though I'm sure the power curve will also be better (I know it's not just the peak number that counts). Since I don't plan on tracking the car, or ever adding meth to it, I wonder if it's worth doing it...

So I'm thinking I might be better off spending that money elsewhere to get more enjoyment out of the car, like on swaybars, and other things.

Convince me why I should get a FMIC!

Last edited by Glowin; 11-12-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

The theory is now that all 335 I/C fit 535. When i did mine I was afraid to buy something that might fit...
but guys have installed ER's Cpe's and i believe an active autowerks has been installed as well ..
not sure which fits best but all perform similarly I'm sure..

As far as HP gains I/C themselves do and don't really add power .. what they do definitely do is lower charge air temps allowing a bit more advance which will net you more HP.. I/Cis a supporting mod on your way to more boost and HP.. Do you need them? no.
but if you want to get the most out of a tune keep your turbos air cooler do it..

for all your 535 mod question go here be careful the rabbit hole goes deep.
FMIC for 535xi - N54tech.com | BMW N54 N55 135 335 535 Turbo Performance Forum
Old 11-14-2013, 08:27 AM
Members

Thanks for the comments. The CPE one though according to that guy needed some work, and the 335 ones in the link you posted, IIRC some people said a bit of cutting and work relocating things, L brackets, etc. were involved.

Regardless, the more I think about it, since this isn't my DD, and I won't be driving it as much, I'm thinking the $1500 I'd have to spend wouldn't be a good use of money, for the gains I'd get. If I want to mod things more on this car, I'll go to sway bars and maybe a strut bar, and see how they firm up the ride.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:06 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fitment is completely different between the 135/335 and the 535 systems. The Evolution Racewerks FMIC is made specifically for the 535i/xi models. We've installed plenty here at the shop and install generally takes between 2 hours to complete.

A FMIC is to keep intake air temperatures (IAT) down for more efficient cooling. ER has done extensive testing on the proper size to use to effectively cool the hot charged air as well as fight off “heatsoaking” (when the intercooler cannot transfer heat away faster than the heat building up from the hot intake air). “Heatsoaking” is not an issue at all as shown by consistency of the IAT staying in the same temperature range throughout the WHOLE RPM powerband.

The ER FMIC recovers so fast after a full throttle pull that once you shift, it recovers completely. This is why pull after pull, there isn't a heat soak issue with the ER FMIC. You'll be able to beat on the car all day long and the IAT’s will consistently be near ambient temperatures, thus allowing your car to perform at its peak!

We will be running some killer Black Friday specials on the ER products as well as the Cobb V2 unit. It will definitely be worth your time and every dollar spent!
Old 11-24-2013, 11:26 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: 535xi Wagon
Model Year: 2010

I am going to direct you over the N54tech again. No need to spend crazy amounts of money on a IC when there are already proven results that work. I believe you can obtain this IC for about 300 shipped depending on were you look. The install is easy enough I am surprised that this is not the common IC mod over here, everybody tends to lean towards CPE for more money than what it cost to get a new AR XI DP!! Well I could not see the justification, so I went the the DP first.

I plan on installing this same IC in my E61, see link below for install and logs.

aftermarket e90 intercoolers fit on e60 - N54tech.com | BMW N54 N55 135 335 535 Turbo Performance Forum
Old 11-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Members

i have the ER on our E61 & it fit beautifully & works very well. I've had many turbo cars & modded them all & the ER parts ive used are completely exemplary of getting great products for reasonable prices from a reputable company.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:12 AM
New Members

An intercooler is super, super easy to install. You don't have to buy a kit from someone. All you need to do is find an IC core and get the correct piping and you're good to go. The only reason some of these kits are $1,000 plus is because of the name on it and the convenience of not having to custom fab anything up.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:26 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: 535xi Wagon
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by karl.all8
An intercooler is super, super easy to install. You don't have to buy a kit from someone. All you need to do is find an IC core and get the correct piping and you're good to go. The only reason some of these kits are $1,000 plus is because of the name on it and the convenience of not having to custom fab anything up.
Ding Ding Ding - Somebody gets this, no reason to pay outrageous prices. Has nobody heard of "Big Tom" intercooler? If you have an N54 in your E61 your good to go, this is engine is extremely easy to make huge power with very little money. The people on this forum need to try searching around on the internet and jump over to some other forums. N54tech, Bimmerboot and start a little research on the possibility's and enhancements for this car.

Need a Tune, Grab a Barv Tech Cable and Flash Via BB software - Free
Custom Tune - Wedge Performance - Donate
DP - Unfortunately this is a pricey option but if you don't have a XI only Dr, Euro $600 / AR $800 XI
Intercooler - $350 proven and with logs!
Intake - Mr 5 / Burger $80
Charge Pipe VRSF $160

For around $1250 you can have a beast of a machine within a Wagon mind you!

After this I would def do brakes but M5 Brakes fit this car and they are all over ebay for cheap!